MPH vs. HP

Mine will not lock in first but will soon as it hits second. I have noticed that if I try to lock it to early in first it will bog truck down. I don' t think it is spinning on takeoff just seems slow.

I also forgot to add my 1st/8 mile times earlier. There usually 7.66ish @ 96-98 mph.

Last edited:
Our comp 47 can handle the lock up in first. I think lockin up in first is easier on the trans. Due to the extra gearing you have in first. You don't have the big load on the motor and tranny as you do in the higher gears.

96-98 mph is Good power at your weight... I'd say you're making low / mid 8's

My 1/8's were 97+... 11.20's..... So I'm not sure why your 60's are like that..

Is the shift defuel set to stock in the Smarty? It looked like it in the video. What rpm are you hitting on the 1-2 shift?

Paul

With PCS you can lock in first, or whenever you want lol

On the 48re, that may be true (lock-up in first with a PCS controller). On the 47rh, 47re, transmissions, you can electrify the lock-up solenoid whenever you want via a lock-up switch, PCS controller, ATS Lock-UP controller etc but it won't lock till 2nd. The stock hydraulic passages in the 47re/rh transmissions do not feed the lock-up hydraulic passages until 2nd gear. I've been told it's possible to make alterations to the valvebody of a 47re/rh that will allow it to lock in first, however, it requires some drilling, grinding, and epoxy/tig aluminum welding work, and it can't really be explained well "over the phone".

On the 48re, that may be true (lock-up in first with a PCS controller). On the 47rh, 47re, transmissions, you can electrify the lock-up solenoid whenever you want via a lock-up switch, PCS controller, ATS Lock-UP controller etc but it won't lock till 2nd. The stock hydraulic passages in the 47re/rh transmissions do not feed the lock-up hydraulic passages until 2nd gear. I've been told it's possible to make alterations to the valvebody of a 47re/rh that will allow it to lock in first, however, it requires some drilling, grinding, and epoxy/tig aluminum welding work, and it can't really be explained well "over the phone".

This is how dave explained it to me! i set my lockup switch before staging to avoid that extra step while moving.

With the PCS and our valve body you can lock up in first. The PCS allows the user to have full controll over the tranny.

looks like i'll be trying the lock in first gear thing as soon as this is fixed:

915d8b98.jpg

You were making some good passes in that thing too! what shaft are you gonna go to now?

converting it over to OM3GA input setup, didn't have all the parts to put it together tonight, got to make some stuff tomorrow

So to automate lockup in 1st with a manual vb, some sort of pressure related switch off the speed govener port (my terminalogy is mostliky wrong).

w/ a manual VB, you'll just have a toggle switch to control lockup and overdrive...if i'm not mistaken.

young guns, mine locks in right after 2nd enguages.

yoda, yep, but i flip the lockup switch prestage and with the 2nd gear requirment for lockup thats automatic-ish. if i have the ability to lock in first, id like to use some sort pressure switch to activate it at 10mph or something.