Loping??

Chuck-Norris.jpg

Sorry Brandon, you're wrong.
charlie-sheen1916.jpg

Winning!LOL

Mine idles pretty good now except right after a hard pull(dyno or at the track). It goes through a rough phase then smooths out after about 10 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=_fnf38P3u80

RonA

Ron,
I was just watching the video, do you think the lope could be caused by really hot injector tips that cause the needle to stick a little and throw off the pop pressures?

Or do you think it's something internally in the pump that causes the lope for a few seconds?

Interesting to say the least.

Poor tuning. A diesel shouldn't lope no matter what cam, injection pump, injectors, turbo or anything else is used on it.

Nope. Poor adjustment and/or parts choice. A Hydraulic system has no delay. Choosing the correct delivery valves will fix the lope and not hinder power output.
If sled pullers making 2000+hp can idle without a lope, there is no reason a sub-1000hp street engine can't.

FYI, when people hear a diesel lope they don't think "thats cool", they think "whats wrong with that POS".

I dont agree with all that. most all high hp sled pullers do lope that i have heard. and if you got the perfect combo of parts that works on every truck out there then please let me know. all truck react different to mods. and who cares what other people think really? why do people think gas engines sound good when they lope? i think it some trucks sound good when they lope and some dont. i think lope tunes on dmax and ford sound like crap but a 12 valve with a lope sounds good. but what do i know. $.02

most all high hp sled pullers do lope that i have heard.
Key word there.

and if you got the perfect combo of parts that works on every truck out there then please let me know.
Thats the key there, loping is a sign you have a problem and something can be improved.

and who cares what other people think really?
Everyone should. People with loping and smoking trucks give EVERY diesel a bad image.

why do people think gas engines sound good when they lope?
Because they lope for a reason. Hot cams cause low intake vacuum which makes it difficult to impossible for them to idle smooth. A diesel really doesn't have any excuse.

Because they lope for a reason. Hot cams cause low intake vacuum which makes it difficult to impossible for them to idle smooth. A diesel really doesn't have any excuse.

An overly sensitive governor on a dedicated puller isn't a valid excuse?

Quite a few have figured out how to do it right.

Mine lopes because I run .093 lines and tubes. I also have a 13mm pump and was told by the builder (CDS) to use the bigger lines. Guess you know more than CDS. :umno:

Dunno????? you tell me LOL I bought those from you too!
I run the .084 lines with .093 tubes and .120 DV holders. I wasn't sure which was best so I tried all three sizes.
Ya know Tim, there's a guy in Browns Valley CA that re-sets injectors. His quality stinks, but he's cheap.(I bet it would idle better with them re-set).

RonA

Nope. Poor adjustment and/or parts choice. A Hydraulic system has no delay. Choosing the correct delivery valves will fix the lope and not hinder power output.

While the fuel in the injection lines is pretty darn incompressible, but the material the injection lines are made out of is a different story. Different length lines wouldn't affect injection timing if they didn't tend to swell a touch at 10,000+ PSI.

Bulk and strain modulus and stuff. :pop:

Whether or not it's possible to tune lope out isn't the issue... Lope is a common byproduct of big lines and injection systems and there's plenty of engines making big power with the lope, so it isn't a sign that things are being done wrong.

Lope is awesome and will continue to be awesome until posers find a way to recreate it without major engine modifications. Novelty electronic tuning aside.

Last edited:
Ya know Tim, there's a guy in Browns Valley CA that re-sets injectors. His quality stinks, but he's cheap.(I bet it would idle better with them re-set).

RonA

No doubt you are right Ron. When I get a free moment I'll give that guy a call and arrange it.....Thank you buddy!

Ohh, and Mr. gasser trash, I want to see this Promod pull truck that doesn't lope. Please provide a video link.

Last edited:
While the fuel in the injection lines is pretty darn incompressible, but the material the injection lines are made out of is a different story. Different length lines wouldn't affect injection timing if they didn't tend to swell a touch at 10,000+ PSI.

Bulk and strain modulus and stuff. :pop:

Whether or not it's possible to tune lope out isn't the issue... Lope is a common byproduct of big lines and injection systems and there's plenty of engines making big power with the lope, so it isn't a sign that things are being done wrong.

Lope is awesome and will continue to be awesome until posers find a way to recreate it without major engine modifications. Novelty electronic tuning aside.

i agree begle. im not going to make my main goal in life to make my truck lope and just spend money to make it lope on a truck that only makes minimal hp. i could care less about smoke and the way it sounds(even though i do like to see smoke and hear a lope) i just want to make power and go fast. if someday my truck does lope i want it to be because its built.
and i said MOST pulling trucks ive heard lope is because i didnt want to say ALL because someone post a vid of a truck that doesnt lope and say im wrong :blahblah1: you get the picture. lets not forget the original post asked what makes a truck lope? not which is the best way to tune my truck or what sounds cool. i just tried to answer the question .

Guess you know more than CDS.
No. They simply didn't fully inform you. They just wanted an easy sale from a loose-wallet customer. :kick:

Ohh, and Mr. gasser trash
Mr. Ignorant, who are you talking to?

explain how a loping diesel gives ALL diesels a bad image?
Association. The same way GM was able to screw over ALL diesel sales in the US based on the reputation of one crappy engine.

No. They simply didn't fully inform you. They just wanted an easy sale from a loose-wallet customer. :kick:

Mr. Ignorant, who are you talking to?

:lolly: Ya, ok (you obviously know who I'm talking to)