Marine Mahle pistons in a daily driver/dyno queen. Whos got em?

oldsmokey97

Just wantin to know who all out there is running the marine 155* mahle or cummins pistons on a daily driver.
I am in the process of rebuilding my engine and doing a LOT of different things to it.
I pretty much have my mind set on marine mahle pistons. Just looking for a little feedback from people that are runnning this setup or have in the past and how yall like them.

Thanx in advance.

Lance

I've got the Mahle 155's in my work truck. I cut the outside of the bowl out a little and changed the dish a bit, final compression ratio is 14.7-1.
I'm running 370 injectors now and there is very little to no haze at cold idle, start up is fine even without grid heaters with the timing at 18*
With bigger injectors (i was running Scheid's 5x.18's) and more timing (28*) it would require a whiff of ether (not much) if it got below 40*F.
With a S468-74 single it is very driveable with the 370's and conservative tuneup, made 570HP 1130ft lbs.
Same turbo with big injectors and very agressive tuneup made 778hp 1386ft lbs.
All done with a good street/perf cam, moderate head porting.
So far i've been very happy.

callin out fulmer.
I know you are a pioneer in this addiction that we call diesel performance.
I know you have had to run some marines in a couple engines. How ya like em

Lance

Lance your funny, don't you know I'm just a everyday Sailor!

I can't seem to remember what brand pistons are in my 98' as Piers built that short block but I do know they are an industrial type and they look just like 155 Mahle's. Now the motor I put together for the 01' 12V has Mahle P/N 286050-020 but they do not have teflon skirts nor are they decked, the idea was to keep the compression up as it's not going to be a high HP motor.....600 ish.

Jim

DSC00661.JPG

DSC00663.JPG

DSC00662.JPG

DSC00659.JPG

With a S468-74 single it is very driveable with the 370's and conservative tuneup, made 570HP 1130ft lbs.
Same turbo with big injectors and very agressive tuneup made 778hp 1386ft lbs.
All done with a good street/perf cam, moderate head porting.
So far i've been very happy.

What do you mean by agressive tuneup? What exactly do you do different between mild and agressive "tuneup" ?

thanks

y
Lance your funny, don't you know I'm just a everyday Sailor!

I can't seem to remember what brand pistons are in my 98' as Piers built that short block but I do know they are an industrial type and they look just like 155 Mahle's. Now the motor I put together for the 01' 12V has Mahle P/N 286050-020 but they do not have teflon skirts nor are they decked, the idea was to keep the compression up as it's not going to be a high HP motor.....600 ish.

Jim

View attachment 16182

View attachment 16184

View attachment 16183

View attachment 16181

Everyday sailor from Oklahoma.................Never did figure that one out? LOL

What do you mean by agressive tuneup? What exactly do you do different between mild and agressive "tuneup" ?

thanks

Injection timing, Pump setup ( gov, AFC, plate, DV's etc.) Wastegate setting, valve lash, etc etc...
I built this engine to be "streetable" <- my view of what may or may not be streetable may be a bit warped.
I also wanted it to be able to squeak out a hair north of 1k on funny gas.

sounds like supersonic has a serious work truck.
No kiddin. lol WTF

sounds more like supersonic has too much money. lol

Lance

I have a habit if getting bored and "tinkering"
If I had more money, i'd have more parts, right now I have neither.:bang

Both of my street/strip toys have cummins marine pistons. One set is milled 100 thousandths. Definitely the way to go.

Both of my street/strip toys have cummins marine pistons. One set is milled 100 thousandths. Definitely the way to go.

.100" off of marine pistons??? what is the compression here? 13:1?????

Seems like a LLLLOOTTT off of a set of marines.

Anyways... i gues ya like em alot.??

Lance

I have the marines as well...I like them when the rpms are higher...but startup and idle sucks! Lots of haze and hard to keep running! I can see and smell the haze when stopped at a light and the wind blows it back towards the cab. If I did it again I would go with a higher compression piston for sure! I drive on the street a lot more than I first thought I would.

:pop::pop::pop::pop::pop:
this is a stupid ? but are u talking about steel pistons or aluminum pistons

Yep .100" They don't like cool mornings but it doesn't take long to warn up. I figured I would raise eyebrows with my post. Oh, i forgot to mention that I'm from GA, and i was schooled at THAT shop in Griffin.

what are the average compression ratios with the marine pistons considering nothing has been machined like head or block?

Lance

Weston, what do you like on the 286210 better? Thinking about the 98's motor right now!

Jim

Here's pics and numbers of .040 over Mahle Version of the 370 Marine Piston

Last edited:
Bringing this post back to life. Wheres the best place and good prices to order mahle pistons. Thank you.