Lets talk tranys!

JamieWood

Blowin' Smoke
Alright guys lets talk tranys, the POWER x-fer ones not the chicks that we thank are chicks!!!:poke: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Lets hear all the upgrades and the differance between them 47RH,47RE and so on.

Also, is it better to use a different trany. say- 98' with a 94'

Thanks,
JW

If we're talking transmissions, I've got one word to say, and that one word is : SUNCOAST!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Agreed. Anyone want to attempt to answer this question?

I have heard, but don't know, that you can't put a newer tranny in an older truck cause of the computer controls, I'm sure that there is probably some way around this, but not sure if it would be worth it. Then again, I'm not sure what the performance parts availibility for the older transmissions is either.

ob1kobi said:
wow, this got off topic pretty quick, first reply.
:doh: My appologies.....

Yes I agree with the older trans issues in a newer truck, but that's not saying it couldn't be done. But why?

I don't think anyone would want to put an older trans in a newer truck, but a newer trans in an older truck could be nice, just cause of performance parts availibilities, but I don't know if you could get around the computer related issues. Would just putting a manual valve body in it take care of everything?

I can see putting a 48 in an older truck, they are suppose to be pretty strong out of the box. I don't see putting an older problematic trans in a newer truck though.

Your truck is a 94 with a RH trans. The 96 and up are RE trans. The RH trans has a mechanical govenor while the RE has an electronic one. So you know, you can do most of the upgrades you want to the 47 that the 48 has. As for as the differences between the 47 and the 48. The 48 has 6 pinion forward and rear planets, thicker sunshell and a redisigned VB. There are other differences but you should be able to serch for them on the tdr and dtr. You can still set up your trans for power.....what are you looking to push as far as power?

Richard

I dunno bout all that RE vs RH, jibba jabba. Someone needs to educate me on that tranny stuff. I have found someone who I trust with my trans work and am more than willing to invest in his expertise.

For performance applications my choice... Dusty Hawk of HTS for the tranny, Suncoast for the converter. He did not stop till my trans was exactly the way I wanted it. :woohoo:

Edit: Richard Beat me to the post button and answered before I asked. I'll scan my palm for you brotha'. LOL

Last edited:
DTT will use your 47 and up date it with a 48 valve body, IMO awesome set-up!!!

i run the 47 from DTT and i am almost 600 hp and it runs like it did from the day it went in!!

Scott

One of the problems with a 47RH is billet shafts are hard to come by. The 48 also has a different torque converter. The 48 will work in a 47, but a 47 won't work in a 48. As said before the 48 has stronger planetaries. The 48 valve body has some changes in how it shifts, and increases pressure when in OD. I know there are some other things, but that's all I can remember right now.

Paul

paulb said:
One of the problems with a 47RH is billet shafts are hard to come by. The 48 also has a different torque converter. The 48 will work in a 47, but a 47 won't work in a 48. As said before the 48 has stronger planetaries. The 48 valve body has some changes in how it shifts, and increases pressure when in OD. I know there are some other things, but that's all I can remember right now.

Paul

Yeah tell me about it. I cant find anyone that sells a output shaft. Input and intermidiate are the same as the RE , output is different:(

raychem said:
Your truck is a 94 with a RH trans. The 96 and up are RE trans. The RH trans has a mechanical govenor while the RE has an electronic one. So you know, you can do most of the upgrades you want to the 47 that the 48 has. As for as the differences between the 47 and the 48. The 48 has 6 pinion forward and rear planets, thicker sunshell and a redisigned VB. There are other differences but you should be able to serch for them on the tdr and dtr. You can still set up your trans for power.....what are you looking to push as far as power?

Richard

Sorry I didn't mention that my truck has a 5 speed in it right now, but is in the process of being yanked out and scraped to make room for the auto.:ylsuper:

I guess my original question should have been, what would be a good race trany to put back in it?

I know that Suncoast, BD, ATS all have tranys for my year model but would I benifit form a different model?

Lastly, keep in mind that this is strictly a race truck (Drag). Would it be beneficial to use a gasser trany say.... Powerglide , TH400, TH350, Allison?
These all have been able to support a lot of pony's, but would the torque kill it?

Amish Elegance said:
I dunno bout all that RE vs RH, jibba jabba. Someone needs to educate me on that tranny stuff. I have found someone who I trust with my trans work and am more than willing to invest in his expertise.

For performance applications my choice... Dusty Hawk of HTS for the tranny, Suncoast for the converter. He did not stop till my trans was exactly the way I wanted it. :woohoo:

Edit: Richard Beat me to the post button and answered before I asked. I'll scan my palm for you brotha'. LOL

I was a little quicker on the trigger Amish...oh and by the way, I LOVE you laptop page..ROFLMAO.

Pony's..operative word, Horsepower in a diesel does not kill transmissions, massive amounts of torque is the #1 tranny killer in diesel drag trucks.

As for an adapted gasser tranny I would have to say :badidea: they are not going to take the thrust load of launching a 6000lb truck instead of a 3000lb car and will not last. As for the Allison, right now that tranny is still somewhat of a weak link in the Dmax trucks due to lack of billet shafts being available (This is what I have been told, so don't take it to the bank on the Allison's) so that leaves either a Torqueshift or a Dodge tranny. There has been LOADS of R&D work done on the race trannies for these trucks. My advice, (which is free, so take it for what it's worth LOL ) look at the trans companies out there, find out whose tranny you can get supported close by and talk to that company about what you want to do and their reccomendations.

jambbii said:
Yeah tell me about it. I cant find anyone that sells a output shaft. Input and intermidiate are the same as the RE , output is different:(

The reason for this being is that the govenor is in the od unit and is part of the output shaft(the govenor assamble rides and is keyed to the output shaft) hence why there is really nothing out there as far as output shafts. I know Opie made or did a run or was going to but I am not sure.

Richard

I know I am very happy with my transmission... Wassamatta U. transmission.

When it comes to doing manual to auto conversions it seems like several have had a tough time and end up using a manual valvebody. Most shops probably won't even take on doing a conversion.
If I were going to do that conversion I would look into using the Allison. As far not having billet shafts IMO they wouldn't be required if it is a 2 wheel drive. And if it is a 4X4, contrary to popular belief there are aftermarket billet shafts. It isn't the cheapest route but if done correctly should give you the quickest truck.
I know Opie never made any RH output shafts. It would be easy enough to do but the market just isn't there to justify initail run costs or something like that.