intercooler delete??

duramaxcummins

Chevy Cummins
i got a 12 valve thats in my 01 chevy duramax truck. so far all i got is 5x.18 injectors, s300 turbo, modded pump, and a big *ss fuel line to aid with fuel. Im wanting to know, would it be find to delete the intercooler and run a pipe going straight to the intake? I plan on doing a heck of a lot more with the motor but at the time im having problems with keeping the radiator cool, so i want to move the electric fans closer to the radiator so i can push cooler air in them instead of going through the intercooler first. since the motor is in a chevy truck i couldnt use the stock fan the dodge trucks use, i just dont have the room. instead i just put the fans infront of the intercooler to push the air. if anyoneone has any ideas i could use the help. this is the only problem im having. oh yeh, and its the intercooler and radiator from a lb7 duramax. thanks!

What are your plans with the truck?

With no intercooler you will see higher egts faster. I have seen some do it for sled pulling but they also burn A LOT of water in a 300' stretch to keep it cool.

well i dont know for sure what my plans are. i'd like to drive it around a little for now, but i figured if i gave it lots of air on the turbo, than i could keep it cooler w/o getting real bad on egts. just gettin ideas for now. if i gotta turn my fuel way back down, than i will for now. my number one concern rite now is im tryin to get the coolant temps down. i dont think my 3 electric fans are pushing the cool air that it needs.

Give it a try and see what happens. Some of the 1st gen Dodges didnt have intercoolers, but they didnt make scads of power either.

What year is the Cummins you have? Did it have an auto or manual originally?

its a 96 cummins 12 valve.it has a auto in it, same one that was behind it when it was in the dodge truck. same with transfercase. i just dont wana have somethin bad happen i guess. so figured id see if anyone had any good ideas on here. i run the truck about 4 miles hard, and the thing shoots up to over 250 degrees. i let it sit there and the fans kick on and it'll start to cool down. the fans kick on at 140 degrees but like i said. they dont keep up, im wondering if its from the air in the intercooler or if the fans just plain out are junk and dont work good enough.

Was the truck a diesel before? If so I would think the radiator is big enough since the Duramax is a larger CID engine. The ratiators in the 98+ Dodges are pretty thin, about half as thick as my 97.

How much room do you have for a different radiator?

I wouldnt do it, keep the IC and upgrade the rad. Been there if you put the fuel to a 12v they are flat going to get hot egt wise. I started my race truck w/o the cac and now have one, i didnt want the extra clutter and wieght but... i still have tons of egt issues but the IC will help. I acually bought a alum. Afco racing rad. from a dirt track shop, and its so fregin effec. the thing wont get warm enough to even cycle the t-stat! I replaced the stat wondering if that was the issue, but the rad. just does a killer job. And its tiny compaired to say the rad. your prob. using now. I still have the box in the shop if you interested at all i;ll get you the part # or maybe you can look them up on thier site, im sure they have one? It was around 169.00, i have it and a 16" elect. fan wich i keep OFF trying to get heat in the motor. I have also rec. gutted all the acc. on the front of the motor belt and all, in favor of the new elect. pump. It all acts the same temp wise as before, its just lots cleaner and allowed me to run tons more filter right off the front of the turbo. Dont lose your CAC, your going to always put fuel in it and make great power when ever you want to, and not going to have a chance in hell of keeping it cool... egt wise that is. Also my W/M injection kit does nothing for ME, take it for what its worth.. Get you a Good Effeciant Radiator.

I wouldnt do it, keep the IC and upgrade the rad. Been there if you put the fuel to a 12v they are flat going to get hot egt wise. I started my race truck w/o the cac and now have one, i didnt want the extra clutter and wieght but... i still have tons of egt issues but the IC will help. I acually bought a alum. Afco racing rad. from a dirt track shop, and its so fregin effec. the thing wont get warm enough to even cycle the t-stat! I replaced the stat wondering if that was the issue, but the rad. just does a killer job. And its tiny compaired to say the rad. your prob. using now. I still have the box in the shop if you interested at all i;ll get you the part # or maybe you can look them up on thier site, im sure they have one? It was around 169.00, i have it and a 16" elect. fan wich i keep OFF trying to get heat in the motor. I have also rec. gutted all the acc. on the front of the motor belt and all, in favor of the new elect. pump. It all acts the same temp wise as before, its just lots cleaner and allowed me to run tons more filter right off the front of the turbo. Dont lose your CAC, your going to always put fuel in it and make great power when ever you want to, and not going to have a chance in hell of keeping it cool... egt wise that is. Also my W/M injection kit does nothing for ME, take it for what its worth.. Get you a Good Effeciant Radiator.

i would be interested in that actually! seeing how i have clearance issues already, i'd love to get me somethin that is worth my time and does a good job for me. if its not too much of a problem, do u have pics of urs? and would u also happen to have the demensions on urs? thanks a ton! i'll be lookin forward to checkin out what these people have! i want this thing on the road!

I ran my 96 with no cac for a while. Went to ts an put down 450 at the wheels. I had almost the same setup, but had a 150 psi pump with 2 625 nozzels and a 220 psi pump with 3 625 nozzels. The 220 pump came on at 15psi full by 30, the the 150 psi pump came on. still could have used more water. truck ran hot but not all that bad made good power, eventhow i was way over fueled. went throught water fast if you were on it alot.

If it's getting hot water temps with a Dmax radiator something is wrong. Fix the problem and do not remove the CAC. My Cummins in my old ford truck won't get hot without a fan at all unless towing.

I have read about many 12 valve swaps where they did not use an IC and had water temp problems. I honestly think your water temps will go higher if you remove the IC. Your best bet is flush the system and make sure your water pump and coolant system is up to snuff. For 15 bucks, you can add a bottle of Redline Water Wetter, that will be good for 25-50* lower water temps. But like others have said, something is not right if your have a huge Dmax Rad and your getting too hot.

I've never seen a late model Chevy that USED to be a Duramax be fitted with a Cummins.. Got any pics?

yea i would like to see that too. i would use it if it cools a diesel that good

Was the truck a diesel before? If so I would think the radiator is big enough since the Duramax is a larger CID engine. The ratiators in the 98+ Dodges are pretty thin, about half as thick as my 97.

How much room do you have for a different radiator?

The radiators from 94 to 2002 in the diesels are all exactly the same minus 2002 they didnt paint them black.

If it's getting hot water temps with a Dmax radiator something is wrong. Fix the problem and do not remove the CAC. My Cummins in my old ford truck won't get hot without a fan at all unless towing.

I agree 100%. There is something else wrong if this setup isnt working. I dont run a cooling fan at all on my 97 and I have my water pump clipped and I never get above 220 even under a hard run.

yeh i will see if i can get you guys some pics of this truck, its not all done but it looks good! okay i guess i will ask it this way than with the radiator, i have the radiator hooked up EXACTLY like in a duramax motor, the overflow/reservor tank is t-ed in with the bottom hose, than the top hose goes to the top of the motor. the engine has 200k miles on it. i was planning on goin all through the motor once i knew it worked good and everything and actually build it the rite way, until than, im makin sure it works rite. the radiator worked perfect in the duramax, and when we had the 12 valve in the dodge truck, it cooled just fine too. i have 3 1500cfm fans blowing through the intercooler and than to the radiator. im thinking that could be my problem but im not for sure. i thought it was getting enough air but maybe not. the fans are 12 inch fans. i got excited again yesterday and took some more hot laps with it around the block and my lower radiator hose blew off. i think im getting way too much system pressure. i took my thermostat out just to see if it would help with any cooling and it didnt help a whole lot. does anyone think that the hot air from the IC system is effecting the air the fans move THAT much?

The waterpump could have pooped out. I would check it while the antifreeze is all out. Its only two bolts.

I think the 6.5 trucks have a bigger radiator (not D.I.) and they use the expansion tank one of those may fit your truck. Rich

Back