K31

Rods said:
Glad u got something worked out chris , get more done when all u have is a turbo shop ,

Yeah...I've been trying to get a hold of your guy for about a month now. I've only ever talked to him once, and he never called me back after that!

Maybe next time...when I'm ready for the big charger!

I have bigger problems right now...my latest BOMB isn't cutting it!
Chris

supersmoke said:
I called the guys over at FI again. Here is what they said.

A K31 has a 312 shaft, also a standard big shaft T70 has a 312 shaft as well. A S300 which they told me is what the "phat shaft" stuff comes from is a 315 shaft and a GT42 is a 325 shaft. So the GT42 is the biggest shaft out of the units mentioned. Now their ST-series units all come with 394 shafts and 475 and 500 shafts. Supposedly about impossible to break unless you do something really stupid. They must not know what us diesel guys can do....:hehe:

This is very good information. But did you do a number swap? You stated the S300 has a 315 shaft and the K31 has a 312 which would be smaller? Wouldn't it be the other way around??? Can you please get back to me on this one....

trik396 said:
This is very good information. But did you do a number swap? You stated the S300 has a 315 shaft and the K31 has a 312 which would be smaller? Wouldn't it be the other way around??? Can you please get back to me on this one....

Kinda what I was thinking...

wap, have you made up your mind about changes to your setup? I know you were talking about mixing up some thing...

I spoke to Nathan, and he said the turbo I ordered wasn't exactly the best for my application.. He called them himself and told them how to build it.. Thanks Nathan.. It's also now a little bigger.. haha.. I just hope I can spool it..

trik396 said:
wap, have you made up your mind about changes to your setup? I know you were talking about mixing up some thing...

Yeah, I think I have made up my mind.

I am gonna do a smarty and studs now, and I am not gonna bottom tap. When more $ is available I am gonna pull the head off the motor, bottom tap the block, install some F1 springs, flux 3s and one of Johns stage 2 cp3s (maybe a stage 3 pump, not sure yet).

It is not ideal, but for the sticks, springs and cp3 thats another 3k so I am just gonna wait on that. I could do the pump now, but the truck will down for a week for the pump and sticks, so I will just do em both at the same time.

I would also like to do a manifold, but I will have to buy one when I do twins (after above mods are done) so I dont want to spend that money twice.

So now I am deciding on if I should get a fluidamper, a set of ladder bars, or maybe even a DVD player OR just save the $ for the big fuel.

Hows all that sound to you?

But right now I am about to go pull my turbo, fix the oil leak, change oil, and change my serpintine belt(sp?).

BTW, did you figure out your turbo issue?

Last edited:
I think it was all in my head. I posted pics on DTR and TDR and was told all looked good. I think I'm hearing the fluttering of the air and the wooshing of the turbo at shutdown. Power is good, boost is good, egt's are the same, oil is fine. I pulled a sample of my oil and sent it out to Blackstone to see if any bearing material has made it's way where it shouldn't be... Other than that, I'm just a paranoid fool...:doh:

I like the idea of the ladder bars and fluidamper... It just never ends...
Keep us informed when you start your changes. I'm planning on doing the studs as soon as my extra ARP lube comes from Jetpilot, hopefully middle of the week. I'll snap pics as I go along.

Last edited:
Good deal, If it isnt too much trouble could you make me a detailed list of what tools you use?

I am gona order my studs Monday IF I know I will have time to put them in next weekend. The weekend after that I am goin to FL so I can do it then and will just wait till I get back to order them.

I'll make a list of everything I use and take pics while I'm doing the install.

Thanks, It looks like it is still gonna be a couple of weeks for me. I wont be able to do it this weekend and will be out of town the next BUT I am ordering a smarty today.

trik396 said:

Nope, I called again this morning and spoke with them. The S300 does have the larger shaft indeed. :Cheer:

trik396 said:

Whats it really matter? Neither turbo is having shaft breakage issue to speak of. What matters is what survives for a decent amount of time under harsh conditions...
GT42's seem to be a nice upgrade for those wanting a little more. Heck I might just stick one on for next year.