MiniWheat - 2014 Ram 1500 Cummins Pro Street Build.

Cool, I didn't realize Fleece was doing the chassis for you. They have some great fabricators there!!!

We will probably be doing my cage at RPM Offroad as they are familiar with the requirements for SCORE and BITD desert racing which is much more strict than NHRA as far as tubing sizes and placement... They have good fabricators and the equipment to do everything we need too. I hope to do the cage after we do the short bed conversion.

Might have then double check the BITD rules more often. There car didn't pass tech at Parker 250 cause it had 0.065 main tubes and not .095 1.5 like it stated. Lol. They had rebuild whole 4 seater RZR chassis

Bummer, We'll be sure mine is built to spec, 2-inch .120 wall for the main cage if I remember correctly. They require the big stuff for the heavy vehicles!!!

Over 2k weight requires 1 3/4 .120 wall.

I don't think it is that large for that light of a vehicle... This is taken from the 2015 Car/Truck BITD Rulebook:

VEHICLE SAFETY EQUIPMENT
SCR34: ROLLCAGES
Best In The Desert Racing Association believes that it is each competitor’s responsibility to present a safe vehicle for pre-race tech inspection. You must maintain your safety equipment including the roll cage integrity. No changes to the recommended minimum construction specification with respect to diameter or wall thickness are anticipated at this time. As in the past,
Best In The Desert Racing Association reserves the right to not allow any safety cage design that, in the view of the tech inspector, is not fit for competition. You, as the competitor, are ultimately responsible for your own vehicle’s safety features with respect to the design, quality of execution,
maintenance and repair of the roll cage structure.

All vehicles in competition are recommended to be equipped with a rollcage based on seamless mild steel/4130 chrome molly steel tubing. Minimum design and tubing size for rollcage structure is in accordance with Table 2.

Table 2. Minimum Tubing Dimension
Vehicle Weight
Under 2000 lbs. 1.5" x 0.95"
2001 to 2500 lbs. 1.5" x .120"
2501 to 3000 lbs. 1.75" x .095"
3001 to 4000 lbs 1.75" x .120"
4001 pounds and over 2.0” x .120”

Note: See manufacturer’s’ reference charts for alloy steel tubing equivalent strengths. No aluminum or other non-ferrous materials are permitted.

MATERIAL
Rollcage construction material may be crew, dom, whr, wcr mild carbon steel or 4130 chromoly. 4130 chromoly is highly recommended for all rollcage construction. Stress relieve all welded intersections by flame annealing. All welds must be of high quality and craftsmanship with good
penetration and with no undercutting of parent material. Oxy-acetylene brazing on rollcage is strictly forbidden.

According to the rulebook you don't have to go to 1.75-inch .120 wall tubing until you are over 3001 pounds, then over 4000 pounds needs to step up to the 2-inch .120 wall tubing as I stated.

I was referring to side by sides..... All I know is trophy trucks r awesome out there

I was referring to side by sides..... All I know is trophy trucks r awesome out there

I wonder why a 2001 pound UTV would need the same size tubing as a 3001 pound car or truck???? That's weird!

Sorry for the cage derail Ryan!!!

Back to the awesomeness of MiniWheat!!!!

Over 2k weight requires 1 3/4 .120 wall.

Looks like something has changed or you were misinformed. Here is a quote from the 2015 BITD UTV Rule Book:

UTV 26 ROLLCAGE TUBING SIZE:
Minimum Tubing Dimension;
UTV weight under 2000lbs OD 1.5” x ID .095”
UTV weight 2001 lbs to 2500 lbs OD 1.5” x ID .120”
UTV weight 2501 lbs to 3000 lbs OD 1.75” x ID .95”

For the purpose of determining tubing size, the UTV weight is a “dry” weight. Dry weight is race UTV without fuel, spare tires, tools and drivers. No aluminum or nonferrous materials are allowed to be used in the construction of the roll cage. Minimum tubing material dimension requirements for roll cages apply to this list of required tubes; front vertical hoop, rear vertical hoop, upper door bars, door bracing, top interconnecting bars, rear down braces, diagonal bracing behind drivers head, lower rear interconnecting bar.

It doesn't even include a weight combination that would be required to use 1.75-inch .120 wall tubing. But they have a typo for the 1.75" x .95" tubing for the 2501 to 3000 pound weight group! .95-inch wall tubing would be some HEAVY stuff!!!! The size dimensions are the same as for the car and truck classes by the way.

And, YES Trophy Trucks ARE AWESOME!!!! My truck won't be a TT, but will hopefully be a fun and capable Duramax powered Desert Race truck!!!

I wish someone would delete all the desert racing B.S. out of this thread! You are fookin up a good thread and this is the DRAG RACING side of the forum!!!!!

I wish someone would delete all the desert racing B.S. out of this thread! You are fookin up a good thread and this is the DRAG RACING side of the forum!!!!!

Sorry but roll cages r roll cages and its safety either way. Cant wait c ur truck finished Ryan

Your right... We shouldn't have continued on... Maybe Tim can move them to their own thread under safety or something like that...

Sorry but roll cages r roll cages and its safety either way. Cant wait c ur truck finished Ryan

I agree and was very blunt with my post. When they started talking about UTV weight and roll cages for them my head started to hurt.:doh: There is some good info from the two. I would also like to see the said duramax in possibly a build thread? Either way it has gone off topic in a great thread.

Last edited:
719afa15c15d8486bc9b036406525bc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

719afa15c15d8486bc9b036406525bc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good Ryan! When do you think you will be able to hit the track with it? What event do you hope to make the MiniWheat debut at? Hopefully one out this way so we can get it on camera!!!

Looking good Ryan! When do you think you will be able to hit the track with it? What event do you hope to make the MiniWheat debut at? Hopefully one out this way so we can get it on camera!!!

I'd LIKE to have it on the dyno end of next month, on a test & tune early March somewhere local... first event... that's TBD, Rudys hopefully?

I've been slacking on this thread... things are coming together, I should have truck in my possession end of this week!

a489a5c51d0d0f103e470826f81770fd.jpg

5e3d535fc2edea34996c09e4cb479d61.jpg

72410491c81a464378659377cc5b732d.jpg

2dd572dd7bd1da1596c89a0b23057174.jpg

c0bcd49df37548f9524fd195798c29a5.jpg

91cf9b88b2fc8ac9c15952e8f3ec0ddd.jpg

Last edited:
Back