Manual vb in a 47re

smokin6bt

So I'm looking for advice from anyone running a 47re with full manual vb. trucks gonna be on the street 90% sled pull 10%. I just don't wanna spend $ on something I'm not gonna like.

Pretty much will be the same as driving a manual with no clutch. Lockup and od on a switch.

from phone

What's a good shifter for street driving? And y not bother with the full manual vb?

could use the bandit style from B&M 3 spd then put in switches for OD and LOCK seperatly of course ... and do a TPS delete and keep your VB and save $$$$

I like my B&M pro ratchet.

I've been daily driving my truck with a manual VB for two years and it's never really been an inconvenience. It's nice sometimes to start in second gear and just putter along like an old man.

If its an auto truck already then I wouldn't bother with the full manual vb

huh???

Also, I prefer gate shifters for street, and I really like my cheetah.

And you need to retain the TPS if you want cruise. For LU/OD, I put switches in the door at the end of the arm rest, so I can engage them with minimal effort.

Why would you remove the abilitly for the trans to shift on its own, when it sees so much street time?

If you want to put a shifter in and shift it on your own sometimes then you can do that with a factory vb. There should be no issue with that. I can see putting it in a truck with an auto swap, or a conversion(ive built FM vbs for both), but not in a factory auto truck that sees 90% street time. JMO

Why would you remove the abilitly for the trans to shift on its own, when it sees so much street time?

If you want to put a shifter in and shift it on your own sometimes then you can do that with a factory vb. There should be no issue with that. I can see putting it in a truck with an auto swap, or a conversion(ive built FM vbs for both), but not in a factory auto truck that sees 90% street time. JMO

Because its fun as hell, you have greater control over spooling a turbo, towing is also better. MOST people hate not being in control of their transmission, so this is a perfect compromise between a manual transmission and an automatic.

OP what are the long term goals for this truck?

Because its fun as hell, you have greater control over spooling a turbo, towing is also 1.434 billion times better. MOST people hate not being in control of their transmission, so this is a perfect compromise between a manual transmission and an automatic.

OP what are the long term goals for this truck?

Exactly.

A manual vb makes every single aspect of driving 10x better.

Exactly.

A manual vb makes every single aspect of driving 10x better.

bif
You can manually shift a normal vb if you want. I have built and drove full manual valve bodies, i know the positives and negatives of them. For someone that drives on the street 90% of the time I dont see why you would want to shift every time when the pcm can do it for you. Also, you cant let just anyone jump in and drive it(possibly a good thing i guess). I must be getting old or something but a full manual vb isnt my first choice for a DD:lolly:

I daily drove my truck with a 468 on it and never had an issue with letting the trans do what i built if for 99% of the time. if i needed to get on top of the charger at slower speeds then id just pull it down manually, but that rarely happened. I'm not saying it wouldnt be fun on the street with a FM vb, but i know i would get tired of it after a short period of time. At least with a normal vb and a ratched/gate shifter you could put it in 3rd(D) and let it do its own thing when you didnt want to bother with it.

Last edited:
I used to drive an automatic car like a stick. I simply put it in low 1 and then decided when I wanted to go into 2nd gear. One time I put it in low 1 and went up to 40 mph. Then going up a hill the tailgater (for several miles) got a surprise when I slowed down for the 25 mph sign with no brake lights. I just let off the gas and the uphill helped me slow down also. The tailgating stopped after that.

I am just saying that you always have control over your automatic if you use the stick on the column. The only issue I see with my truck is the pcm will not allow 1st gear to engage until I am going 15mph. Any faster it stays in 2nd gear.

When I want to shift and be in control I use the shifter. When I do not care to shift the truck does it by itself. I see zero advantage in having a manual valve body.

I used to drive an automatic car like a stick. I simply put it in low 1 and then decided when I wanted to go into 2nd gear. One time I put it in low 1 and went up to 40 mph. Then going up a hill the tailgater (for several miles) got a surprise when I slowed down for the 25 mph sign with no brake lights. I just let off the gas and the uphill helped me slow down also. The tailgating stopped after that.

I am just saying that you always have control over your automatic if you use the stick on the column. The only issue I see with my truck is the pcm will not allow 1st gear to engage until I am going 15mph. Any faster it stays in 2nd gear.

When I want to shift and be in control I use the shifter. When I do not care to shift the truck does it by itself. I see zero advantage in having a manual valve body.

Not lockup though which is a very important one.

from phone

I have a full manual vb with a TCI shifter and love it!! I wouldnt have it any other way! My buddy had a full built suncoast in his and after driving mine pulled his regular vb out the next day for a manual one haha

I haven't figured out the full manual fascination either.

Is the 2nd and 3rd gear starts that big of a deal? A well built auto VB will hold about anything a street truck can throw at it.

If you really want 2nd and 3rd gear starts there are other ways to get it than just a full manual....

I haven't figured out the full manual fascination either.

Is the 2nd and 3rd gear starts that big of a deal? A well built auto VB will hold about anything a street truck can throw at it.

If you really want 2nd and 3rd gear starts there are other ways to get it than just a full manual....

Starting out in second gear isn't why I love mine, it's cool but that's not the best feature. I'd say where it performs the best is while towing. Controlling the downshifts and lockup to slow you down is really neat. Obviously It does what YOU want exactly when YOU tell it. That's what a lot of people want out of their auto.