Looking into a Dodge

solow1k

thinking about making the move from my powerstroke over to a Dodge.

My current truck is a 2004 powerstroke with all the bolt ons but stock turbo. Making around 440/850. I really like it but i would like to move to a dually and ive got some ?'s

-what year Dodge has the best auto trans, im not looking for 6spd's
-what year responds to typical bolt ons the best. chip, intake, exhaust, etc...
-how is the overall truck, my ford is really nice but the power plant is something to be desired, ive heard the opposite about Dodge but never owned one.
-can you lower a 4wd dually? if so how far?
-which is the best chip, what do they cost?
-any issues fitting the big dually wheels? 22-24"

Sorry for all the dumb ?'s Any help is very appreciated.

I'm biased as to owning a DODGE as that's all I'll ever own.

On the auto trans., when ever you add power the stock trans. will NOT handle it. Depending how much power you want will determine how much of a build up you'll need. There are 3 top trans. builders (my .02) GOEREND, SUNCOAST, AND HTS which will build a trans. that can handle anything you throw at it. With a 4X4 and some power (over 600), you should go billet shafts throughout (3) and that'll cost, but power isn't cheap.

I would have to say the '06 model yr. is the all around best for using mods. Again, depending how much power you want and how much you want to spend.

What are you going to use the truck for?? You can get 600-800 hp and still daily drive/tow.

The SMARTY TNT ($700ish) pod is about the best programmer, I used to run a bullydog pmt w/crazy lary tune and switched over to what I have now, the smarty delivered more power.

I have a 2wd so I can't say on the 4x4 area. I'm running 20's with a 32'' tire which I had to do some trimming in the w.well.

I'm biased as to owning a DODGE as that's all I'll ever own.

On the auto trans., when ever you add power the stock trans. will NOT handle it. Depending how much power you want will determine how much of a build up you'll need. There are 3 top trans. builders (my .02) GOEREND, SUNCOAST, AND HTS which will build a trans. that can handle anything you throw at it. With a 4X4 and some power (over 600), you should go billet shafts throughout (3) and that'll cost, but power isn't cheap.

I would have to say the '06 model yr. is the all around best for using mods. Again, depending how much power you want and how much you want to spend.

What are you going to use the truck for?? You can get 600-800 hp and still daily drive/tow.

The SMARTY TNT ($700ish) pod is about the best programmer, I used to run a bullydog pmt w/crazy lary tune and switched over to what I have now, the smarty delivered more power.

I have a 2wd so I can't say on the 4x4 area. I'm running 20's with a 32'' tire which I had to do some trimming in the w.well.

Ive actually looked into some 06's, and i do mainly towing but nothing to heavy. Pretty much always under 10k. So i guess if i went with an 06 i would need Smarty, exhaust (how big), built trans (ive had experience with suncoast and i like them), and maybe minor other mods?

Cheapest power, 94-98 12valve, all mechanical though so no chips or downloaders.

Best transmission, 04+ 48re or new 6.7 cummins 07.5'+ 68re. The 68re is the strongest stock transmission but it won't hold above 550 or so and there aren't many aftermarket upgrades available for that tranny yet.

The most reliable dodge trucks are the 96, 97, and 98 12valves with 5 speed manual transmission.

The cheapest and easiest trucks to 500 rear wheel horsepower is the 04.5-07 5.9 24 valve common rail trucks. All it takes is a 600 dollar tuner and you're there.

94-98's can deliver the fuel for 500 HP for less than $700 but don't have a large enough stock turbo for more than 400-425 HP.

With a cheap $100 dollar leveling kit, most dodge 4x4's will clear 35" tires without rubbing.

And finally, it's true, most dodge diesel trucks have a motor that will run much longer than the body and chassis will last.

Only thing i disagree about is the Suncoast transmissions, overpriced IMO.
I would say the top builders are Goerend, Garmon and HTS.

BTW, I am partial to 97 12 valves. Simple to work on and hasnt let me down yet. I pull my 12k camper all over the USA and have NEVER had a problem.

Cheapest power, 94-98 12valve, all mechanical though so no chips or downloaders.

Best transmission, 04+ 48re or new 6.7 cummins 07.5'+ 68re. The 68re is the strongest stock transmission but it won't hold above 550 or so and there aren't many aftermarket upgrades available for that tranny yet.

The most reliable dodge trucks are the 96, 97, and 98 12valves with 5 speed manual transmission.

The cheapest and easiest trucks to 500 rear wheel horsepower is the 04.5-07 5.9 24 valve common rail trucks. All it takes is a 600 dollar tuner and you're there.

94-98's can deliver the fuel for 500 HP for less than $700 but don't have a large enough stock turbo for more than 400-425 HP.

With a cheap $100 dollar leveling kit, most dodge 4x4's will clear 35" tires without rubbing.

And finally, it's true, most dodge diesel trucks have a motor that will run much longer than the body and chassis will last.

good info and thanks! so i wouldn't be wrong looking into the 05/07's. All i really want is a reliable 500hp truck that i can hook to anything

my early 04 has the 47re, I upgraded it myself and it pulls better than my buddy's 05 with an upgraded 48re... pulled cattle with him and his shifts alot harder than mine... not really sure with the differences I know the valve bodies will interchange with electronic changes and gear position arm