Lowering?

I thought I read in the Drag forum that one guy had Thuren fab building/getting him some custom lowered springs for his 4wd.

That was me...I got the front shocks and springs in, but I still need to do the rear, re-plumb the twins, and mount the shock reservoir. The big shocks really messed up the twins piping layout:D

It was going to be done this week, but a family emergency is more important than the truck. It can be fixed;)

Chris

Also, as far as Project X...2wd's parts are a lot more interchangeable.

Chris, got any details on that? I've given serious though to ditching the lift and bumpers and lowering my truck to 2wd height and putting some 18's on it.

We lowered our race truck about 2 inches up front and 2.5 in the rear and the truck still handles and drives great.

We cut about 1 coil off in the front (don't use heat if you are doing this) and then took out two leafs in the rear. Truck has more aggressive look and hooks up better off the line too. Its an 03 2500 4X4

Chris, got any details on that? I've given serious though to ditching the lift and bumpers and lowering my truck to 2wd height and putting some 18's on it.

Thuren's thoughts were that for my application, 1" under stock was all he was willing to go. If you wanted to modify bump stops, I'd say he could go lower. So I had him make me up some 2.5" King shocks, and springs to do this. He says it should be a lot more firm and controlled than what I had before. It can't be any worse;)

On the rear, I'm just taking out enough block to get it level, the bottom spring and top overload springs, and going with an airbag helper for when I tow something. This is going to be my DD, and I'll be pulling some farm equipment and trailers with it as well.

It was pricey, but I think it should be worth it. The only things left stock in my suspension/steering is the factory steering box, and shaft.

Hopefully Sunday, or next week I can get everything finished up. We have other things on our mind right now:confused:

I'll report back when I have driven it.
Chris

Hmm. Might have to give him a call. I'm still up in the air about this because I love the stance of my truck right now but a lowered 4wd with some nice rims would be a killer street truck.

Good luck with the family and I hope everything turns out alright.

what about just switching to a coilover instead of the springs and shocks. i would think it would be a better ride and easier to dial in a height.

Hmm. Might have to give him a call. I'm still up in the air about this because I love the stance of my truck right now but a lowered 4wd with some nice rims would be a killer street truck.

Good luck with the family and I hope everything turns out alright.

Thanks Tyler, I appreciate that...everyone is doing as well as can be expected, but we lost Grandpa pretty suddenly yesterday. We'll be fine after a little healing, and it's easier when we know he's not hurting anymore!

I'll send a pic of mine when done with the truck...blingy 18's and all:D
Chris

Thanks Tyler, I appreciate that...everyone is doing as well as can be expected, but we lost Grandpa pretty suddenly yesterday. We'll be fine after a little healing, and it's easier when we know he's not hurting anymore!

I'll send a pic of mine when done with the truck...blingy 18's and all:D
Chris

Sorry to hear about your grandpa.

please post some pics when you get it together!!!!

word to the wise on cutting coil springs if its anythign like cutting coils on a car its a :badidea: it really affects the ride and just doesnt feel safe ha

word to the wise on cutting coil springs if its anythign like cutting coils on a car its a :badidea: it really affects the ride and just doesnt feel safe ha

yeah i'm with you!!!
thats why I wanna see what Chris truck looks and rides like with the custom springs.

as long as your not cutting a variable ratio spring. cutting one coil off the spring will not change the spring rate it will only change the maximum force the spring can exert.

We are always looking for good looking lowered diesel trucks to be featured in DIESEL BUILDER magazine! So when you guys get any of these rigs finished shoot me an email with some photos. Who knows maybe you'll get your truck in a magazine!:woohoo::snoop:

We are always looking for good looking lowered diesel trucks to be featured in DIESEL BUILDER magazine! So when you guys get any of these rigs finished shoot me an email with some photos. Who knows maybe you'll get your truck in a magazine!:woohoo::snoop:

we'll see how far i get on my steering brace and guages tonight maybe i'll play with lowering it.

Thats what I was thinking but I actually think it would be the steering system

The steering would be simple. All that would be needed is to re-clock the steering wheel useing the tie rod that attaches to the steering box. An alignment would be mandatory with any suspension change though.

My truck is going the mini tub route to fit in some 33x15.50 Baja Claws aout back. After it is lowered.

I've always been told that if your going to cut a coil to do it slowly and not to use a torch to do it and try and keep the area as cool as possible as the heat can mess with things.

:evil
l_55c14e0c4b6d55d1a632bf6b9f0493f6.jpg

I have found that cuttin one coil was not enough for me, I would at least cut 2 out. I cut mine with a torch as long as you dont dip them in water afterwards they should keep their strength. mines not street driven either no sharp turns of course I have 315s on it and the front end is pretty much on the bump stops