Limited Slip Diff.

lee01dg

Well I did a search and got some info. but haven't really answered my question. The truck in my sig. has a limited slip 3.55 rear end and when I corner sharply and slowly it grabs hard like it's a posi. The old man and I jacked it up and we can not spin only one side at a time, both sides will turn, the only way we can get it to work right is if we scotch the hell out of one side and let the truck run in gear. I pulled the cover and nothing seems out of place, no material stuck to the plug, nothing. The spiders seem to have a little wear but I would say that is normal with nearly 180k. I refilled it with some of that Lucas magic juice stuff made for limited slip thinking that the clutches may be stuck or too tight and tested it some in the shop with no good results. Does it sound like the clutches and spiders need freshening up or what? Or do I not understand how these rear ends work. Also when driving above 60mph the truck has a little shake and then it'll go away and then repeat with about a second interval's, could the rear end be causing this as well. Sorry for the long post, Thanks, Lee

I'd try adding some of the limited slip additive they sell at the dealer. Who really knows how well the Lucas magic juice works as a limited slip additive?

What's funny is most guys complain that the limited slip is too loose, usually old men complain that the rear chatters and Dodge's fix for that was to add a little more friction modifier additive.

Well the Lucas isn't really called magic juice, it's just my sarcastic way of putting it. I just don't have any faith in "magic" stuff that comes in a bottle. The Lucas is actually made for limited slip rear ends. I may go ahead and put in some of the friction modifier and see, hell who knows if it don't work I can reuse when I replace the parts. My only complaints is the grabbing, it feels like you just ran over a 2x4. But the shake at highway speeds really pisses me off, everything in the drive line is sound. My last place to look at is the rearend. Thanks, Lee

GM makes some of the best friction modifier out there, 2 bottles for large late model axles. Not sure if a D70U qualifies. Dana actually would detune the posi's by stacking the plates friction, steel, friction, friction, steel, steel. Mine wasn't when I rebuilt it btw. If your not familiar with it think of a motorcycle clutch, with convex steels that apply more surface area as they are flattened out, they are pressed together when you corner.

That truck is pretty modded from whats in your sig, are you sure nobody welded the spiders to the carrier or installed a drop-in spool? Has it always acted like this or just recently started doing it? That new friction modifier takes a while to work into the clutches, you have to drive in a figure-eight for a bit to get it in there where its needed.

are the rear tires the same size ?i know it may sound stupid but it hapen to me i had a flat tire and replaced with a smaller tire and i had very bad vibration

Tires all the same size, and the truck was bone stock when I bought it.