mustang vs. dynojet?

Hmmmm!

I must be missing something here. An inertia dyno will spool twins and a load dyno won't? Must have been a different operator on Mark's dyno the two days I was there with my S300 & S480 twins because I recall them spooling.

I must be missing something here. An inertia dyno will spool twins and a load dyno won't? Must have been a different operator on Mark's dyno the two days I was there with my S300 & S480 twins because I recall them spooling.

good lord I swear my rear bumper hit the floor "quote":hehe:

That was my attempt at a little humor bro.

It might be noted that the following have Mustang Dyno's (unless I've been misinformed).

Banks
Schied
TST
ATS
EDGE

and I'm sure other notables,.. only to say there may be a few folks out there that actually know how to use the Mustang dyno in contrast to some others statements in this thread.

It's much like getting good info from a computer,.. junk in and junk out. If they plug in the wrong parameter then they'll probably get an incorrect answer.

Being from Missouri I only believe what I see and I've been on both and I'd have to see your Dynojet sitting on TST's lot and see a truck run on both that the numbers come up comparable. If I had more $$$ I'd bet a serious pot load that it won't. Just my opinion based on what I've seen personally.

As far accuracy,... I think the names I inputted above indicate that people that are into serious quality made a choice for some reason to go with Mustang. This isn't to say the DJ isn't a good product,.. it says it's different and generally speaking the numbers run lower. All things being relative then it is still a worth while venture for people to check their status of power and increases resulting from new mods etc. As someone said above,.. the real test is the 1/4 mile. Everything else is just posturing.

I think a better explanation is that for product development, a machine that will load allows many more options. Being able to test at full throttle and holding 60 mph while checking for EGT's, boost, water temps etc. are where these units shine. For mobile purposes, a DJ is much easier.

That makes good sense.

I think a better explanation is that for product development, a machine that will load allows many more options. Being able to test at full throttle and holding 60 mph while checking for EGT's, boost, water temps etc. are where these units shine. For mobile purposes, a DJ is much easier.

By the way,.. I applaud what you and Floor It John do with respect to offering a full performance opportunity to members at these events. Tks.

Try a side by side evaluation using the HP Calculators for speed and E.T. against your dyno graphs. As it has been said the 1/4 mi doesn't lie. My experience is that Dundar's DJ is very accurate.

That is a good explanation. If you just want a big # to brag about then use a DJ but if you actually want to tune the truck then you need to be able to hold the truck at a specific RPM or MPH and get more that 2 seconds of data. You would be amazed at what you will learn by getting on a Super Flow or new Mustang dyno that can actually hold the truck.

dave, how about a MD 1100 single drum? I cannot touch a 248 unless I cross the line. So I have no comparison.

You dont' have any DJ 248's in BC?? That suprises me, you would think that a few shops in Vancouver would have them. There are plenty over here in AB, if you ever make it this way

Totally agree there! The dyno operator couldn't find the best settings for the truck on the dyno. That's why I lean towards a DJ. No settings, no guessing weight, etc. Just a repeatable number to tune off of.

What this is like,...

Is an open forum question like who builds the best Tranny,.. DTT, Suncoast, HTT, ATS, etc etc etc. Just depends on what the user spent his $$$ on really and if it holds up then it's the best.

We'll do a long neck or two at a meet some time.

That is a good explanation. If you just want a big # to brag about then use a DJ but if you actually want to tune the truck then you need to be able to hold the truck at a specific RPM or MPH and get more that 2 seconds of data. You would be amazed at what you will learn by getting on a Super Flow or new Mustang dyno that can actually hold the truck.

In sled pulling, that static load on a dyno may be great for tuning, but also in sled pulling, you have a whole day to sit at the line and spool the thing before you subject it to that static load:bang

BUT!!!!!!!!!!! That same load on a dyno can mask horrible tuning in a drag racing situation!!!! :bang Just because a load dyno will light the chargers does not mean your setup is tuned properly nor working at it's optimal performance!!:doh: If you tune a truck to light on a Dynojet, it will light on the road and the strip with ease.:rockwoot:

In sled pulling, that static load on a dyno may be great for tuning, but also in sled pulling, you have a whole day to sit at the line and spool the thing before you subject it to that static load:bang

BUT!!!!!!!!!!! That same load on a dyno can mask horrible tuning in a drag racing situation!!!! :bang Just because a load dyno will light the chargers does not mean your setup is tuned properly nor working at it's optimal performance!!:doh: If you tune a truck to light on a Dynojet, it will light on the road and the strip with ease.:rockwoot:

Great post Greg and I agree. I hate it when everyone says a DJ will give you a big number, then says they won't load them enough. If it can't load it enough wouldn't the number be less?

The bottom line is this. Boost pressure is measured at the intake which really means it is a measurement of boost backpressure (not getting into the motor). A DJ run is not as long as a load cell run therefore has less time to buildup that backpressure. Everyone just assumes when they make less boost on a DJ it is because the load is not there. I disagree. In a direct comparison with a Superflow, a Dmax makes 10 lbs less on the DJ but makes the same number. hmm.

Another example. Take an Aurora 5000. Lets say on a DJ it makes 35 psi on a Duramax 403 cu. in. yet on a 359 cu. in. it makes 60 psi. How can a smaller air pump (Cummins) make with the same load more boost than the larger air pump (Duramax)? Could it be that the Duramax flows more air than a Cummins? We all know that is true.

Just last weekend I made over 90 psi in a Cummins motor on fuel only. These were decent size twins too. If there is enough load for it why not the Duramax.

In Gregs example, the puller is using a charger that is way too big for just about anything other than pulling. Yes, that truck should be tuned on a load cell so that environment can be simulated. But in every other case, a DJ will give you a real number. I stand by that until I can prove it via actual dyno runs I see every year.

A mustang dyno will throw 6-13% lower #'s

Superflow is the way to go.

IMO superflowis chit!!! I dynoed a month ago with a stock fuel system, stage II cp3, stock sticks, stock turbo over an s400 with smarty and hit 580 hp..

Dynoed on a superflow with an airdog fuel system, stage II cp3, smarty, mp-8 62/71/13 over an s480 and did 560!! soo how the heck do I go from running out of fuel with a stock system to a airdog supplied fuel system that is running strong at 20 psi and only dropping to 17 at wot runs and LOOOSE horse power?? I realize stock sticks weren't helping butt I was able to mooove more air hit 65 psi where the old twins would max out at 50 psi and not drain the system of fuel??

I was not the only dis satisfied customer on the dyno some of DPD's trucks showed up and they regularry dynoed at mid 600's and were barely hitting 530.... :kick:

Just my opinion but Dynojet according to my 1/4 mile et's are right inline with each other...

OMG

Show me a restricted exhaust,.. a restricted exhaust manifold,.. a restricted intake,... a restricted head and I'll show you higher boost numbers. So more boost = more flow????? NOT!

The thing I do not like about the mustang dyno is there inconsistency from one to the next. +1 for the DJ

Great post Greg and I agree. I hate it when everyone says a DJ will give you a big number, then says they won't load them enough. If it can't load it enough wouldn't the number be less?

People with great minds and the same birthday think alike!!:hehe::rockwoot:

The sad fact is there are very, very few people on these forums that use a dyno for it's intended purpose........TUNING!!:bang They show up at a Dyno Day once or twice a year, throw down their $70, get 3 rolls, post their results, and then it becomes "internet law" what a particular setup is capable of:bang

Now David has probably more experience dynoing diesels than anyone in the country and knows when he has a good pull or not and will rerun trucks at events untill there is a good pull. But he will be the first to tell you that especially with todays electronically controlled engines, it is impossible to "guess" at the setup and throwing everything on "kill" is not always best. In fact, the same exact setups can act completely different from each other in the same settings!:doh:

Bottom line, whatever dyno you choose to run on, use it for it's intended purpose, tuning! Always compare your results ON THE SAME DYNO, same conditions, ect. and do more than just a couple pulls.

If all you are looking for is a big number for bragging rights..................find yourself a Dynocom!!!:hehe:

People with great minds and the same birthday think alike!!:hehe::rockwoot:

The sad fact is there are very, very few people on these forums that use a dyno for it's intended purpose........TUNING!!:bang They show up at a Dyno Day once or twice a year, throw down their $70, get 3 rolls, post their results, and then it becomes "internet law" what a particular setup is capable of:bang

Now David has probably more experience dynoing diesels than anyone in the country and knows when he has a good pull or not and will rerun trucks at events untill there is a good pull. But he will be the first to tell you that especially with todays electronically controlled engines, it is impossible to "guess" at the setup and throwing everything on "kill" is not always best. In fact, the same exact setups can act completely different from each other in the same settings!:doh:

Bottom line, whatever dyno you choose to run on, use it for it's intended purpose, tuning! Always compare your results ON THE SAME DYNO, same conditions, ect. and do more than just a couple pulls.

If all you are looking for is a big number for bragging rights..................find yourself a Dynocom!!!:hehe:

I agree with you and David both. It seems everyone forgets what a dyno is used for. I have no experiance around any dyno except the Mustang. I've seen it thow down some good numbers on a twin turbo Dodge, but not be able to spool the Fords at all! (non stock that is) The problem with mustang dyno's are that when someone buys one, they send someone one out to show you how to operate it. That's all well and good, but you need to explain to them how all the programs work! Thats just my thoughts. So the question was, whats better Dynojet or Mustang? I think that both the dyno's will give you a number, how accurate will it be? That will probably depend on the operator, and how well he know's their dyno.

I love my DynoJet!

The bottom line is this. Boost pressure is measured at the intake which really means it is a measurement of boost backpressure (not getting into the motor). A DJ run is not as long as a load cell run therefore has less time to buildup that backpressure. Everyone just assumes when they make less boost on a DJ it is because the load is not there. I disagree. In a direct comparison with a Superflow, a Dmax makes 10 lbs less on the DJ but makes the same number. hmm.

Another example. Take an Aurora 5000. Lets say on a DJ it makes 35 psi on a Duramax 403 cu. in. yet on a 359 cu. in. it makes 60 psi. How can a smaller air pump (Cummins) make with the same load more boost than the larger air pump (Duramax)? Could it be that the Duramax flows more air than a Cummins? We all know that is true.

Just last weekend I made over 90 psi in a Cummins motor on fuel only. These were decent size twins too. If there is enough load for it why not the Duramax.

In Gregs example, the puller is using a charger that is way too big for just about anything other than pulling. Yes, that truck should be tuned on a load cell so that environment can be simulated. But in every other case, a DJ will give you a real number. I stand by that until I can prove it via actual dyno runs I see every year.

I am with you guys on this. I love my dynojet and wouldn't have it any other way. Some poeple get hung up on a number and if they don't hit it then it must not be right and the equipment is junk. It is a tool used to check the differences in horsepower and torque over rpm, speed or time. If it is used as such than your data from it should back up your track times or broken parts.:bang
The dynojet is the easiest and most accurate way to measure horsepower and is the dyno that is most approved and accepted dyno by major sanctioned bodies of racing (NASCAR, SCCA, ITTA, NASA, etc.) because of how the information is obtained by the equipment there for it is the most repeatable dyno out there. Keep up the great work guys.

Back