My drive pressure numbers

BgBlDodge said:
I distinctly asked if drive pressures would be ok at 60psi and he said they would be on the ragged edge but would be fine.

Maybe hes just saying that the turbo wouldnt explode at 60psi, that doesnt necessarily mean that it is efficient at 60psi. I talked with Shane about my SPS62 and he said that he wouldnt run it over 45psi on a stock motor, but with a cam and ported head, 60 would be okay.

I'm just telling yall what II told me about my turbo. They said it would work great and drive pressures would be in line up to 60psi of boost.

DIESEL POWER said:
ok cause i did my research and you didnt, i wont hold it against you.

the siver 64 is whats the main subject in this thread, getblown5.9's is a 66 silver----big difference between the two on drive psi and boost at 1:1, believe me i know.

Maybe I just wanted to jump in the Diesel Power bashing band wagon LOL I'll try to refrain and save all my bashing for FBD in the future:Cheer:

BgBlDodge said:
I'm just telling yall what II told me about my turbo. They said it would work great and drive pressures would be in line up to 60psi of boost.

II has told me 1/1 up to 45 and that's where they set the wastegate. I think someone was confused or you got fed a line.

My wastegate was also set to 45psi from the factory. However, I have enough drive pressure to blow past the wastegate to 61psi. I would guess there's a little of that going on at 52psi.

That's what happened to me... 45 was max until I got crazy with the fuel... so can I assume the wastegate isn't large enough to do it's job correctly?

sootman said:
Is it the 12v head causing that? My bullet is running 1 to 1 at 58 to 62 psi? CR on fuel only. Yes, I do have a real set of BIG sticks. I had to adj to this because it would go over 70psi before.

It may very well be! Remember that even though I do run a stock cam there is not allot left to do to the head for more flow except cut the manifold off and go that route. The problem with that is it's just not cost effective for me, the truck does just fine. My main emphasis with the jump to a Bullet was 1. Brady had been hounding me about it for a while. 2. I need to get the boost down a little more on the bottle as I was seeing 65 with everything on kill. 3. Everyone had talked about the extra responsiveness of the Bullet over the SPS 66 (and it does have that). So far my (on the bottle) boost has dropped 10 psi, but I have not made one change to the settings as it came from them.

I may give the wastegate at few turns (not as easy as it sounds) and see were boost/drive and air temp go to!

I have a SPS 62 running around in a tweaked 12V with a PDR stage 1 cam, a head that flows close to mine and it runs around 50-52 psi with the Water/Meth on.

If your going to compare Boost/Drive from turbo to turbo (64, 66 or any other) you really need to compare it on the same truck with the same settings.

Jim

Tony, nice post.

Wade, since you seem to have done some testing, can you tell me (ball park) when a SPS 66 is gettin close to 1:1?

And how much benefit is there goin from SPS 66 to SB66? In drivability and power?

Sorry for the highjack.

wap said:
Tony, nice post.

Wade, since you seem to have done some testing, can you tell me (ball park) when a SPS 66 is gettin close to 1:1?

And how much benefit is there goin from SPS 66 to SB66? In drivability and power?

Sorry for the highjack.
the sps is at about 46-49psi for 1:1, different altitude will make it vary slightly
the sps to the bullet is close to 150CFM advance, drivability is great and power is even better.

DIESEL POWER said:
the sps is at about 46-49psi for 1:1, different altitude will make it vary slightly
the sps to the bullet is close to 150CFM advance, drivability is great and power is even better.

I think I am at about 800ft. I have my SPS 66 set at about 47 to I think I will leave it as is, until I get my TIP guage hooked up to see exactly what it is. I was wondering about the SB to see if it was worth the $ for basically a bandaid until I get twins, I love my SPS66 but it just aint quite enough air.

Thanks

Won't the sps66 and Silverbullet give you the same air? Both have 66mm compressors no?
The bullet will cool things off better because of the bigger exhaust turbine.
Unless I'm totally stupid about this stuff...:hehe:

trik396 said:
Won't the sps66 and Silverbullet give you the same air? Both have 66mm compressors no?
The bullet will cool things off better because of the bigger exhaust turbine.
Unless I'm totally stupid about this stuff...:hehe:

They do have the same size compressor but I am not sure about the number of fins or fin pitch so power/air could be differant.

What I ment was I need more air to run cooler wich still doesnt sound good.

Basically I guess what I am gettin at is I need the bigger exhuast side to hopefully drop my egts and also my DP, wich isnt a problem right now but I would like to keep that HG happy.

Make sense?

Very much.... I wish there was something out there between a Silverbullet and an Aurora5000... Is there?

I have a feeling that compounds are in my future... not immediate... but someday.

I used to read about these guys swapping turbo's left and right... I thought they were crazy... Now I wish I had a garage full of em'... I'd be swapping every week or so...:rockwoot:

wish ya lived closer Will.... it'd be nice to have a helping hand.

wap said:
I think I am at about 800ft. I have my SPS 66 set at about 47 to I think I will leave it as is, until I get my TIP guage hooked up to see exactly what it is. I was wondering about the SB to see if it was worth the $ for basically a bandaid until I get twins, I love my SPS66 but it just aint quite enough air.

Thanks

I'm not sure what motor you have but in testing tonight. I saw 1to1 at 65psi with 1300 degree's. That is with PPE set on economy(155hp), 150hp sticks, 50% mp8. I have not tested at extreme(300hp) or 100%. Truck pulls like a raped alterboy to 3700rpm's. This is with the SB66 on a 600 series. Hope this helps you in making a decision.

Sootman, why is your drive pressure so much lower than mine. I'm running a Silver 64 turbo.

I also have a donaldson 4" straight-thru muffler... Any ideas?