looking for used turbo ideas to twin a S362 on the cheap

kawi600

got Coal for Christmas
What would you all recommend for a cheap second hand turbo to go with a S362?
HX60? HT3B?
Im looking for something on the small side for towing.

Im towing with this, seemed kinda large. I can find used and reman S475 around 500 bucks but S472 are really expensive =(
Trying to make a setup that spools as low as possible I dont care as much about top end.

Last edited:
Gta4294 or 4202. S366 or 69 would come on quick but match better with an hx35.

I tow 35k with a 63/475 and an automatic. Never had an issue with it spooling

a776522f19a098af4f7571005f71144c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
power driven has a nice tow set thats made for low end spool I was lookin at. K27 over S369. Id love to get a 369 on there but the turbo I have is larger than a K27 and Im not sure if theres a hidden downside to having two turbos too close together in size? Does that make surging more likely?

x2 on the S475.

It's really not that big of a turbo, especially when running compounds.
Plus they're stupidly cheap!

No reason to not run an S475 IMO, ran one over an HE351 and it was always there when I needed it.

Also a 12cm housing on the turbo I have sounds like a bad combination with a 475

Last edited:
S475. Not sure how it is too big for you given you listed two other 75mm turbochargers already with similar sized turbines. Can always put the 1.15 housing on it..

S475. Not sure how it is too big for you given you listed two other 75mm turbochargers already with similar sized turbines. Can always put the 1.15 housing on it..

No advantage to going smaller to help with spool? Anything I can do to get more air on the bottom is good this truck does a lot of city driving and Im getting real tired of the confrontations I get with emissions SJW types here, among other issues.
Was really wanting Carl's supercharger kit but money is just not there for it =(

Whatever you put on it is going to be worse than the 62 as a single down low.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I love my 62/475 setup for a dd and towing. Lights quick, runs clean and plenty of power. Even with with just dap 7x10s they lit great. I also have a 1.10 housing on the 475,i wish I would of went with the 1.32 though

No advantage to going smaller to help with spool? Anything I can do to get more air on the bottom is good this truck does a lot of city driving and Im getting real tired of the confrontations I get with emissions SJW types here, among other issues.
Was really wanting Carl's supercharger kit but money is just not there for it =(

Put an s475 on it with the 83 turbine and a 1.10 T6 exhaust housing. A local diesel shop uses those quite often from us and they light QUICK. Money is quite a bit more on those, though. Anything cheap/used/salvaged will likely be large housings and large wheel sets for something heavy truck related. The box 171702 borg warner 475 is tough to beat for most but to get the most and spool QUICK the 75/83/1.10 T6 is pretty tits on a working tow rig.

Whatever you put on it is going to be worse than the 62 as a single down low.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This was my thinking. If you’re not changing the mani charger then you’re not going to gain anything down low, right? Just mid and top when the atmosphere charger comes on.

My experience with compounding a smaller charger is that the secondary lit slower in a compound setup, if I'd anything put a smaller manifold charger on it. For the primary a 75/83/1.10 would be sweet as Zach mentioned or maybe a used GTA4202 but that's likely going to come with a big gated housing and offer little benefit over the standard S475/96/1.32 that you'll spend the same money on for a brand new one.

Put an s475 on it with the 83 turbine and a 1.10 T6 exhaust housing. A local diesel shop uses those quite often from us and they light QUICK. Money is quite a bit more on those, though. Anything cheap/used/salvaged will likely be large housings and large wheel sets for something heavy truck related. The box 171702 borg warner 475 is tough to beat for most but to get the most and spool QUICK the 75/83/1.10 T6 is pretty tits on a working tow rig.

Zack,

While you're in here. Do you see many people tossing a 475 behind a stock 6.7 HE351VGT? Not for a race truck, just for a comfy tow truck that can get out of it's own way. Somehow I don't believe it when guys say they make >600hp at the wheels with some larger wheels in just a HE351VGT.

Zack,

While you're in here. Do you see many people tossing a 475 behind a stock 6.7 HE351VGT? Not for a race truck, just for a comfy tow truck that can get out of it's own way. Somehow I don't believe it when guys say they make >600hp at the wheels with some larger wheels in just a HE351VGT.

Some do put the box 75 on them. 6.7 engines seem to spool just about anything you throw on them for the most part. There are guys making 600+ with modified 351ve turbos but not a ton more than that. These 900+ horsepower runs are not realistic. You can spray anything to those numbers but they will not live forever. Some dynos seem to be more than forgiving as well...

I’m surprised everyone is suggesting an S475 and not an S369sxe, just since it seems like it has been the hot thing lately. I’d say you may be best swapping your s362 for something else a little smaller if your towing really heavy.

Possibly sell the 62, get an HE351, maybe have the hot side opened up, then possibly a 369. Kinda depends what kinda power you're hoping to make and tow with.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk