Loud knock and lots of smoke, raw fuel

those are huge arent they? These 5x16s are to big.. how much u want? They will actually turn in the head?

well that sounds like fun. I wish there was a near by shop that has injectors handy... Im going to try and pull all of them today after work. These injectors were recently installed so i think everything will come out fine.

Aren't you close to Dave's diesel? I know they can be kind of idiots, BUT I know they could test the injectors you have.

have not got to it yet but what if its broken and a piece fell in the cylinder?

well of course the worst has to happen, one injector is broke so the piece is somethere in the motor.. what do i do now?

photo6.jpg

Looks like it is just missing a very small piece, you may be fine depending on where it went. The bigger question is did it melt anything in the short time it was running. I see you looking for a boroscope to borrow to check, would be a very good idea if you can find one.

yea i doubt ill find one.. what could it have melted? Where could it have gone? Ill just have a buddy pull the head if i can....

Piston possibly, the piece could have went out the exhaust and never hurt anything, or be sitting there on top of the piston. Odds are that nothing melted with how short of a time you said it was running with the noise. Also odds are that the broken piece went out the exhaust. But odds have screwed me before. Might talk to a few shops and see if anyone has a boroscope to take a look for you, never know.

i dont have a way to get it to a place lol. I pray that it just went out the exhaust!! im going to see if i can get it to a buddys house and have him pull the head i guess.

Id borescope the cylinder too make sure it isnt messed up and put injectors in it and see how it runs, no point pulling the head if you dont have too.

I don't want to f it up even more tho. I seriously can't find a borescope. And if I do they all seem to
Big to fit.

I'd stick a new set of injectors in it and try it out. If somethings hurt, the damage has been done. But if it doesn't burn oil or have a load of blowby, you'll be fine.

if i were you i would just pull the head and give everything a good look and pull the valves in the cylinder to check if they may have got bent any at al if that piece did go out the exhaust. i'd rather be safe than sorry. then you will know for sure what all happened with it and your not gussing. Head gaskets are cheap compared to a rebuild

***I'm cheap***

I'd buy a set of small pen sized magnets from harbor freight for $4 and fish around in the cylinder. If nothing comes out after 10 minutes of fishing, I would throw a cheap set of used injectors, $100 in the motor and run it. If it still doesn't sound right, then I'd go to the expense of pulling the head and checking the piston, valves, and exhaust turbine wheel on the turbo or turbos.

If this is a high performance toy, and you plan to play hard, you probably need to remove the head and make sure everything looks fine including the valves.

Haha yea I think I'll pull the head. Gaskets are not that much money and I'm
Going to just throw some 370s in there if everything looks ok. Well see what happens.

Back