Need to cut some weight for drags. what should i do?

jessmeistertc

Pro Driver
Got a 2000 qcsb 4x4. Its a street/strip truck. No sled pulling. Want to shed some more weight if possible. So, I am thinking take off tailgate and rear bumper and support, hitch is gone, take out rear seat and middle and passenger front seat. Maybe Get a Kirkey aluminum seat to throw in and out. spare tire and associated mounting brackets are already gone. I want to keep my A/C as it is still a street truck. What can I do to shed some more weight with out getting "too" radical?

I'd recommend looking at the low calorie meal at McDonalds vs the standard double quarter pounder with cheese. Although not the best meals, they have improved taste and size of these meals significantly in recent years.

If you're not a McDonalds person, I'd look at Subway. The $5 foot long deals are hard to beat, and they have some great options there also. Avoid all the extras, and you should be fine.

Hope this helps!

The dash can be dropped with about 12 bolts and a few connections. Drop the dash and replace it with basic gauges. Should be good for a few more pounds.

You could cut the bed of the truck and put a tonnaue cover over the bed. If you wanted to get really radical, you could put in a little bracing and take out the floor of the bed and the inner fender wells.

Replace rear glass/side windows with Lexan.

Fiberglass hood.

etc. etc.

You could loose a little bit of the end of the frame, fiberglass front bumper, lighter wheels, run with an almost empty tank.

go and start cutting any metal that is not doing anything. lose the stock rad for a smaller one. ditch the fans. fuel cell. bumper cover, tube front end, coil overs all around, bed cut up, front fenders cut up, get rid of the abs, and get ride of the factory carpet. just some ideas.

ive got my 2005 qcsb down to 6,050lbs and i think i can get some more out, i drive it everyday all the interior is in except when i go to track i take out the back seat. take as many leafs out as u can( i have 2 in the pack) cut all the spare tire mounting stuff off. Battery, t-case skid plate, there so much lil stuff that adds up, the best thing i did was lighter wheels and tires that saved 30lbs at each corner, and rotational weight is just as important

Hood insulation, Radio, Speakers, Grill inserts, fog light wiring if you take those out, sun visors.

Just keep in mind that for every 150lbs lost you pick up a tenth on your time.

ive got my 2005 qcsb down to 6,050lbs and i think i can get some more out, i drive it everyday all the interior is in except when i go to track i take out the back seat. take as many leafs out as u can( i have 2 in the pack) cut all the spare tire mounting stuff off. Battery, t-case skid plate, there so much lil stuff that adds up, the best thing i did was lighter wheels and tires that saved 30lbs at each corner, and rotational weight is just as important

wow. talk about light. I have to make up for the dana 80 swap and the extra turbo hangin down there. what wheels and tires do you run? I will try and take some more leafs out. over loads are gone already.

Twins add enough extra power and spool/launch-ability to make up for the 70-150 lb weight penalty.

You could not keep a 70 intact?

Convert to disk brakes available from EGR, TSM Manufacturing or Great Lakes Off Road. Supposed to save 45-70 lbs.

What tires and wheels are you running?

You could not keep a 70 intact?

Convert to disk brakes available from EGR, TSM Manufacturing or Great Lakes Off Road. Supposed to save 45-70 lbs.

What tires and wheels are you running?

broke a spider and an axle. shoulda stayed with the 70 after talking with Carey at CSI. they still have one in their pro street truck, but i was gung ho to get an 80 at the time. black soft 8 steelies and 285 70 17 A/Ts. these wheels were actutally 10 pounds lighter overall than my Hummer H2's.

picked this up today on the cheap. gotta love craigslist.
03300004151.jpg