intercooler install

i tried to use the gm radiator with the dodge intercooler and you will have to trim the fins off the tank to clear the intercooler. i am thinking about using the aftermarket one i found on ebay and i hope its not built as cheap as it is on ebay. might see being its so cheap with free shipping.

right now i am using the dodge radiator to eliminate the overflow tank off the firewall to open up for twins someday so i still have the 3 in holes in the core support to use with the tubes to run to this aftermarket one.

change of plans i found a steal of a deal on an intercooler on ebay. gonna give this a shot and see how it goes. think even though the dimensions of the height and width are smaller than the dodge IC that it will make up for it being 3 inches thick. the dimensions of it is 31"w x 12"h x 3"d. rated up to 80 psi and only supposed to be a 0.10psi drop at 30 psi. i guess we will see the next day i get off to even touch the turd.

ThuMar04182608EST2010.jpg
[/IMG]

ThuMar04182547EST2010.jpg
[/IMG]

ThuMar04182531EST2010.jpg
[/IMG]

ThuMar04182523EST2010.jpg
[/IMG]

ThuMar04182557EST2010.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks good, keep us updated, you can always hang them things between the frame rails to aslong as you watch where your driving.

I am worried about rocks bouncing off the road and puncturing it or something

thanks now if i can just get time off long enough to try and get it installed and see how i can run some fans with it

Those fans you have now, what brand are they and can they be wired to be pushers or pullers?

Those fans you have now, what brand are they and can they be wired to be pushers or pullers?

here is the link Fan Kit and they can be wired as pushers or pullers. they come with a thermostat and controller. the ones i got push a total fo 7200 cfm (3600 cfm a piece) i have only used them once in town and on each dyno run other than that just driving down the road i have never used them.

yeah they arent bad either. not too much noise and still moves the air through the radiator now i must gotta figure out how to get fans in there with the intercooler not sure if i am gonna be able to clear my grill this time around

i bolted all drivetrain in the factory location so that i didnt have to modify drive shafts and now the balancer clears the radiator by a little less than an inch

:eek: What a tight fit.:hehe: I wondered how you had it drivable in 1 weekend . If things get too tight and you can stand the gmc grill with composite headlights.It could be used with an aftermarket billett grill . This would also raise the turn signals to a higher position.
It looks good . Rich

yeah i know we got worried when we went to install the core support and ended up having to trim the top and tilt the radiator towards the front to make sure it cleared. and had to trim the bottom so that i could remove the balancer and replace the front seal. if i can get away from these 84 hr weeks and get some time off to work on it i plan on moving it back about 3 inches and making new frame perches and use the dodge motor mounts. right now i a focusing on getting a the new AD200 and intercooler installed and see if that makes a difference in my rwhp. at least one worth the time and money to install it.

made a little progress this afternoon on the install and other things. removed the body lift off it and got the intercooler installed gonna take it to an exhaust shop and have them bend me some tubes to hook it up. just used a piece of 1 inch angle and bolted it to the core support and then drilled the holes to bolt the cooler to it. it all fit behind the hood latch support with the addition of shims behind the bottom bolt to allow clearance to keep from rubbing things. also on the bottom we drilled half way through some polymer blocks and gonna secure them to the bottom of the core support to supply stability on the bottom.

8ef5d589.jpg
[/IMG]

these are of the chunks i cut out of the core support for the original plan of the dodge intercooler.
59c1d00a.jpg
[/IMG]

f091e48a.jpg
[/IMG]

forgot to mention that i am still gonna be able to cram those 16" fans between all that and the grill with the addition of a complete shroud to cover up my hacks and redneck engineering. lol

well did some more work this evening painted up the cooler and radiator and brackets. mocked up some cardboard to simulate shrouds and wire tied the fans and worked the grill a little to get it to fit. might be a couple clearence issues but wont know til i get the shroud built solid.
fc8cda71.jpg
[/IMG]
c428865c.jpg
[/IMG]
11eb53e2.jpg
[/IMG]
48377ecb.jpg
[/IMG]
48a866bd.jpg
[/IMG]

Good memories I see. Had a solid black mono chromed Z71 That got totaled. Like to build another one.

yeah when i get a chance to paint it i think i am gonna go with a charcol gray or black/gray two tone. i just like to try and keep it somewhat of a sleeper and to keep the bling down. some things just look good with shiney stuff but i dont think mine would the way i wanna go with it.