Line lock question

Guys,

Hurst said I have a defective unit--------:doh:

Called Summit Racing for a replacement. I hope to get it Wednesday.

WAYNES WORLD

Guys,

I give up on finding a reliable Line Lock.*bdh*

The Summit Racing version turned out to be the exact same issue. It will lock up the brakes BUT it STILL won't release the brakes. WTF-----------

I'm returning the Summit Line Lock.
Does anybody have an answer ?????

WAYNES WORLD

Line locks are just a solenoid, they all work the same. It's something else, most likely where it is plumbed in the system and/or the ABS system. I wouldn't look at the line lock, I'd look at the brake system for the answer. I don't have experience with your rig and a line lock to give pointers. All I know it's not the brand of line lock that is giving you issues, it the application.

Line locks are just a solenoid, they all work the same. It's something else, most likely where it is plumbed in the system and/or the ABS system. I wouldn't look at the line lock, I'd look at the brake system for the answer. I don't have experience with your rig and a line lock to give pointers. All I know it's not the brand of line lock that is giving you issues, it the application.

IdahoRob,

I agree that it's just a solenoid. BUT, see photos, I eliminated ABS & apportion valve. I ran the line directly off the master cylinder to the Line Lock. I ran the exit port to the split for the front brakes. That is exactly how the diagram & the Hurst tech guy said. It's not electric because I cut the wire & it still wouldn't let the fluid go back. I ran bypass around the solenoid & the brakes worked just fine.
Now you can see why I'm puzzled--------

WAYNES WORLD

Attachments

• IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
How old are the calipers and any rubber lines?

Maybe as the next thing you could do to verify would be activate the line lock, pump the brakes up then release the power to the solenoid and then loosen the line going into the solenoid from the master cylinder and see if they release then. The only thing I can think of after that is its getting damaged and hanging up from to much pressure. Are you cranking down on the brakes hard? And you said you tried just cutting the wires loose and it still didnt release. Also is there any chance its plumbed backwards, try it the other direction maybe to be sure. Weird

Why not use it on the other end for the opposite application?

Instead of holding pressure on the front brakes, wire and plumb it to prevent pressure on the rear brakes.

Maybe as the next thing you could do to verify would be activate the line lock, pump the brakes up then release the power to the solenoid and then loosen the line going into the solenoid from the master cylinder and see if they release then. The only thing I can think of after that is its getting damaged and hanging up from to much pressure. Are you cranking down on the brakes hard? And you said you tried just cutting the wires loose and it still didnt release. Also is there any chance its plumbed backwards, try it the other direction maybe to be sure. Weird

Jasonc,

I see what you are saying on the release of the line. Yes, it does work when I do that. My bride pushes the brakes down, hits the button & then releases the button. All this with the motor off thus not activating the hydroboost pressure. Thus the pressure isn't too great. You can't install the unit backwards because it won't function. Definitely Weird big time. check photos-------

Notch,

Interesting idea-------but the idea is to hold the front brakes.

I'm thinking of just leaving off the apportion valve & ABS. Then just loosen the rear brakes to allow easier turning of the rear wheels.

WAYNES WORLD

Have you tried disconnecting the brake lines on the line lock and then blow thru with compressed air? You have eliminated everything else. There has to be a restriction with the line lock somehow.

Well, no. The idea is to not have the rear brakes. Most people could cut the back out and two pedal the fronts. It's only manual guys who need the brakes held. The nice thing of two pedal warm up is you can help correct and move as needed. Let it roll out a bit to get strait again then frreze it to finish burnout.

line lock question

Have you tried disconnecting the brake lines on the line lock and then blow thru with compressed air? You have eliminated everything else. There has to be a restriction with the line lock somehow.

dave,

i put a bypass in line to eliminate the solenoid & the brakes work like they are supposed to. I did the air blowing backwards thru the system---------the result is the same. It barely allows the air ti go thru. Your conclusion is the same as mine------all f--ked up.
This is my 3rd. unit. I went with B&M, Hurst & finally Summit Racing. All with the same result. I'm missing something------- Then again maybe they just aren't for me.

WAYNES WORLD

line lock question

Davem,

I checked the operation with air. It doesn't work till you up the air pressure.
You're right about the line lock is the issue. I called Summit today. They have no explanation as to why. I'm just returning the unit.

Nortch,

I like your idea a lot but I drive it on the street as well. I need the rear brakes for around town. But maybe on race day--------

WAYNES WORLD

Well that's the thing. The line lock when engaged prevents back brakes working. When disengaged its just a pass through like normal.

Well that's the thing. The line lock when engaged prevents back brakes working. When disengaged its just a pass through like normal.

Notch,

The line lock not engaged the brakes work just fine.
After engaging the line lock, it won't allow the brakes to release when you let go of the button------DAMN
B&M, Hurst & Summit Racing line locks = the same result--------UGH
I think you were referring to a suggestion posted to use the lines from the master cylinder to go separately to the front brakes. Leaving the back brakes without braking. In theory it will work. But I drive my Lil Pete on the street, so that isn't an option for me. I would only do that with a chute.
We still need to find a solution---------

WAYNES WORLD

Guys,

I give up on finding a reliable Line Lock.*bdh*

The Summit Racing version turned out to be the exact same issue. It will lock up the brakes BUT it STILL won't release the brakes. WTF-----------

I'm returning the Summit Line Lock.
Does anybody have an answer ?????

WAYNES WORLD

We bought one of those summit racing versions and it never did work correctly.

So, you don't have any ghost signals fooling the solenoid do ya?? Super good ground I'm sure??

Probably something down in the actual valve side. Blown O-ring, etc... I'd pay out and buy a really good unit. I had a hurst that I'd pass down from project to project when I was younger and I never had a single issue with it.

SOLUTION-----SOLUTION------

We have arrived at a solution---------

Jim "Lucky Dog" is responsible for a creative idea on the solution.
Here it is------- mount the line lock backward-----you read that right-------
mount it in the rear brake line. BUT, the inlet is now the outlet. It will allow the fluid to flow without restriction. Then when you want to do that burnout, hit the button. That will not let the fluid flow. Then hit the brake & mash your throttle. JOY, love the burnout. Let go of the button after you get your burnout roaring. Now you have all the brakes you need at the big end.

Many thanks Jimmy--------:clap:

WAYNES WORLD

SOLUTION-----SOLUTION------

We have arrived at a solution---------

Jim "Lucky Dog" is responsible for a creative idea on the solution.
Here it is------- mount the line lock backward-----you read that right-------
mount it in the rear brake line. BUT, the inlet is now the outlet. It will allow the fluid to flow without restriction. Then when you want to do that burnout, hit the button. That will not let the fluid flow. Then hit the brake & mash your throttle. JOY, love the burnout. Let go of the button after you get your burnout roaring. Now you have all the brakes you need at the big end.

Many thanks Jimmy--------:clap:

WAYNES WORLD
Didn't Nootch say this like 5 posts ago?

Don't hold fluid under pressure. Prevent it from moving under pressure. Same same, only different.

But it is all good. I am just glad you have it working now.

Line lock questione

Don't hold fluid under pressure. Prevent it from moving under pressure. Same same, only different.

But it is all good. I am just glad you have it working now.

Notch,

I tried it this way & found it works great. Like you say same but different.
You planted the seed ----------- now we have a success story ! :bow:
Thanks for all your help---------:clap:

WAYNES WORLD

I think it was Nootch that came up with the idea. Good one at that. Somehow you couldn't get your head around his idea. I just goated you into trying it.:Cheer:

Last edited: