is it safe and dependable?

TMONEYDIESEL

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Im thinking about buying a 6.7 but ill admit it im a little scared this thing is gonna go crazy and im gonna be left with a lemon. Whats your take on it?

I have had good luck with mine. If you do it I would go ahead and get a DPF delete and EGR blocked with an Edge to clear the soft code at start up. I did this a few weeks ago and it is the best thing I could of ever done for mine. I went from 13 mpg average to 18 and that is mixed driving with and without a trailer.

what about emmissions though? Isnt that gonna mess things up when i need to get a inspection?

Keep everything. Has anyone tried just running the delete pipe through the DPF like some do for mufflers?

im not worried about the exhaust, i want to hear from people who own them and what thier take on them is!

I have not read up on it yet, but what Ford is going to do when it goes with its own diesel "Scorpion". Wonder what it will do as far as the trucks that already out.
What I mean warranty, price of parts, and availabilty? Just some of the things I have not seen in print yet.

My local dealer told me the only trouble is with the dpf on trucks that are not driven hard enough. They get one in with a stopped up dpf and hit the inter state for about 30 mins of driving with the exhaust brake on and it clears up. So keeping one blown out is the trick. Diesels need to be driven hard now and then to keep things cleaned out. They also told me the ones with the dpf removed haven't had any problems. You're not required to run the dpf arround here. Wait till the after market catches up with the 6.7 and rfe68. :ft:

I really like mine so far. I am getting around 16-17 with mostly highway driveing with the cortex on extreme. Once I get the dpf and egr out I think it will get close to 20, Hopefully.

I am am someone with an axe to grind with these trucks so I am coming in with a bad attitude. A 6.7 w/ a problem is the rule, not the exception. A truck that cannot be driven short distances, cannot idle for long periods of time, and has to be constantly driven hard on interstates for long periods of time sounds like a vehicle with issues.
My dealer told me the same thing "Gotta get er on the highway and run er". The highway is not local nor on my work route so why should I spend the extra fuel in doing so??? I run an 05 5.9 preforming the same tasks and get better results (mpg is almost 2X 6.7). I can "blow er out" on a back road without the highway and without the breakdowns, lost hours and money.
Call me a pessimist but I'm gonna say that should I run the vehicle hard and it breaks down their gonna blame it on me.
There is nothing mentioned about driving style in the ads or commercials???
I do however, remember spending almost 50K on the 6.7 just to be told that every time it broke down, it was my fault???
And guess what??? For 1K more I can get a dpf delete kit and totally void my warranty.

NO THANKS. KEEP THAT JUNK.

I suggest you check all the sites regarding this vehicle and you will find nothing but trouble. From buses to emergency vehicles everyone that has had a taste of the 6.7 has spit it back out. There are people out there who are trying to gather names for class action suits.

A 6.7 with problems is not the exception, IT'S THE RULE!!!

Just my .02

All 6.7s have problems? Bullchit. My truck has 30k on it and has never been to the dealer once for anything. Neverbeen reflashed either. And its an early 6.7 too. I very rarely drive on the highway and never had any of the problems that anybody else seems to have. Maybe I got the only good one, but I have talked to other people that havent had any problems either.

never had any of the problems that anybody else seems to have

Lucky? you are truly and enigma!

The fact that you mention "the problems anybody else seems to have" is in itself a Freudian slip. It shows that the 6.7 with problems is quite common and the person without the problems is quite uncommon.

Im thinking about buying a 6.7 but ill admit it im a little scared this thing is gonna go crazy and im gonna be left with a lemon. Whats your take on it?

Be afraid. Be very afraid. While some have had little or no problems with emissions related issues. I know of many that are not happy. Ask yourself this. "Am I confident enough in my local Dodge dealers service department?"

You may get to know them better than you want. Personally, I think the engine is awesome. I think the EPA blows.

what about emmissions though? Isnt that gonna mess things up when i need to get a inspection?

Looks to me like you were worried about the exhaust...

Like I said, if you get the delete keep all of the old piping and throw it on for inspection.

Looks to me like you were worried about the exhaust...

Like I said, if you get the delete keep all of the old piping and throw it on for inspection.

theres more to inspection than just the exhaust

obviously if you were to actually read the post you would see what i was worried about, im not talking about the little dpf delete thats easy crap, im talking about the no starting the electronic troubles, whats out for programmers is anyone having luck with bigger injectors turbos etc, what about the transmission. I need people with experience on this one ride42 but looks like ill just be buying a early 07.

I have had good luck with mine. If you do it I would go ahead and get a DPF delete and EGR blocked with an Edge to clear the soft code at start up. I did this a few weeks ago and it is the best thing I could of ever done for mine. I went from 13 mpg average to 18 and that is mixed driving with and without a trailer.
My neighbor did that to his this year and is loving it. He did the DPF delete and was having issues. After he added the Edge the issues were taken care of and he said the extra power is great.

27k miles and counting. Never been in the shop.
I love mine. I plow snow with it, tow heavily, road trip with it and make my 4 mile drive to work every morning in it. Shoot, my wife pulls in the stock class with it and takes at least 2nd or 3rd!

theres more to inspection than just the exhaust

obviously if you were to actually read the post you would see what i was worried about, im not talking about the little dpf delete thats easy crap, im talking about the no starting the electronic troubles, whats out for programmers is anyone having luck with bigger injectors turbos etc, what about the transmission. I need people with experience on this one ride42 but looks like ill just be buying a early 07.

http://video.competitiondiesel.com/search/6.7/0/e861f2c3-4b22-4225-b82b-9a120121ff52.htm

Somebody is having good luck. I'd think calling vendors would be a good way to go about finding out what all is available...just my $.02

If I had the money I would do what you are and try to find an early 07. I wouldn't want to spend the money on a 6.7l right now.

Results w 6.7L

I am am someone with an axe to grind with these trucks so I am coming in with a bad attitude. A 6.7 w/ a problem is the rule, not the exception. A truck that cannot be driven short distances, cannot idle for long periods of time, and has to be constantly driven hard on interstates for long periods of time sounds like a vehicle with issues.
My dealer told me the same thing "Gotta get er on the highway and run er". The highway is not local nor on my work route so why should I spend the extra fuel in doing so??? I run an 05 5.9 preforming the same tasks and get better results (mpg is almost 2X 6.7). I can "blow er out" on a back road without the highway and without the breakdowns, lost hours and money.
Call me a pessimist but I'm gonna say that should I run the vehicle hard and it breaks down their gonna blame it on me.
There is nothing mentioned about driving style in the ads or commercials???
I do however, remember spending almost 50K on the 6.7 just to be told that every time it broke down, it was my fault???
And guess what??? For 1K more I can get a dpf delete kit and totally void my warranty.

NO THANKS. KEEP THAT JUNK.

I suggest you check all the sites regarding this vehicle and you will find nothing but trouble. From buses to emergency vehicles everyone that has had a taste of the 6.7 has spit it back out. There are people out there who are trying to gather names for class action suits.

A 6.7 with problems is not the exception, IT'S THE RULE!!!

Just my .02

I have had no trouble with my 6.7 w/6800 miles. I would like to get more mpg however.

I wish I would have bought a 6.7 instead of my duramax. My buddy is a mechanic at the local dodge dealership, and he says that at first they had some initial problems with programing for the dpf, but after the flash they have been rock solid. They arent the greatest on fuel out of the box, but then again none of them are anymore. My LBZ has only gotten bearable since I put in about 1500 dollars worth of help.

Kevin

most problems with the 6.7 are in the past and it was emmision related problems, I beat the heck out of my truck and no problems what so ever, there will be lemons though, thus all the lemon laws some might have bad luck but thats just some