Manual vb in a 47re

Starting out in second gear isn't why I love mine, it's cool but that's not the best feature. I'd say where it performs the best is while towing. Controlling the downshifts and lockup to slow you down is really neat. Obviously It does what YOU want exactly when YOU tell it. That's what a lot of people want out of their auto.

What do u want that an auto that is rowed manually won't do?

Why would you want to start out in second when it's just a bump of the shifter away? That's gotta be harder on the trans anyhow right?

actually its harder on the converter if anything .. build more heat trying to rotate the input turbine through the stator that directs the fluid to the pump and then back through stator to the turbine which propels your input shaft .... but starting of in second your causing more heat build up and thats what you need a stronger torque converter and a good cooler as well ... the fluid exiting the transmission is the fluid from the converter goes through cooler and back to pan where its sucked back up by the pump and recirculated back into converter ........ does that help draw a better picture of why you need better parts and why stock wont due under these high HP settings ? if not PM me and I can direct you to more info

Why would you want to start out in second when it's just a bump of the shifter away? That's gotta be harder on the trans anyhow right?

Not much harder than flooring the truck unlocked then locking the converter at cruising speed. I start out in second gear for rain and snow. And on occasion I'll forget to shift first.

A regular auto won't lock in manual second unless it's built for it.

Yes, however u don't need a full manual vb to have lockup in any gear. And 48re vb is able to lock up in 2nd from the factory IIRC. So far I haven't seen a good reason yet to put a full manual vb in a street truck. You want 2nd or 3rd gear starts? Put the gov pressure solenoid in series with a toggle switch. Open the circuit and u have 2nd or 3rd gear starts.

The only thing i miss about a regular vb is crusing around town or above 40 under 50 mph in od unlocked. The way mine and most others is setup is that it wont go into od unless its manually locked then i can engage od with my cheetah shifter switch.

I did the auto conversion on my pickup. Got a 97 auto PCM as well, changed wire complete engine and trans wire harnesses, steering column, pedals, everything. Just so I didnt have to sit and shift every gear. I think this whole subject is directly a matter of personal preference. You can still get a standard VB to do everything a manual one will do.

Wow I should have checked here sooner, long term goals for the truck is a sled puller. Currently it's my dd/fun truck. I want the manual vb to control shifting and lockup more efficiently than the stock vb will allow. The only reason I'm not going manual swap is because my wife drives the truck and doesn't want to drive a manual truck. As far as what shifter to go with, I want one that allows free shifting threw the forward gears but has a lockout for reverse so I don't push it up to far and blow the trans. My dads 66 Chev had a turbo 400 and no reverse lockout and he accidentally shifted into reverse at 45. Bye bye tranny.

Yes, however u don't need a full manual vb to have lockup in any gear. And 48re vb is able to lock up in 2nd from the factory IIRC. So far I haven't seen a good reason yet to put a full manual vb in a street truck. You want 2nd or 3rd gear starts? Put the gov pressure solenoid in series with a toggle switch. Open the circuit and u have 2nd or 3rd gear starts.

I didnt say thats the entire reason I wanted a manual VB. Not every one has a 48re VB at their disposal either, I guess the only thing I can answer for you, is its just for the pure fun of it.

I bang mine though the gears usually .... know the feeling ..... was thinking about manual VB but my wife dosent know when to shift and I dont feel like teaching her everything to concider before shifting ..... but just for me it would be great ... LOL

Could you go into more detail on how to get a 2nd/3rd gear start set up? Thanks

Im looking at a full manual VB also. Wanted a reverse pattern. Anyone run a constant pressure VB in a 47RE? I think suncoast are the only ones that can do the reverse pattern. If my VB is a old ATS(before buy-out) unit, would I be better off getting it modified or selling and sending in a core... Just looking for some advice.

Well, I was banned for not auto capitolizing ... SOOO , I'm going elsewhere so the spelling and grammer NAZZIE can find me ... peace out

Well, I was banned for not auto capitolizing ... SOOO , I'm going elsewhere so the spelling and grammer NAZZIE can find me ... peace out

Posting in several threads the same exact thing is an even faster way to piss us off/ get banned.

Get lost punk

Ok, so back on topic. I think I'm definitely going with the ratchet shifter cause I'm likening that style more than the gate shifter since it keeps the shifter in one place and close and easy to shift. I also think I'm really leaning towards the reverse pattern to put first next to reverse for better maneuverability. So Ive been searching a lot lately and can't get a straight answer on the TV. Some say pin open, 1/8" from open, hook it up, constant pressure, etc etc. Can't figure out still what to do with that.