Larry's little secrets

panhandlerednek

Is there anything like Larry's secrets here like at TDS? (oops if I shouldn't have used that name please say so)

I am buying my first Dodge and the archived Larrys little secrets over there sure did help me keep from bugging those guys with all the stupid noob questions.

I do not post much and just read so it would be nice to find the given and accepted answers to my questions. Search does work but so much of the new stuff is noob's asking and other noob's answering.

Thanks for any responses.

you can mention other sites here, this isn't a nazi regime like most other sites... you can ask newb questions, but you either won't get an answer or someone will give you a hard time :p

why on earth would you intentionally purchase a VP44 truck? :eek:

Or you can always do searches for what you want, that can often be helpful too. Don't let the boys scare you. And oh, maybe don't say that other name again LOL

you can mention other sites here, this isn't a nazi regime like most other sites... you can ask newb questions, but you either won't get an answer or someone will give you a hard time :p

why on earth would you intentionally purchase a VP44 truck? :eek:

Case 1: VP44????? Where do I learn about this? Besides search because untlill now I know nothing.

Just go to the search bar and type in VP44 and start reading. Lots of info out there on it.

wow, the guys playin nice and ang givin a rough time? it must be armageddon!

the only dumb question is the one not asked, ok and if u ask about a smoke switch they'll run u outta town fast! but thats about it

VP-44 Trucks. 98.5 - 02 2500 and 3500s.

You have a couple of things to look for and consider.

First and foremost, you need to check the condition of the lift pump. There are 2 pumps on these trucks, the lift pump (which supplies fuel up to the engine) and the injector pump (which actually injects fuel into the engine). These fail "generally" one after another. The lift pump will fail, which provides less fuel to the injector pump. The truck will still run, but will eventually have such a difficult time pulling fuel that it will kill the injector pump.. A new injector pump is going to cost you in the neighborhood of $1100-1500, so it isn't a part to be taken lightly. The best way to check the lift pump is to check the fuel pressure at the injector pump. There is a small shreider (sp?) valve that is the easiest poin to check out. You want around 12-15psi min. at idle, and no less then 8-10 at full throttle.. according to cummins. Obviously, the less the fuel pressure drops during a wide open throttle run, the better.

Another thing you want to check is if the truck has a "53 block" or not. This is something you will want to research.. The short and skinny is that there are several trucks that had a different engine casting then what Cummins requested.. Which can, potentially, cause the block to crack. You can check for a "53 block" on the side of the engine.. Research it here and through google, and you will have more to read on the subject then you probably care to know.

There are a few transmission issue to look out for. The automatics almost always require SOME modification, and there are a few years of the 6-speed that have smaller input shafts. Also, if your goal is flat out HP, you might want to read on the differences between an SO engine (standard output) and a high output engine (HO engine).

Other issues to look out for? The newest truck is going to be around 7-9 years old... So, expect to check things like tie rod ends, brakes, clutch, etc. etc.

These trucks are the "black sheep" of the dodge world. If you can get a good price, they are generally worth it.. Otherwise, look for a nice low miles 94-98 (12 valve) or the new common rail diesels (03+). For advice on what to look for on those rigs, check the appropriate year forums on this site.

Hope that helps!

c'mon forrest the vp's are really good pumps till there not. Isn't much gray area with them.

Thanks yall. Yes the price couldn't be passed on. It's not going to be a built high hp truck. It's just your everyday puller to replace my overworked 97 f250. Pulling I usually gross around 22k so I needed a little more truck.

This one is a 02 dually with a six speed in it. It fits more in line with what I needed.

Thanks again for the places to start.

02 Dually with a 6 speed is a HO (high output) 245 rated horsepower
That means the motor has slightly more compression, 17:1
Slightly better turbo, HX35
Larger Clutch 13"
Slightly smaller injectors
10,000 GVWR meaning no emissions testing in Nevada if you ever move here.

Guys get all worked up about VP44 failure rates. I'll bet the average lifespan nowadays is somewhere between 100K and 150K miles. I'll bet the average 03' and newer common rail loses a set of injectors every 100-150K miles so whats the big deal?

Guys get all worked up about VP44 failure rates. I'll bet the average lifespan nowadays is somewhere between 100K and 150K miles. I'll bet the average 03' and newer common rail loses a set of injectors every 100-150K miles so whats the big deal?
yea my vp just went at 156k and has has been beat to hell. not a big deal. thats a pretty good life span id say

So if you catch the lift pump before it totally goes then the injector pump can be saved?

Should the fuel psi be a gauge on the dash?

Speaking of gauges--What are the norms? egt, boost??

What most people run are boost,pryo and fuel pressure. the fuel pressure gauge is the most important one in a vp powered truck.

Guys get all worked up about VP44 failure rates. I'll bet the average lifespan nowadays is somewhere between 100K and 150K miles. I'll bet the average 03' and newer common rail loses a set of injectors every 100-150K miles so whats the big deal?[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% :clap:
and usually an injector failure on a cr can cost way more than a new vp.

So...if it's has 134000 miles on it---get gauges on it. Fuel, egt, and boost. Watch the fuel cause the lift pump is getting close to it's end.

So...which vendors have the best prices on gauges and/or service? Who to do business with?

Thanks again from the noob with noob questions

Last edited:
go to the price request forum and see what the dealers can put together for you. I got all of my gauge from vulcan performance great outift and great service.

Congrats on the new to you truck. Gages are a must for you so you can monitor for any problems. I have the Edge Juice w/ Attitude and like it because I can set it up to monitor 4 different peramiters at the same time and set alarms for different limits. Shortly after installing it I lost my lift pump while towing a 14,000lb fifth wheel. Because I had the gage and alarm on there it alerted me right away and I was able to pull off at the next exit. If I didn't have the gage on there I would have never have known because it was still running fine and I would have burned up the IP quickly. It paid for itself that day. The added power is also nice. I only use level 1 and 2 as I am a sissy and don't want to damage anything else but that gives me the added power I needed. Course it helps I have a tranny that works now:)

So that sets up the noob question of all noob questions.

What tunes for a daily driving tow rig?

Now I am just being lazy. Off to the search button.

Thanks.