Motor Build time 5.9 or 6.7

Damn a little late into this thread but i can't way to see this monster run! Badass looking truck by the way.

Im about 2.5 hrs from his shop, i always meet him in jackson, like ive said. Im just bummed. Ive probably spent 20-30k with him on customer stuff thr past year or two. All cash, he did my head and another customer block in jan. these damn rods of his have him gone bonkers. If i dont get anywhere in a week, im driving down there and making something happen.

I've spent a ton with him too, doesn't matter to him. The best time to catch him is before noon the earlier the better .

So what are these rods? Why not just get Carrillo or R&R? Somebody made mention that all these big diesel places were using these rods but no info or pics. All the big shops I know of use the 2 I mentioned

So what are these rods? Why not just get Carrillo or R&R? Somebody made mention that all these big diesel places were using these rods but no info or pics. All the big shops I know of use the 2 I mentioned

20140316_190109_zpstk9rge79.jpg

Think that's what they look like.

That does not look billet. It looks like Forged Mill machining to me.

Pretty positive they are 100% billet. They do look sexy!!
But if i had my parts, i would throw a set of carrillos in!!

Pretty positive they are 100% billet. They do look sexy!!
But if i had my parts, i would throw a set of carrillos in!!

If they are 100% billet then they are of a lesser quality material as the others then. Forged rods are better do to being able to get a more consistent material. Carrillo and R&R are both forged

Last edited:
If they are 100% billet then they are of a lesser quality material as the others then. Forged rods are better do to being able to get a more consistent material. Carrillo and R&R are both forged

Bingo.
Although these look forged milled, I'd rather have a forged milled rod than a stock shot peened rod or full billet rod.

FWIW, he claims to use some bad ass material that is way better than 4340 commonly used.

I should have been paying more attention, but he was 100mph from one end of the shop to the other and back, talking over his shoulder. I think he said "stamp plate" or something to that effect.

And if it is of any value, I'm about 10 miles from Ken Veney. He told me that in his mod engines billet cranks are the only thing that will hold up. He agreed that on paper, a forging of the same material should hold up better than the billet. It doesn't. I've know him for a long time, and he's not just an acquaintance to me. Different part in a different application, point is that "on paper" is wrong in that case.

Last edited:
FWIW, he claims to use some bad ass material that is way better than 4340 commonly used.

I should have been paying more attention, but he was 100mph from one end of the shop to the other and back, talking over his shoulder. I think he said "stamp plate" or something to that effect.

And if it is of any value, I'm about 10 miles from Ken Veney. He told me that in his mod engines billet cranks are the only thing that will hold up. He agreed that on paper, a forging of the same material should hold up better than the billet. It doesn't. I've know him for a long time, and he's not just an acquaintance to me. Different part in a different application, point is that "on paper" is wrong in that case.

My queston to this would be, has he tried forged milled, or just forged ? I would be curious. I've heard milling forged adds quite a bit of strength. But how much ? I always thought billet was the answer, I mean its so shiney.

My queston to this would be, has he tried forged milled, or just forged ? I would be curious. I've heard milling forged adds quite a bit of strength. But how much ? I always thought billet was the answer, I mean its so shiney.

Can't say that I know, but knowing Ken, and his pretty extensive resources, I would be willing to bet that he tried anything that he thought would be better than a billet, that he didn't think would hold up in the first place.

Can't say that I know, but knowing Ken, and his pretty extensive resources, I would be willing to bet that he tried anything that he thought would be better than a billet, that he didn't think would hold up in the first place.

Makes sense, wish I had the resources to test them out. Or even had a motor that made enough power to even worry about the stock 12v rods breaking. :hehe:

Well, aftet 5 1/2 months i picked up my motor minus it completed nor his rods, he decided not to finish it at the last minute, said i talked bad about his customer service online to much. So i picked my rusty motor up monday night. They never thought to put $.20 of wd 40 on it back in dec when he machined it. Its was pretty ugly inside and out. So, i ordered Carrillos and i should have it together by end of next weekend.
Pretty disgusted to say the least.

Well, aftet 5 1/2 months i picked up my motor minus it completed nor his rods, he decided not to finish it at the last minute, said i talked bad about his customer service online to much. So i picked my rusty motor up monday night. They never thought to put $.20 of wd 40 on it back in dec when he machined it. Its was pretty ugly inside and out.
Maybe instead of screwing , lying ,stealing,and being an arogant jackass when confronted about it Mike J. You should read the reviews on line and change your ways. Or very soon you will be out of business, or worse when you screw the wrong guy.It would have been better if the bank had auctioned all your stuff off when you quit paying them while they had the chance that would have saved a lot of people money and headache

dnrcustoms,

Sorry to hear about your luck. I don't know the mike fella, but from your end, sounds like you bent over and spelled RUN.

Thanks for the sand drag vid. Maybe we'll see ya out there some where this year.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Been watching your build on FB, looking forward to seeing it run this year! Keep up the good work!