Merced County Fair, Merced CA June 15th

so if johnny (smokin max) is using a 2.8, he could run street? and if thats the case, then all these kids/adults with a small upgraded turbo(a 62) on there daily driver trucks have to compete with those trucks? it seems that there needs to be a different class. in merced, according to the tech there was 3 classes.stock, street and extreme or whatever names they actually used. the tech said if there is any turbo upgrade u r automatically in street. the people that were running the show were PTPA if i am not mistaking. where can one find the actual details on every class for that association? or do they use someone elses set of rules? as of right now this seems to be a bit confusing on whose rules u go by. there is 3 different associations around here. correct? vtpa, ptpa and mlm.

It has been MLM in years past and those people that are avd pullers knew the rules already. The point is not to bring the rules down and bring in new rules to cut certain competition out just because they outperformed everyone by a large margin, but rather to get the best out of each competitors setup and to raise the bar so everyone competes and steps up their game.

BTW Justin has no where near the setup that Johnny does. MLM does a great job and has been a leader in working with the diesel classes to get better rules in place. If they have questions in classes on what s legal or not legal they have many sources to call. (Including a few guys that have already posted in here). They do a great job. And please take Justin up on his offer of looking his truck over because I think you will see he is more than complaint and able to run in the "street" class.

Last edited:
If that is how you feel about the tech guy then I would suggest that you stay home! My tech guy happens to be the shop manager at a large truck repair shop. He knows what he is looking at. Are we going to waste the time at the scale to take your intakes apart and measure turbos? NO. Aside from the 5 trucks in your class, we had 49 other trucks and tractors to weigh in and get staged. I guess it is our own fault for being used to dealing with professionals, but we tend to believe a guy when he tells us what he has.

I do not know you, nor do I need to. I will tell you that we have been doing this a lot longer than you have know pulling existed and we will still be doing it long after you are gone!

You guys did a great job. Every truck was in the class it was suppose to be in. So the tech guy did his job just fine. Thanks for the fun event.

Obviously the complainers have not been around the scenes that long.

so if johnny (smokin max) is using a 2.8, he could run street? and if thats the case, then all these kids/adults with a small upgraded turbo(a 62) on there daily driver trucks have to compete with those trucks? it seems that there needs to be a different class. in merced, according to the tech there was 3 classes.stock, street and extreme or whatever names they actually used. the tech said if there is any turbo upgrade u r automatically in street. the people that were running the show were PTPA if i am not mistaking. where can one find the actual details on every class for that association? or do they use someone elses set of rules? as of right now this seems to be a bit confusing on whose rules u go by. there is 3 different associations around here. correct? vtpa, ptpa and mlm.

MLM and PTPA are using the rules linked above. I have been told that VTPA is also going to use them. We have been through this just about every year for the past eight years. I am sure it makes sense to you to have a large number of different classes. It will not work. You would end up with only a couple of trucks in each class. There is not enough trucks showing up regularly to justify any more classes than we have.

Merced was run by PTPA and MLM.

Oh thats right Justin took the video on his phone, can you see if he will post it. Thanks

I couldn’t agree with Brian more these rules have been developed after years of watching what kind of turn out we get at a majority of the events, not just your one local fair. It’s too hard to set up rules for different locations and continually change them. These rules are also fairly close or heading in the direction of other nationally recognized organizations, again so somebody doesn’t have to reconfigure their whole truck to attend a national event. MLM has worked with the diesel crowd for years and trust me they know what there looking at. MLM has been our (diesel truck pullers) main proponent for getting us in the door with other organizations and supporting the rules.

Please be sure you know what your talking about before getting on the internet and bashing the organizations, it’s staff, and fellow pullers, with the possibility of ruining the great relationship that a few of us who pull regularly have established with these great folks. Keep in mind with our low turn outs we are small fish and should be thankful we get to hook period.

BBD

Very well said scott, and Alex. And yes it was put on by MLM the only people who seem to care about diesels and have very good seperation between the classes. They have 4 classes, modified, like BBD. Superstreet, twins and unlimited single. Street, hanging weights and 2.8 turbo. Stock, no hanging weights and stock appearing turbo.
And Izzy, yes Johnny can also put in a bushing and he will be able to pull street as well.
Hoytcustoms, how is Just in a sandbagger when I watched him put in his bushing to be 100% 2.8 legal? I know he would not cheat just to get a trophy.
Plus the tech new what he was looking at, he goes off what you tell him to save time and cause there is no serious competition or payout, if that was the case then they would take some time to check the inducer.

so if johnny (smokin max) is using a 2.8, he could run street? and if thats the case, then all these kids/adults with a small upgraded turbo(a 62) on there daily driver trucks have to compete with those trucks? it seems that there needs to be a different class .

The tech guy has no clue what he is looking at. All he looked at was if the battery was tight. He never mesured any turbo, he goes off what you tell him. That dura is a sandbagger.

ohio-state-crying-man.jpg

Thanks for the video. Yes it worked out nicely! Truck is really starting to come around now.

no crying here bud. obviously my comment was wrote because of the huge gap in the way the 1st place dura trucks set up was compared to the rest of that class. and i will admit i wrote going off vtpa's rules because thats all i knew at the time. i obviously was wrong. white dura, good run and u will be a hard beat in that class if ur truck continues to run like it did in merced. BBD and MLM, appreciate ur help.

BBD and MLM, appreciate ur help.

No problem, just be sure you know who is the promoter at the pull your going to and know their rules and it will work out. I hope VTPA does adopt the MLM and PTPA rules as they have not changed there diesel rules in several years, it would be a good thing for sure.

BBD