Lowering?

Supershot

HOw low can a 3/4 ton 4wd truck go? Changing drive shaft lengths is not a problem. I dont want the truck to handle or drive poorly though. I am looking to go low mainly drag racing.

Darren Morrison's old black 4x4 sat pretty low, and so does the Smith truck, maybe they will chime in.

You could probbably cut your coils and get shorter shocks. You could also might bag i so you get a better ride?

I think the limiting factor is going to be the front diff hitting the crossmember but,

:pop:

Last edited:
i would say maybe either 2wd springs or just cutting a coil or 2 out of the stock ones would get you down pretty good. as for the back you can do an axle flip kit but that's about a 5" drop or you can just 4 link it. you can do drop shackles and take the stock block and a few leafs out but you will need to run traction bars b/c you will get wheel hop w/ longer shackles and taking the leafs out.

I dont think 2wd springs will fit on a 4wd truck...they are totally different.
some guys said they can yank the blocks out of the rear...the rear would be EASY..for the front I would call some spring manufactures to see about a custom spring...springs are not that expensive....I thought I read in the Drag forum that one guy had Thuren fab building/getting him some custom lowered springs for his 4wd.

usually w/ they flip kit it comes w/ a mini notch. w/ shackles and taking a few leafs out you will be ok. unless it's a dually and you have an overload leaf and stops on the frame. you might also need to change out the bump stops for smaller ones.

didn't know that the springs were different just throwing an idea out there. you couls always do the old heat and shrink to the coils.

i believe my Luke Humleys drag truck(Heartland Diesel Performance) thats soon to be at the track is running 1500 suspension on his 2500 truck handles and feels a hundred times safer that way now also!

l_59f56f7535e1336568c8ef56e7c2e817.jpg

We run 1500 parts , on Project X , the cast iron uprights are available in and will interchange with 2 WD , I am not sure it works like that on a 4 wheel drive.

If you going to make a hard core drag truck for the track the 2wd is IMO the fastest way to go, less weight, and parasitic drag . But in a street only situation a 4WD works better.
XAT159MPH.jpg

Greg-16.jpg

After looking at mine i think you could cut one coil out of the front springs. The sway bar mounts would have to be shortened. Rear you could loose the blocks easy.

Im gonna try it on mine, Im guessing the front will go down 2"-3". I will drop the rear after that to match. My truck is going to keep the "raked" look.

I cut the springs on my car in high school. Didnt have any bad effects, But it only weighed 3200# not 7K

i might have to play with cutting a set of springs since i have a set off my wrecked 2500

I cut my coils and took the rear block out of my 94 4x4. I really like the ride height with no side effects.

Sounds interesting. I am going to take the levelin kit off mine and drop the back to match..

We run 1500 parts , on Project X , the cast iron uprights are available in and will interchange with 2 WD , I am not sure it works like that on a 4 wheel drive.

XAT159MPH.jpg

Greg-16.jpg

i figured that, i know another guy that'll be swapping out his 2500 suspension for 1500 too. what do you run for shocks. i swaped over to a resi style trailmaster shock and it made a world of difference.