Manual or auto and why?

I honestly do not think that "fast" and "manual" go together in diesel applications. But maybe that is because I did not have the ideal clutch set up, and 4.10 gears probably dont help either

Auto. Built right and you'll never worry about them again. Manuals are good for towing and sled pulling, not racing. They don't shift anywhere near as quick or easy as a car and the heavy clutch can become a pain in traffic. Garmon builds good autos.

If you get a manual, you will regret it.

Unless you tow weekly, only have 300-400 HP and can use a light plate load clutch with smooth engaging friction materials.

Clutches built strong enough to handle 500-600 HP do not shift the same as a stock clutch. If you're unlucky and the shop botches the install, the clutch will drag a little even with the pedal depressed and it will be difficult to get into 1st or reverse.

For a daily driven diesel hot-rod, there is not comparison to a built automatic transmission.

I'm not biased because I currently own 2 auto tranny pickups, my original 99' Quad Cab Short Bed 4x4 went through (3) clutches and (2) transmissions with just 499 HP to the wheels.

Auto all the way unless your going to tow or pull!!! I had an auto a long time ago and had to sell. A few years ago I got a manual and thought this would be great. Not so much they are a pain in the azz to shift fast. With that said if your wanting to have fun by racing and what not then go with a built auto. I currently sold my manual to get a 3rd gen auto and I love it. Autos are sooo much easier to drive like said and rowing becomes a pain in the azz if clutching or not.

auto all the way, and i have had 6 or so sticks in my trucks. i fought it for the longest and i have a 98 12v 5 speed dually at the house right now. but have you every tried to row through the gears, drinkin a beer gettin a bj and texting on the phone at the same time??? auto is the winner.

Wow...that's hilarious. Sounds like auto is the way to go. I love manuals, I've had several sports cars with them, but I guess the concensus is for the auto. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Im around 450 and my manual is fun.....but when a built auto locks up in 3rd at 45mph its freaking sweet!!!

Auto FTW!!!

auto all the way, and i have had 6 or so sticks in my trucks. i fought it for the longest and i have a 98 12v 5 speed dually at the house right now. but have you every tried to row through the gears, drinkin a beer gettin a bj and texting on the phone at the same time??? auto is the winner.

Not in a truck but have in a car. Pain in the ass. That'd why I take my truck when extracurricular activities are going to be involved.

Auto = Consistency
Manual = Row row row your boat,,,

There is a reason why the big 3 is starting to drop manuals.

The main reason is that manuals are more reliable and cheaper. The auto trans is the most complicated item on a vehicle and mostly likely to break. The big three are now making vehicles that only shops with computers can fix anything or even worse only the dealerships can work on. Bend over and take it hard. The days of the backyard mechanic are only their last legs. Overdesigned plastic junk. How come in europe u only find manuals in cars, trucks and vans? Auto's are hard to find, people in north america have been convinced that manuals are too hard to drive. Now days people dont like to think when they drive. They have a computer to check the tires, check the oil, turn on the wipers if it rains. All this does is take away from the driving experience. well this might be a bit rantish oh well. lastly motorbikes and semi's arent autos and seem to get the job done.

Point taken, I agree with the purst idea of a manual, but on a truck, not sure. It may not be the most entertaining to hot rod around in for me right now. This will be a daily driver and I live in a suburban area. I do have to deal with traffic and think at this time an auto will serve my needs. If the clutches were as cumbersome as some have described, that would not be for me. Believe me though, this was a tough decision, I love manuals!

I love manuals too but not in these the dump truck I drive shifts better than these. Your making the best decision I think by going with an auto.

The main reason is that manuals are more reliable and cheaper. The auto trans is the most complicated item on a vehicle and mostly likely to break. The big three are now making vehicles that only shops with computers can fix anything or even worse only the dealerships can work on. Bend over and take it hard. The days of the backyard mechanic are only their last legs. Overdesigned plastic junk. How come in europe u only find manuals in cars, trucks and vans? Auto's are hard to find, people in north america have been convinced that manuals are too hard to drive. Now days people dont like to think when they drive. They have a computer to check the tires, check the oil, turn on the wipers if it rains. All this does is take away from the driving experience. well this might be a bit rantish oh well. lastly motorbikes and semi's arent autos and seem to get the job done.

:clap:

Point taken, I agree with the purst idea of a manual, but on a truck, not sure. It may not be the most entertaining to hot rod around in for me right now. This will be a daily driver and I live in a suburban area. I do have to deal with traffic and think at this time an auto will serve my needs. If the clutches were as cumbersome as some have described, that would not be for me. Believe me though, this was a tough decision, I love manuals!

The DD clutch I have in my 12v shifts like stock. It might be a hair slower, but hardly noticeable. If you are gonna be racing a lot, then I'd say go for the auto. I hate driving autos, especially if it happens to be another dodge. My parts truck is an auto. When I was driving it home, I kept reaching for the shifter and looking for the clutch when I was coming to a stop.

everytime i get in my dads truck i try to put his brake pedal to the floor, that never feels good.

ive owned 9 different vehicles, all manuals.....traffic or no traffic i choose the stick

ive said it once and ill say it again, you never know whats goin on inside an auto, when they work they must be great, when they dont get out our wallet

My choice with the given criteria would be a well built auto. No question about it.

If there was a fast throwing clutchless manual in the market I'd reconsider.

Auto, so you don't loose boost between shifts.

Auto because the heavy duty manual transmissions available for these trucks shift way way slower than a cheap Kia or any other sub par manual, let alone way way way slower than a sports car with a manual transmission.

The only manual transmission Dodge Cummins I've driven with acceptable shift quality was a newer common rail with the G-56 Mercedes transmission. They shift quicker but seem to be a little bit weaker than the old NV4500's and NV5600's.

The only scenario besides towing that I preferred my older truck with a manual transmission is pulling hills on the highway running empty. On the manual, just whack the throttle and pass everyone. With the stock auto in my under powered 98', whack the throttle and it unlocks the torque converter, falls on it's face a little because the torque converter is so sloppy, and actually slow down some times. All that my stock auto would need to outperform the manual is a lock-up switch. $15 in parts and an hour of your time to install. I'm currently gathering parts to build it up with a tighter torque converter etc.

I'm actually getting better fuel economy with my automatic as well. Here in Nevada, once you get 10 minutes outside of Vegas, the speed limit is 75 mph and cruising at 80 mph is more pleasant with lower RPM with the 0.69 overdrive in the auto vs. the 0.74 overdrive in the manual transmission.

The fun factor of driving an auto vs a manual really up to the driver's preference, but if you wanna go fast, built automatic is the only real option.

Last edited:
I'm definitely getting a lockup switch. I'm having a truck built up by turbomatt. he's a great guy to work with. He also has a relationship with Garmon, so I know I'm getting the best auto for the money. Do they make lockup switches for newer (2009) gmc gassers?