Loud popping/knocking noise after build

redram410

Over the weekend we have installed f1 springs, 130hp injectors, arp studs, ATS arc flow, stage 3 cp3, and a twin setup stocker/s400 on my buddys 06. Weve put a lot of time into the install the past few nights and have did everything exactly by the book, step by step. After finally getting everything done tonight we fire it up and let it idle, right away we notice a slight "lope" sound, we figured it was just all the fuel (big sticks and cp3), after it idled for a few minutes a buddy walked around to the door and gave it a little fuel then slightly pumped the pedal (reving it a little). Soon as he did that the motor sounded crazy, making a loud popping/knocking noise. We looked over everything and only noticed one problem which was that the intercooler boot going to the acr flow had came off (the stock boot was too short for the arc flow so he is going to buy a new one tomorrow) Would this happening make that loud noise coming from the motor?? Thanks for the help, Tyler (havent taken the valve cover off yet to look at all that, planning on it tomorrow)

Im not sure, I'll take a look when we get the valve cover off, I guess I'll know more tomorrow. The knocking is loud. I've got my fingers crossed that it isn't anything major but man it sounds horrible and loud!

Did some 3rd gen injectors had a "lope" did the lash on the exhaust valves and that fixed it.

Holy smokes post 300 three years later:hehe:

carry on, good luck.:hehe:

Well it started out as a lope sound but after giving it a little fuel it started making that crazy sound....we did the valve lash when we installed the springs and everything went well (but it was annoying as hell)

BTW the noise never went away once it started. after that first rev the knocking noise has stayed no matter what. started the truck 3 different times and let it run for a short period of time and it knocks real loud everytime

Did some gov springs for a buddy today and before we put the air horn on when he reved it above 2k it popped and sounded weird, but, with the air horn on it ran like a champ.

Hopefully just the air horn boot is throwing off the ECM and fueling weird.

You have no idea how awesome that would be if that fixed it. Guess we will have to see what happens with the new boot. Thanks for the quick replies and I will update tomorrow.

Does the knocking seem to increase with the engine rpms?
Does it sound like it's coming from the top of the engine or the bottom?

Is it a knocking or a popping? Thats two different sounds to me.

Does the knocking seem to increase with the engine rpms?
Does it sound like it's coming from the top of the engine or the bottom?

Im not sure if the knocking increases with rpm. We have only let it idle the few times its been started because we didn't want to make anything worse by reving it. And it sounds like its more from the right side of the motor. Hard to tell if its on the top or bottom its so loud

Is it a knocking or a popping? Thats two different sounds to me.

It sounds like someone is taking a huge potato chip bag and popping it, i dont know if that makes since. It doesnt sound like metal on metal it sounds like air

Check the valves first. That's easy to do. And it "kinda" sounds like an exhaust pop, but usually it won't be frighteningly loud. More annoying than scare the crap outta you.

Ill try to. It might not be today but I will asap..we havent got to work on it any. between working and classes its hard to find time except for the weekends. Thanks for the help again guys

Is it throwing any codes? Make sure none of the injector wires are shorting on the head studs...

i was working on the truck with redram410. like he said when we first started it up it just sounded like a lope but as i got closer, it sounded like it was coming from inside the intake. but then when we gave it some fuel it sounded like a fully auto shotgun and wouldn't stop(at idle). could this be a timing issue with the smarty tnt?

Sounds like valve lash, But I have seen the CRs make a popping/clanking noise if the injector harness was removed while the batteries were still conected, disconecting the batteries a few min. will fix this.

Let us know what you find.

What did you set the valves to and are you sure you had it at TDC when adjusting them.

What did you set the valves to and are you sure you had it at TDC when adjusting them.

I just got off the phone with the owner of the truck. we did not have it at TDC when we adjusted the valves. we are going to set it to TDC and readjust sometime this week.