need new primary turbo ....not sure if i should go bigger. any input?

Lucas1

will a he351 over a S475 clean up the smoke?
egt's contollable?
spool time comarable between the two.
something that comes on quick would be nice as the old VE makes lotsa smoke

Choices are
S475-83mm turbine-1.1a/r-T6
S475-96mm-1.32 a/r-T6
S476 same
S478
S480

twins are built but i had a bad s400:bang and iam not changing the piping

running SDX 5x18
may p-pump it in the future....."maybe"

more interested in a set i can tow with and good spoling manners more then full out performance.
i was thinking the 475-96-1.32 would work and it is the cheapest:pop:
budget is getting thin

:thankyou2:

My HE351 over HT4B setup cleans up really well. I'm actually running 5x.018 injectors as well, just being fed with a p7100 pump instead of a VE.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umbIav4MOlg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umbIav4MOlg[/ame]

At high rpm, it's still really clean, and high RPM provides less time for a complete burn so it's actually difficult to make a truck run clean at 4200 rpm.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7f-HSh3KH8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7f-HSh3KH8[/ame]

Last edited:

How did you arrive at the A/R of 1.1 versus the A/R of 1.32 ?

At high rpm, it's still really clean, and high RPM provides less time for a complete burn so it's actually difficult to make a truck run clean at 4200 rpm.
Man that thing runs nice !

How is the spool up as a DD ? What is maximum boost ?

Last edited:
Several ppl that have sent to the 1.1 are very pleased.

thats what i had...........ran it for 5 min:bang

just picked up a the standard "box" turbo
475/96/1.32

price was right and well my pockets are getting thin.

ill report back in a week and let you guys know how it runs.
if its smokey iam going to save my pennys and step up to a billet wheel race cover 480.................what i originally wanted and couldnt afford:charger:

What are the specs on your ht4b?

83/127mm compressor, turbine wheel is 118/88mm with a standard 28cm Holset exhaust housing.

I'm wastegating around the top He351 a little too much as peak pressure is right about 85-87 psi, and HT4B outlet pressure can get all the way up to 54psi.

It runs great, and spool-up is incredible. I think I could squeeze more power out of the setup by wastegating a little less and running the He351 harder, but for now, I can't hook-up the current power so no sense in adding more as the truck is already a little scary in the 60-70 MPH range when full boost comes in on the street or on the track, it still spins.

Big Blue thats stinkin awsome! It still wants to spin at 60-70 on the track?! That with yer street tires or the slicks?? Ol truck makes ya drive it a little, sounds fun! Sry not meaning or wanting to derail I just gotta ask!

thats what i had...........ran it for 5 min:bang

just picked up a the standard "box" turbo
475/96/1.32

price was right and well my pockets are getting thin.

ill report back in a week and let you guys know how it runs.
if its smokey iam going to save my pennys and step up to a billet wheel race cover 480.................what i originally wanted and couldnt afford:charger:

May I ask why?

May I ask why?

without naming names.

i bought the turbo from a buddy.it was rebuilt from a local shop just a short while before i got it.

it was rebuilt because when it was first installed on a different truck the seals puked immediately.
it didnt get sent back to the "vender" here due to the shipping expenses and was rebuilt local to save some $$

well when i put it on i idled it for 20 min,after pre oiling.has a 7/8 drain and lots of supply oil and pressure.100% confirmed because i had a guage on before start up. anyway
i start hearing a slight tick the impeller just barely touching the housing. i didnt know that was it at the time, almost sounded like a lifter.
took for a test drive and it got louder. inspected EVERYTHING then found the impellar rub marks.

took it off and sent it to the shop that"rebuilt" it.

wouldnt warranty it and said there was debris in it. BULL**** 100%
because when i insatlled it it was cap off -oil in -spin spin spin-notice it didn't
"FLOW" the oil like i thought it should. figured it was rebuilt and what do i know right?
and insantly bolted it up

30 min later its screwed again.
i thought maybe the bearing spun within the housing or something,restricting the flow of oil?
when i took it off i checked if it would drain oil through.VERY minimal amount

i think its cursed.

any ideas?????????????

Last edited:
Big Blue thats stinkin awsome! It still wants to spin at 60-70 on the track?! That with yer street tires or the slicks?? Ol truck makes ya drive it a little, sounds fun! Sry not meaning or wanting to derail I just gotta ask!

It will spin at the 2-3 gear shift with the "Nascar" Road Race Slicks at the track.

With street tires, the rear will drift around spin just a little on the 3-4 gear shift at 80 MPH. When track conditions are really poor, I have to lift after the 3-4 shift to maintain control because the drift around a little becomes drift a lot and I don't like going sideways at 80 MPH.

I now have true MT ET Drag Slicks. I haven't made a pass with them yet, but hopefully they'll solve all of my traction issues.

I'm a big fan of the big turbo on bottom for huge air flow coupled with a small turbo on top to quick spool up and predictable throttle response.

Lucas I meant why would you want an billet wheeled 480 (guessing along with the 96mm turbine) for your truck?

If you are running a VE, you need an S480 about as much as you need lower injection pressure.

Smaller primary as most would think. Narrow window of oppertunity to make power. Don't forget rpm vs fueling with a ve.