Is it possible ......

RacinDuallie

Black Sheep Racing
I have a customer who wants to swap out his 6.7 computer ECM for 5.9 version, to take advantage of the already available aftermarket electronic upgrades.....

I was leery of suggesting this as a viable option, but am intrigued on an answer......

He wants to gain some big power outta his new rig and doent care bout warranties.....:shake: :evil :evil

I don't know if it will work without all the sensor controllers and the other garbage.

We're looking to pull that garbage out......:evil :evil

Basically the guy wants to pull all that restrictive mumbo jumbo off- and hot rod it like a typical 5.9......

We got the turbo and injector dept covered.....

He really wants to make a mean s.o.b. outta it.:rockwoot:

Dang great idea. I have a good buddy who is a Dodge diesel tech. Ill get him to pull some parts and see if the "Computers, FICM,ECM, EI-EI-O or whatever the terms are)" match of are even close. My bet is no but what do I know?

Thanks Digger! I'll hope you come back with some promising answers. Electronically we want it to forget its a 6.7 and 'think' it's a 5.9.......

Ecm's are different. Lots of different stuff. You would have to see if the Aisin tranny came in a 5.9 truck. I don't believe they do. If you strip all the emissions,EGR,etc.... you might be able to experiment with ECM's. Good Luck.$.02

Maybe a stand-alone ECM...like imports use; AEM is a company that comes to mind that has them for imports. Ive wondered why noone has them for the Dodges, it would allow for custom tuning to pretty much the absolute limits of the Cummins.

[QUOTE='strokeThis_'07]Maybe a stand-alone ECM...like imports use; AEM is a company that comes to mind that has them for imports. Ive wondered why noone has them for the Dodges, it would allow for custom tuning to pretty much the absolute limits of the Cummins.[/QUOTE]
They're out there for the CR, but no one wanted to pay $14k for it.

Just as I thought...my buddy(who shoots me straight) says it would be impossible to go to a 5.9 computer from a 6.7.....way way way too many differences. Plugs for one are different and the 6.7 has way higher and faster capacity in memory and number of function(s).

He told me all of that in official lingo but thats the gist of his answer.

I say if man makes it man can mod it........

It has been done allready on a 6sp(man.) truck. Used the injectors, harnesses, ECM (all 06MY) and some trickery with sensors to make it work.
And as Dirty Sanchez said there are aftermarket standalone fuel management systems out there, but no serious buyers.

Really? Wasnt aware of that. Who makes them? Wow, 14k, I can think of alot better uses for that much!

Because the cylinder walls would be too thin to support any serious pressure. The 6.7 block, crank, pistons, and rods are all different.
I'm not saying that converting the older electronic to a newer engine is the answer, but for not having to completely dissassemble and rebuild the engine to bore and stroke it, not to mention all the money in new parts, if you want the extra cubes, it's the most economical way top go thus far.

SuperSonic said:
Because the cylinder walls would be too thin to support any serious pressure. The 6.7 block, crank, pistons, and rods are all different.
I'm not saying that converting the older electronic to a newer engine is the answer, but for not having to completely dissassemble and rebuild the engine to bore and stroke it, not to mention all the money in new parts, if you want the extra cubes, it's the most economical way top go thus far.
What about the head?

[QUOTE='strokeThis_'07]Really? Wasnt aware of that. Who makes them? Wow, 14k, I can think of alot better uses for that much![/QUOTE]
14k is a rough guess at wiring harness+ECU+sensors. Like Chris said, it's out there- you just have to know who to wave a fist full of $$$ at.

well does the old 5.9 head fit the 6.7? Or is the block bigger dimensions overall? I've not really tinkered or been around the 6.7 much.

2001shrtbedcmns said:
well does the old 5.9 head fit the 6.7? Or is the block bigger dimensions overall? I've not really tinkered or been around the 6.7 much.
Buy 'em both and find out.