Is my math off? Nitrous jetting

stock600

Just some off season babble, but I was thinking of multiple jetting and how the area math applys. In past I mostly ran 2 stages with ~ a .055" jet in each, I know that those 2 dont flow the .110" that they add up to with simple math. Is this correct though? .055x .055= 3025 then 3025x2=6050 then the square root of that? =.078"??? So 2 .055" jets only flows as a single .78"? For a more even spray pattern I have 6 jet placements now; loaded are the smallest .018" available to start with. If my earlier math is correct..... is it so that all 6 flowing .018" is only a total of .044" just doesnt sound correct. Again assuming my math is correct Id end up running around a .032" per nozzle to end up flowing the .078" that I used to reg. run........ I would damn sure think that 6 .032" jets would flow more than that.... someone please correct me where Im wrong on my math. Ryan

You need to find the area of each nozzle. Pi x radius x radius.

Could you give an example with a single .018" jet, then the total flow of 6 of them? Thanks

.018"/2=.009"
.009*.009*3.1415= .000254" therefore a .018" diameter nozzle has a cross-sectional area of .000254"
.000254"*6= .001524
.0012524/3.1415=.000485
(.000485^(1/2))*2= .0440" therefore 6 .018" nozzles is equal to about one .044" diameter nozzle
The pis and the 2s would cancel so yeah your math is right.

Two .055" nozzles would be equal in area .07779" and six .032"= one .078" the r squared makes the cross sectional area increase significantly as the area increases.

Last edited:
Looks like we kind of went at it in two diff. ways but came up with the same numbers, thanks Derek. Im a long ways yet from feeling like I need to spray this thing but was setting around thinking of the math and it was not looking right to me but.. Thanks again.
Ryan

I don't think flow is directly proportional to cross sectional area. Although many people use it to approximate different orifice sizes, it's not a direct relation.

I don't think flow is directly proportional to cross sectional area. Although many people use it to approximate different orifice sizes, it's not a direct relation.

I would think that if we assume the pressure is the same, the cross sectional area is the only other variable to determine flow??

Chris

One large circle will have less frictional area than two smaller. Now is it a significant difference, I have no idea? LOL

Why run 6 seperate jets- when it will be the same as one larger one?

seems like more things that could go wrong with multiple lines/solinoides

Why run 6 seperate jets- when it will be the same as one larger one?

seems like more things that could go wrong with multiple lines/solinoides

Still just on 1 solinoid. I had a stainless adapter made that went from the outlet of 1/8 pipe to soft plume lines to the nozzles, the reason is for a even distribution to all cyilinders.

The correct math is .055 + .055 = a wuss shot of N2O LOL

Just messin with ya Ryan.

The correct math is .055 + .055 = a wuss shot of N2O LOL

Just messin with ya Ryan.

I agree. Id rather have never ran any but I justify the small amount I use to only running a single charger. Not using it in excess has kept me from ever hurting parts during nitrous use along with the aid of cooling and I get 9-12 passes on a single 10# bottle, rather than the 1 pass from a 15# that many get with thier big sol's and no jets. I like to make the majority of my power on fuel only and trickle some nitrous for cooling and a bit more power, the largest jet Ive even loaded has been a .073. My normal nitrous tune up was a .032 and a .055 in the truck, it would pull me from 6.7's to 6 teens.
Ryan

Must have a lot of fuel. The more overfueled your truck is, (or altered) the more a small amount of bottle will help.

Your correct, the more over fueled you are the more diff. a small shot helps. I plan to not use it much any more but its there when needed. I will do more heads up racing local this year than anything else prob. and running a heads up class Top Gun 5.80 class, I wont need any to run this class but nitrous is still allowed just no elect.'s. I'll make the diesel events that I can afford to drive to though, well see how the year go's.

Still just on 1 solinoid. I had a stainless adapter made that went from the outlet of 1/8 pipe to soft plume lines to the nozzles, the reason is for a even distribution to all cyilinders.

I understand now- i was thinking pre/ post turbo + intake horn

Would you be willing to post a picture of this gadget ? I would like to see it ?

Here is us flowing my manifold at NX , it has two systems . The jetting is 20 and 25 for a small total nitrous flow

With individual Egt’s we tune the nitrous to each cylinder

hoguesintake1_lowres2.jpg

NXRailEng.jpg

Back