LIPD...quality control...customer service...you be the judge!

barry1me

Well I finally decided to get a turbo and I decided to get a Stage 2 VGT turbo from LIPD. I ordered it from them on a Friday, couldnt get it shipped out that day cuz it was late in the day. They told me I would have it on wednesday....great! I call monday to get a tracking number, I sent a PM...no answer, I call Tuesday and try and get a tracking number, I sent another PM....still no answer. I finally get a PM on Thursday and got the tracking number, I wouldnt recieve it till Friday. Still not a big deal, I was rather anxious and was told I would get it on wednesday but not a big deal. Well friday comes and I get the turbo. Rob comes over on a friday night(11PM we start the install) what a guy! Were both inspecting the new turbo, and we both notice some very odd things. 1) the clamp that goes around the housing is missing the nut, so the clamp is just sitting there loose! Me not knowing any better, I assume its normal. At this point we are both a bit concerned due to how is the shaft balanced when the turbo is not even together. Then shocker #2...every single nut and bolt on the intake side is loose...I mean I could tighten them with my fingers. At this point we are both scratching our heads! So we tightened the bolts down, took the nut for the clamp off from my OE turbo and started installation of the LIPD stage 2. We then begin noticing that we cant get the turbo to fit in the pedistal. Me and rob struggled with this for over an hour. We then decided to pull the pedistal out, pull the turbo out and try mock it up on the work bench. We then found out that the turbo would not fit in the pedistal. Now Im getting pretty upset, considering how much I just paid for this turbo. We had to grind about an 1/8" of material off from the turbo and also the pedistal to get it to fit in place. Is it normal to recieve a turbo with pedistal and it not being a bolt on setup? I was under the impression that this would bolt up. And I wasnt to happy having to pull out the angle grinder on my new turbo! We get it installed finally at 3:30 in the morning. Since the install I have called over 5 times, and left two voicemails for someone to call me back regarding the issues I have had......still waiting

lesson learned

1) inspect every nut and bolt before installing a turbo!

2) from my experience LIPD (or whoever builds there stage 2 VGT) doesnt inspect there turbos before shipping out to customers.

3) Following up with customers concerns or shippment dates is not a high priority at LIPD.

for those that dont know me, Im an easy going guy that would give the shirt off from my back to help someone with an issue (ask Rob about silver lake), but this kind of service that I recieved just bothers me.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I know how much of a buzz kill it can be to drop big coin on a new toy only to have things go wrong before you even install the new part.
I would never take a grinder to a good part to make a bad part fit. The whole mess would have gone back in the box and returned to sender

Well I'm no ford owner but when I put my turbo on my truck there were a few modification we had to make, but none of the bolts on the turbo were loose. That seems pretty chitty to me. That is why I only use people I know and trust when purchasing big ticket items. Does the turbo at least react well to your setup?

I wonder if they grabbed the wrong turbo off a bench somewhere and sent you the wrong one....wrong year...not tested....I'd be concerned. Customer service is paramount to me. The folks that answer all my questions when I call and treat me like they could talk to me all day on the phone because I am their only customer are the ones I buy from reguardless of price. I'm like you, easy going, help anyone out anytime, but ask Hitatchi about my phone call concerneing my brand new DVD camcorder. I'm taking films of my little girl and now I can't get them off the disk. The parts are covered by a one year warranty but the labor was only covered for 90 days. After a short cussin', labor is also covered at this time. Then I appologized for being rude and hung up.

the turbo does work...but I was lied to about what the turbo is, and the condition that I recieved it. Here is a quote from Matt that used to work at LIPD regarding this situation....if you want to find out more on this check out what others have had to say about there experience with them.

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49495

PSD 60L Fx4 from TDG said:
BARRY1ME, the turbo doesn't fit the pedestal correctly because he is using "salvaged" compressor housings and backplates from the infamous "62mm" compressor upgrades they offered a while back. It requires grinding the lower bolt boss because it is too cheaply built to be constructed with the proper housing to fit the pedestal. The reason you were hearing noises as though the wheels were contacting is because they probably were; without having the clamps and bolts tightened there is a good chance that one or both of the housings are cocked to the side and causing either the turbine or compressor wheel to scrub- most commonly the turbine side. I've fought this many times when putting the housing on mis-aligned or undertorqued.

As for the assembly; well...I won't even go there. I have to absolutely laugh at it in the back of my head, but I do feel very bad for you being the victim of such incompetence

Not having the turbine side of the VGT worked over can be good or bad; such is purely dependant upon where you want your powerband to lie. The VGT from Jeremy has a smaller turbine side than the VGT-SS for quicker spool up, but includes a noticeably larger compressor side. This "hyrbid" for lack of a better term is why the turbo pulls so well mid-range, but probably lacks a bit up top.

If you would like, shoot me a PM when you get a chance, and I'll get you some contact information. I'll most certainly do what I can to help out. I do have some parts lying around here if need be; so contact me.

I can tell you first hand that given the current business practices (which started to slide down the slippery slope, unknowingly long before I ever came into the picture there) are right in line with a quickly sinking ship. I'm not going to go into details about every situation that has or did arise (hell, that would take until Christmas to type) but I stepped out of the company when I did for very good reason. I will not be part of an entity that is becoming border-line fraudulent, very dis-honest and ridiculously apathetic. I've been cleaning up these messes ever since I left.

Matt Geouge

I send it back and to a charge back on my credit card...F that

Oh Now you'll get somewhere, NMU98 is on it. LOL I thought Brian had left for good. LOL

Dalpilot said:
Oh Now you'll get somewhere, NMU98 is on it. LOL I thought Brian had left for good. LOL

:hehe::hehe:
Brian is like a rash...........You know the rest LOL

Dang, I hate reading all these horror stories from people who have been screwed over by LIPD. Maybe everyone needs to start filing complaints with the BBB.

I have not personally given any business to LIPD, but I did try to get a quote on a tuner and exhaust from LIPD before Matt left. Matt responded quickly and told me he forwarded the exhaust inquiry to Jeremy several times. I never got a response back from Jeremy. I can speak from my experience w/ Matt though. He is a very stand up guy with the best customer service I've ever had in my life. He bends over backwards to help his customers out and has no problems taking time to talk to future customers inquiring about his products. How many businesses call you after you have received an item to follow up and make sure you got their product and if you have any questions? I will be spending quite a bit of money w/ him in the near future.

curious to see how long the diesel garage thread goes on before the mods get worried that one of there vendors get upset and just shut the thread down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_F250
I figured out the guy didn't know what he was talking about when he talked so much smack about racing and what worked on the track and he told a guy on here that if he brought down his R/T it would make his E/T better.

Anyhow, I think this post should be put somewhere that everyone can see it as well. When you look at the vendors on a site like this you just have to assume they are vendors on the site because they are offering good products and good service. The fact that so many people have had problems with them not only reflects poorly on LIPD as a company, but also on TDG for keeping them as a sponsor...

I have a website and I have sponsors, and I promise you if as many people were having these kind of problems with one of my sponsors I would drop them in a heartbeat...

I 100% agree....I was under the same assumption...to be honest with you I feel this is being pushed under the rug so the mods wont have vendors upset at them....

Originally Posted by nmu98
Look what the guys on the Harley site do when they get Junk...

That was and is right in the softail section..

http://www.hdforums.com/m_2054638/tm.htm

I have seen several other discussion boards do this same thing. I think TDG should do the same thing if they care about the members!

wow...for those that havent seen TDG has removed LIPD from there site as a supporting vendor..

fordt said:
I am sorry for everyones troubles with LIPD. Due to many factors LIPD will no longer be a Supporting Vendor here on TheDieselGarage.com I hope that everything gets resolved to your satisfaction Barry. TDG is not a place for vendors like this. Thank You.

good..its should have been done a long time ago. If he is a supporting vendor here (which I doubt) he should be dropped..He is not a good businessman, or person for that matter.I knew that as soon as Matt left LIPD wouldn't last very long. Its just unfortunate Barry that you have to experience this kinda crap. Thats why you should always research..make a post on comp d..'how is LIPD' or such and such..I thought that it was pretty widely known that LIPD and Jeremy SUCK. I have told many others I would burn my money before I would give him one red cent.

Good luck on resolving your issue..but dont hold your breath on getting it resolved by him.

Abrannan19 said:
good..its should have been done a long time ago. If he is a supporting vendor here (which I doubt) he should be dropped..He is not a good businessman, or person for that matter.I knew that as soon as Matt left LIPD wouldn't last very long. Its just unfortunate Barry that you have to experience this kinda crap. Thats why you should always research..make a post on comp d..'how is LIPD' or such and such..I thought that it was pretty widely known that LIPD and Jeremy SUCK. I have told many others I would burn my money before I would give him one red cent.

Good luck on resolving your issue..but dont hold your breath on getting it resolved by him.

you know I guess I just thought that sense I saw his name all over on threads, that he was legit....so much for me and thinking someone is honest!

yep..there are so many crooks in the world that are out to make a dollar over providing a good product and good customer service..you always gotta ask.

He got what he deserved. Hopefully no one else will be misled by his shady business practices. I wanted to tell lots of people what I know but I can't. He reminds me more of a used car salesman than a business man--actually more graphic things come to mind, but I'll have to bite my tongue.

Last edited:
well he's a member here, maybe he'll come on and back himself up. but to be quite honest i think lipd is a turpile myself.

And to think...I got banned at TDG for giving LIPD crap about all his junk and him whining to them about me bashing him in public. LOL
Looks like I was right all along...I hate it when that happens.

What comes around goes around...I hope the guy winds up living in a box personally.