ICP gauge

Extended Power

Ok...we have been talking about the ICP on our trucks, and what it needs to be at for our trucks to run properly.
Some of the more "Seasoned" members have stated that if you use AE software, it will give you false readings of only around 1700-1800psi.

My questions, which gauges are available to us, who has them installed, where do you have it installed, and where did you tie in for the sensing line?

I just sent one to Danny (imelmo). He got and isspro. Isspro and diprocl* are the only two companies I know of that make them.

Ivan, I pm'ed you on PSN.

I just ordered my isspro from diesel manor for like 18X.XX it just taps into your icp sensor from what i understand

I just sent one to Danny (imelmo). He got and isspro. Isspro and diprocl* are the only two companies I know of that make them.

These are the easiest two. Depending on what you are doing, you can make a gauge, but these two gauges are very easy to install.

I run the Isspro performax, it just plugs between the ICP and the plug super easy install.

Yup, got mine installed and it works great so far. It just piggy-backs onto the icp and you run your power wires.

I personally never had a problem with a 20 dollar hydraulic gauge and 30 bucks worth of hose...

Couple zip-ties and you're there.

Here's the kicker.....

The cheapy mech gauge is the only one that will show you flutters and fluctuations that you need to see for diagnostics in certain cases. I know, I've been there too many times. Digital is pointless..... and electric analog won't have the sampling rate, and if it did, the stepper motor drive won't have the reaction time. With the mech gauge the fluid physically moves the needle. Brilliantly simple, accurate and cost effective. Unless it's supposed to be for looks, in which case it doesn't really matter if it works anyway. So get whatever looks the coolest.

My gauge reacts to every little bit never had a problem with it not keeping up:what: besides who wants 4000psi of oil going into their cab I could only imagine the mess if something went wrongLOL.

My gauge reacts to every little bit never had a problem with it not keeping up:what: besides who wants 4000psi of oil going into their cab I could only imagine the mess if something went wrongLOL.

It's not physically possible for it to keep up with high frequency pressure flutters.... sorry. It's not in the cards. Explain to me exactly how you would know the fluctuations you're missing when you don't have a mechanical gauge to see them with? (scratches head)

lol.

And you leave the gauge outside the cab. I always just zip-tied it to the antenna.

On Edit:

Here ya go...

2579722550082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

High and low pressure.

(Scratches head and falls out of chair)

- How can you see them....
- I would rather have an oil bath them have them zip tied outside

No wait... I would rather my truck blow up then to see this on my antenna.

Mech Gauge:

- Clearly displays the data we're after.
- Shows transient fluctuations an electric gauge is incapable of showing.
- Costs 1/10th what an electric gauge does
- Can be installed/uninstalled whenever needed in under 5 minutes

And as I said before, if functionality takes a back seat to looks, then none of that matters anyway. So if you're only looking for a "cool" new gauge, then just get a really cool looking one of your choice and wire it all up so that it lights up and looks cool. Maybe even have a little control box that makes the needle jump all around and have a few lights that blink in random patterns all the time. Kind of like the cool knobs and buttons on Fisher Price toys. The fact that they aren't functional doesn't seem to bother the little rug rats one bit because they look cool, and they're fun to play with. I guess it's all about what you're after. Pertinent and accurate information, or a cool gauge to look at.

Mech Gauge:

- Clearly displays the data we're after.
- Shows transient fluctuations an electric gauge is incapable of showing.
- Costs 1/10th what an electric gauge does
- Can be installed/uninstalled whenever needed in under 5 minutes

What kind of frequencies of fluctuations are you expecting? I would be interested in seeing video of the mechanical gauge in action, to see what kind of fluctuations are present. I know of at least one customer who ran a parallel mechanical gauge, and he was seeing the exact same values as the ISSPRO electronic gauge. Most mechanical bourdon tube gauges will include some form of restriction to damp out extreme pulsations, so a mechanical gauge may actually be more damped than an electronic one!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

What kind of frequencies of fluctuations are you expecting? I would be interested in seeing video of the mechanical gauge in action, to see what kind of fluctuations are present. I know of at least one customer who ran a parallel mechanical gauge, and he was seeing the exact same values as the ISSPRO electronic gauge. Most mechanical bourdon tube gauges will include some form of restriction to damp out extreme pulsations, so a mechanical gauge may actually be more damped than an electronic one!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Funny you say this. I remember someone talking about this back in the day, maybe it was you.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Try that test on a truck that actually needs a gauge on it, not just on one using a gauge for fun, and for maximum value readings (that could have been acquired through a datalog anyway).

Like, on a truck with an oil aeration issue. The gauge will move and shudder INSANELY quickly. Approaching speeds that the human eye cannot perceive. I know watching the mech gauge flutter on the flowbench, at times it shudders into a blurry needle.

What is your drive system for the electric sweep gauge? Stepper? I just don't see it showing these things with great clarity, if at all.

That's all I'm saying. If so, great. Then choose to pay for the electric for reasons of style. But I don't see it capturing and displaying the same data in the same useful way.

We do use a stepper motor, and we have some pretty aggressive acceleration in our control software, but we do intentionally damp out extremely high frequency fluctuations (it tends to wear out stepper motors, and the majority of customers tend to complain about that type of pointer motion). With the aeration issue, I can see where you would get that type of behavior in actual pressure.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

X2 that's so redneck even rednecks wouldn't admit to doing thatLOL

Back