Loud popping/knocking noise after build

Live and learn. Do you guys think that could have caused any potential problems or other damage?

I am going to say no. But hard tellin. Probably some premature wear on your effected valve train is all hopefully.

When you were doing the valves a few must have seemed real tight so you backed them way off, so they were open when they should have been shut. So now they were not opening all the way and had the rocker arm slamming down on them.

I can envision this racket you heard now.

You are exactly right! 2 of them were mothers to get adjusted and yes we did have to back them way off...His longer intercooler boot will be here before the weekend and we plan on getting the valves readjusted and the new boot on saturday probably. Ill keep the thread updated as we get it all straight

You are exactly right! 2 of them were mothers to get adjusted and yes we did have to back them way off...His longer intercooler boot will be here before the weekend and we plan on getting the valves readjusted and the new boot on Saturday probably. Ill keep the thread updated as we get it all straight

i dunno whats going on, but my tuck is doing the same exact thing. sounds just like a rod knock, but from the upper part of the block. valves got readjusted today and sound is still there could this be a injector goin out? 90k on the clock

sorry hijack the thread:thankyou2:

i dunno whats going on, but my tuck is doing the same exact thing. sounds just like a rod knock, but from the upper part of the block. valves got readjusted today and sound is still there could this be a injector goin out? 90k on the clock

sorry hijack the thread:thankyou2:

when you adjusted your valves was it at TDC?

when you adjusted your valves was it at TDC?

yes,
#1, TDC intake:1,2,4
exhaust 1,3,5

rotated motor 360 intake:3,5,6
exhaust 2,4,6

it all happened after i swapped from a edge with attitude to the smarty, couple diligent runs on 5, couple days later i have a knock, that some times is like a gunshot by your head, or none existent.

yes,
exhaust 1,3,5

exhaust 2,4,6

it all happened after i swapped from a edge with attitude to the smarty, couple diligent runs on 5, couple days later i have a knock, that some times is like a gunshot by your head, or none existent.

i am definitely not a Cummins expert but i do know that some ppl were having timing issues with their smarty's. i dont know if yours is a TNT or not but this thread might help you out.
Scratching my head over TNT again... - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

it does it on the stock tune also, i had a misfire with the edge, so i took it off but its still there, injectors are the only thing i can think of other then a bearing goin out. and with 90k miles on the clock, seems to fit in with one going out. i'll play with the timing and RP see what happens

it does it on the stock tune also, i had a misfire with the edge, so i took it off but its still there, injectors are the only thing i can think of other then a bearing goin out. and with 90k miles on the clock, seems to fit in with one going out. i'll play with the timing and RP see what happens

i also read that if you remove the injector harness with the batteries still plugged up it can cause something like this. let us know the out come.

i also read that if you remove the injector harness with the batteries still plugged up it can cause something like this. let us know the out come.

i reset the pcm, make no difference, nor does timing or RP with the smarty. on the stock program (smarty completely removed) the knock is there. im at a loss, cause either way...its expensive

edit: done with revo, no TNT software loaded

Is it throwing any codes? Make sure none of the injector wires are shorting on the head studs...

No codes and im pretty sure none of the injector wires were close enough to touch any head studs. Were you at Beans dyno event back in December? Seems like i remember seeing you there taking pics...BTW awesome write up in the new diesel world

Took everything back apart tonight and found this:bang...we are just happy thats all thats wrong. If only we would have adjusted the valves correctly

The first rod I rolled in the vid is fine as you can see...the second one is the only one that took a beating. Should have a new rod and that intercooler boot by this weekend :rockwoot:

No codes and im pretty sure none of the injector wires were close enough to touch any head studs. Were you at Beans dyno event back in December? Seems like i remember seeing you there taking pics...BTW awesome write up in the new diesel world

Yup, I was there shooting and so was my son. Thanks, we try our best!:woohoo:

yes,
exhaust 1,3,5

exhaust 2,4,6

Loud shotgun blast? Coming from the engine or out of the exhaust?

yea, it was coming from the block, took it to a buddies shop and they said iw was a wrist pin from the sound (high on the block) so the head is getting pulled and we shall see