Is it possible to be too cold?

Kman9090

On air to water ic is it possible to have it to cold? We have 2 air to water ic hooked up on my truck and this weekend I couldn't get the charger to light coming of the line. Just wondering if it is possible to have the intake temp to cold? Also when does everyone turn the pump on for theirs? Before you hook up right after? Heard some don't turn it on til a few ft off the line some even farther.

I've been turning mine on when they're hooking the sled to the truck. I also used header wrap on the charge air pipe from the intercooler to the intake manifold. So far this year it's worked great keeping an s480 lit on a fairly mild 2.6 engine.

Try waiting to turn the water pump for the intercooler on at about 2000rpm. Our trucks won't hardly run if you turn the pump on at idle.

I've been told if you turn it on too soon it will freeze up, blocking air flow.

Well I turned it on backing into the sled hooking up. Hooked up pulled made it 48ft and fell off the charger never got on top of it. Backed up to try again picked a different gear thought I was geared to high and same thing. Turned everything off got back to the pits and checked the cooler and almost all the ice was melted and never made it 50ft. The lines were so cold you could barely touch em.

Are you talking about the discharge hoses on the cooler? I don't know what the intake temp was.

Temp out of compressor housing and temp in intake horn.

Heat spools chargers. Your getting incomplete combustion. Don't turn your pump on until you start spooling up. Diesel fuel does not like to combust in a cold atmosphere. Once the cylinders are warm, then cold air works well with combustion.

I watched the White Lighting truck at ts and you could tell when he turned on the w2a and the turbo didnt want to spool. The second time spooling the turbo he turned it on later but b4 he let out of the clutch and was fine. Thats what Van was telling him. We were sitting by the track.

Ive seen this happen a lot lately. Would it make sense to put the A/W pump on a 20-25psi boost pressure switch?

A boost reference switch to a relay would be a good idea, but figuring out exactly what psi to switch it on would be key...or making it adjustable. Around here we pull in weather that can range from 40* evenings to 95-100* summer afternoons.

I think it would be easier to just turn the pumps on after you start spooling instead of when you leave the pits...........

On a 2.6-3.0 truck I would suggest a 20psi Hobbs switch with a master shutoff incase that isn't enough.
On our big truck the pumps are set to kick on at 60psi.

Get an intake air temp gauge and then youll know whats going on. Just driving around the pits and warming the truck up my IAT gets up to 95-100* and I turn my pumps on when pulling on to the track. And it usually gets down to 65-70 by the time I pull. Bring your rpms up slower and build some heat in the cylinders also.