My first 12v manifold build

header005_zpse2eea118.jpg

header006_zps0040219d.jpg

header007_zpsb4432be9.jpg

header008_zps6805e6a2.jpg

Just FYI, on my manifold after I got it all welded up and went to machine flat, it warped up and twisted. Bad enough to where it couldn't be machined flat or it could but then the flange was very thin, mainly from the twist which was hard to see. It was a 1/2" flange also. I should have bolted it down to a jig completely I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just FYI, on my manifold after I got it all welded up and went to machine flat, it warped up and twisted. Bad enough to where it couldn't be machined flat or it could but then the flange was very thin, mainly from the twist which was hard to see. It was a 1/2" flange also. I should have bolted it down to a jig completely I guess.

I wonder if it would've been as bad if you had used mild steel

I wonder if it would've been as bad if you had used mild steel

Mild steel would have been better, but its always good to strong back whatever your welding whenever possible. Sometimes its a pain in the ass but you'll never regret it

What are the chances welding a new flange on would cure it? Plane the tubes flat and go again.

Great thread. The day I finish a t4 manifold I'll have a turbo on order.

Why is everything shifted at one angle when it comes out of the head?

The majority of the port in the head is at that angle, it kind of straightens out a bit right at the manifold flange. The first couple I do will probably come straight out from the head. The angled idea adds a lot of complexity to manufacturing the pieces.

^Oil feed??

Huh?

I'm planning on welding while bolted to a head. If it's still too bad maybe have it annealed. Planning on 1/2, unless my laser guys have some 5/8.

I had mine bolted tight to the head when i welded it. After all was welded I let the manifold cool down. Then had to have it milled down about an 1/8th to get all flat.

I bolted mine to the head at first when I was tacking all the pieces together and some welding, then I took it off for final welding cause I was moving it around and flipping it over etc. Shouldn't have done that. Also stainless grows a lot more the mild steel with heat

5/8 works great thats what the flanges i use are. They sit perfectly flat against the head after cooled down. I do plan to touch them with the belt sander but thats all it would need. Also its alot easier just bolting it to 1inch thick piece of steel. Easy to flip around when welding.

kjpcummins, where do you get your flanges from, and how much are they?
Same question for 9724vf350. 5/8" would be nice.

Columbia mandrel wants 60$ for 6 individual flanges in 1/2" mild. I would prefer a one or two piece flange.

Columbia mandrel wants 60$ for 6 individual flanges in 1/2" mild. I would prefer a one or two piece flange.

I have the company that does all my laser work and cnc bending do them. The last batch was 1/2", I think I sold a few of them individually for around $80. Not sure on 5/8".

Stainless headers . Com sells a one piece, last time I bought one it was $50. I've gotten probable 8 from them, all have been very nice. Just FYI

So you guys think its worth it to try 304 stainless? Or should i just use mild and get it coated and blanket it?? I would really like stainless and am planning 16 gauge stainless 1 1/2 inch. Just worried about to much warp with stainless. I have a spare head im going to bolt it to either way. Just need some input.

Back