Manual or auto and why?

X3speed

I have the chance to buy a built auto or a manual setup. Bothe are the same price, both will handle the same power. What are the advantages and disadvantages to both?

How much power you gonna make, and what are you doing with the truck? If it were me id go manual but I tow a lot, worry about mileage and like to know it is all mechanical and not electronics.

It's going to be a daily driver, no towing, just for play. I'd probably run up to 500hp max. It's a 96 rclb 4x4.

auto is quicker from dead stop and better for drag racing
manual is more trusty and better for towing or sled pulling
these are all just my opinions as I have seen autos dominate in drags but blow up in pulling and are usually more expenisve to repair

Auto=faster and easier to drive (say you have a cheeseburger in traffic, or a cell phone, or a woman) and higher OD. Manual=more fuel efficient and better for towing, albeit some would argue that point. No boost launch and lower OD. I am partial to the auto's but understand the appeal of a manual truck.

most fun would be manual

easiest to drive is auto

like i always say, ya never know whats goin on inside an auto

I currently own an automatic 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 HD. It is very quick and easy to drive, but I feel like I'm really missing a stick shift vehicle. Is it an entirely different feel than a gas to shift car?

Which would be the most fun to daily drive with?

Manual for sure. Only reason why I'd consider an auto would be racing. Overdrive is marginal, and no boosted launches can be fixed with a clutch swap. Price out a built auto vs. a clutch and input shaft (if 5 spd) and the difference is clear.

Auto = Consistency
Manual = Row row row your boat,,,

There is a reason why the big 3 is starting to drop manuals.

Both setups will run me the same price. The only auto I can afford is a garmon tow rig. The manual is a rebuilt nv4500, HD clutch etc.

the nv4500 is missing a gear between 2nd and third, thats the only gripe i have about mine. with big turbos you have to wind the snot out of 2nd gear to keep a decent rpm into 3rd

on the flat roads its fine, hills with a load would be a trick, unless you had a stock turbo, then it would be fine

I do have a stock turbo, and I would probably twin turbo the truck in the distant future. I live in illinois, so hills are not a problem and usually that cargo are me and my mountain bikes.

i say 5 speed then, ease of install (no wires or cables) and years of worry free function.

That's the direction I'm leaning. I know it will handle a decent amount of power compared to the tow rig from Garmon. I think all that I would have to do is make sure the hd clutch is rated high enough. Thanks orangenv. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

what hp range are you gonna end up in? the 500 range? i would throw a sbc street dd clutch in it, unless you have this "hd" clutch already

My first two trucks where built autos, the last two where manuals with dual disk clutches, one a nv4500 and the other a nv5600.

IMO a stick gets boring to drive. It is nothing like driving a stick in a fast car or anything like that. I went with an auto because simply, if I pull up next to a mustang, camaro, ricer, powerstroke, whatever, I dont have to worry about slammin gears to put an ass whoopin on anyone.

Chris at ED once told me "Built Autos are where its at, manuals belong in sports cars" or something along those lines haha

I do not have it yet. I'm having turbo Matt's diesel performance do the swap. I will ask about this clutch. I'm think 5-700max, but i'm not sure what would produce a fast usable daily driver.