Loping Idle

COV = Cascade Overflow Valve

It provides lubrication to the CP3 pump, regulates fuel pressure to the FCA (Fuel Control Actuator), and controls the fuel return to the tank. Basically if the COV is bad you can have too much fuel return and not enough going to the rail, or have too much/not enough fuel going to the FCA. It might have more or less functions than that but that's how I understand it. My bottom (stock) CP3 is untouched and original so this very well could be the problem.

you bypassed the airdog? i was talking about bypassing the 2 micron filter only to rule that out. do you have 1/2" line all the way from the tank to the cp3s?

you bypassed the airdog? i was talking about bypassing the 2 micron filter only to rule that out. do you have 1/2" line all the way from the tank to the cp3s?

No, I bypassed the 2mic filter. However I did pull the fuse once on the AD just to see if it made a difference at idle (possibly having too much FP at idle), but it made no difference. Yes there is 1/2" SS braided line going to the pump, then it's the 1/2" blue AD line from the pump to the CP3's. I never even noticed until last weekend that the fuel line isn't a Y feeding both pumps. The fuel line goes to the top pump, then there's a SS line feeding the bottom pump. It's always been like that, but I'm wondering if a Y would be better so both pumps have 1/2" line. The CP3's feed the rail via separate lines though. I still need to call Todd. Just haven't had the time during the day yet, but I should tomorrow.

if you try the cov let me know if it makes a difference, one of my pumps is still the stock one with a lot of miles also.
i think i have the same dual pump kit as you, i am planning to run all 1/2 inch line then y it to 2 3/8 lines, 1 to each pump. i was told that is the best way to do it.

it feeds to one pump and then the other? that doesnt seem like a good method to me

it feeds to one pump and then the other? that doesnt seem like a good method to me

Yup. I'm not sure if that's how the other companies are, but that's how ATS did it.
I called and left Todd a message earlier so I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Just talked to Todd and ordered the COV's. After he explained them better I'm pretty confident that's what it is. If that's not it at least I'll have a small performance gain with the modded COV's.

Just got the COV's installed and the truck seems to run quite a bit better! Still some excess smoke when it first starts but once it warms up a little bit there is just a consistent black haze (like it should). Idle is a lot smoother, and I notice a much better/smoother power curve. Once again Todd is the man!

Glad it all worked out for ya Austin... I was thinking for a sec I was goin to have to take that 2 mic setup off your hands ;)

Well fella's the lope is back. Started about a week ago actually after pulling about 4000# (moving) a few hundred miles. Does it BAD when in gear and the engine is cold. After the engine warms up it's not near as bad. I'm calling Todd this afternoon for some more input. Almost wanting to pull the new injectors that are only a few months old. Any other idea's guys?

that sucks. my truck hasnt done it since the cam install but it wasnt really doing it right before either lol if i can figure anything out ill let you know.

mine did this after i got it together swaped cascade valves, rail pressure sensor, fca's, ended up being the fuel line going to the dmax pump put a y on it and ran to both pumps went away as soon as i started it up. its worth a try worked on mine i have the ats kit with dmax top pump.

Todd called me today after seeing my post (thanks again, Todd!). I'm going to remove the belt and plug up only the stock pump to see if this fixes it. With no blowby I'm convinced it's the injection system. It's just a matter of what!

Both FCA's are basically new. I have the old ones to try out if going back to a single pump for a test doesn't show the issue.

I'll post back after giving this a try. Hopefully will be tomorrow or Wednesday. If that does fix it I'll change the fuel feed to a Y and go from there.

Todd called me today after seeing my post (thanks again, Todd!). I'm going to remove the belt and plug up only the stock pump to see if this fixes it. With no blowby I'm convinced it's the injection system. It's just a matter of what!

Both FCA's are basically new. I have the old ones to try out if going back to a single pump for a test doesn't show the issue.

I'll post back after giving this a try. Hopefully will be tomorrow or Wednesday. If that does fix it I'll change the fuel feed to a Y and go from there.

mine only did it in gear in park under no load it idled smooth, from your video it looks like yours does it it park as well.

Well got down to one pump today and it made a very little difference. I noticed the exhaust was a tad quieter, but the lope was the same tone. Todd is going to send me a tool to test the compression. We are thinking either a leaky head gasket or valve not seating properly.

I'll check that tomorrow, thanks John. Up by the engine it sounds completely normal. No weird clings or rattles. Just mostly when the engine is cool the truck will lope so bad that it shakes the truck in gear.

I'll check that tomorrow, thanks John. Up by the engine it sounds completely normal. No weird clings or rattles. Just mostly when the engine is cool the truck will lope so bad that it shakes the truck in gear.

have you gotten any further on whats causing this?