Manual or auto and why?

i have always loved being able to shift when I want and have gotten bored with autos. I have had a manual in everyone of my vehicles but 1. Now my commonrail went from a 6 speed to a built auto with a manual vb. Now Still have the quickness of the auto and the ability to shift when I want. I won't go back. My 12 valve has a 5 speed and will have a built auto setup the same way. Super easy to setup this way as far as wiring. I however would not want to do this if you dont want to use a floor mounted style shifter. It would get old fast using the column shift with a manual vb.

haha i was just going to throw a auto with a manual vb out there, thats what i would do if it was just a dd to have fun in

i also have the auto with the manual vb in mine... goerend built mine... and i love it... i will never have a different style trans

i had a friend (trans builder) tell me they switch to autos because it makes controlling shift points and such to lower emissions. either way, an auto is faster when built correctly but i have a soft spot for manual transmissions.

its like driving a standard without a clutch and super fast shifting, but if I am right you always have to shift the tranny through all the gears. in other words whatever gear you put it in is what gear its in. It doesn't shift on its own. somebody correct me if I am wrong

Manual VB means you are always shifting it. Personally I'd stick with a normal VB and put a ratchet shifter on it that I can shift manually if I want to. Only problem with that is that it wouldn't necessarily upshift as fast as a true manual VB so you might tach out before the shift happens and screw stuff up. IIRC, I know on gassers you can get a combo of both, should be able to do the same on these trucks I would think. Or maybe I'm mistaken?

If your prone to breaking bones, manual transmissions can be an issue at times. That is the one complaint, the other is expensive manual transmission oil, but atleast they dont require that much.

if you put my trans in D its in 3rd.... you have to be the brain of the trans.... i control when it shifts... basically its the best of both worlds IMO...

i have a TCI outlaw Gate shifter for mine... much easier that a rachet shifter... park to 1st is one motion

The only way I am aware of that you can have a manual vb shift and a regular electronic shift is with a standalone transmission controller which I plan on purchasing for my cr and leaving the full manual vb on my 12 valve. I love the manual shift ability because I have always been a manual guy. I also have the TCI outlaw shifter and it is a blast to shift. The only complaint is parking because you have to go through the gate from 1st to reverse unless you have a reverse manual vb with reverse gate. I would highly recommend it though.

This is a picture of mine after final fitment and before paint. The reason I made mine so high is that my arm rests on the center console with my hand right there at the shifter. Its really comfortable instead of it down on the floor. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• rsz_img00003-20100408-1936.jpg
    rsz_img00003-20100408-1936.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 0
when mine is completed for the second time i will post some pics... i have a full aluminum box that im making for it right now that the shifter sits on...