Leaking oil out of number one exhaust port

dustin_west06

line breaker
well after running the truck for 4000 miles with no problems I noticed an oil trail running down the side of the block, it is coming from cylinder #1. I had this same problem(cylinder#3) last year and I.I. fixed it. I never really got an answer on what they did to get it to stop leaking but they fixed it. Valve seat? any input? I really dont want to pull the head off but if need be then i will.

Sounds like a leaky valve seal...most likely caused by a worn valve guide.

broken ring would give you alot of blowby! It may be turbo related pull off the intake hose and look inside. If that is clean How does the exhuast side look?
Which truck is it?

It's my 05. The exhaust is clean just soot no oil. Intake is clean. No blow by whatsoever. Pulled manifold ran truck without it all ports oily free expect for number one.

Thanks

Sounds like a leaky valve seal...most likely caused by a worn valve guide.

I still learning about the top end so if it's a valve seal then I won't have to pull the head right? Or is it good to pull the head and have everything checked?

you should pull the head and have the bigger seats machined and pressed in. the factory ones are tiny and known to drop out. when that happens the piston can hit the valve and do all sorts of bad stuff. most likely your guids are worn out and took out the seal.

Right! You can replace the valve seals without removing the head, just make sure the cylinder you are working on is at TDC before you remove the valve springs. If a valve guide is worn it will need repaired with a bronze insert, to do this the head will need removed.
I still learning about the top end so if it's a valve seal then I won't have to pull the head right? Or is it good to pull the head and have everything checked?

Valve seats do not cause oil leaks.
you should pull the head and have the bigger seats machined and pressed in. the factory ones are tiny and known to drop out. when that happens the piston can hit the valve and do all sorts of bad stuff. most likely your guids are worn out and took out the seal.

broken ring would give you alot of blowby! It may be turbo related pull off the intake hose and look inside. If that is clean How does the exhuast side look?
Which truck is it?

He means the steel ring on the end of the valve seal.

Maybe I.I didnt check the valve stems for wear. Are they new valves or valves they pull from the cores?

They are bigger seats. It's a head from I I and a damn pricey one.

Oil? From the exhaust port?

Are you sure that its actually oil coming outta the exhaust port??? It could be fuel that looks like dirty, black oil? It wont smell like diesel anymore and it will be thin like... well fuel. If it is, it could be an injector thats stuck open or possibly a problem with your ecm . But make its oil and not fuel before you go pulling the head.

I was waiting to read the other posts but the last one is exactly what I had in mind. Oil doesn't usually make it out of the exhaust unless there is a large mechanical failure. Normally oil will coke and not seep out through an exhaust gasket.

My money is on the head gasket somehow leaking oil in the vicinity of #1 cylinder.

:pop::pop::pop: