New designs.

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
We are pleased to announce that thanks to Crane Cams going out of business, we were able to hire the lead designer with well over 20 years experience designing camshafts. It is an honor to work with him on these new designs.

We redesigned our 181/210 with a bit more lift and more duration above
.200" lift, as well as added a few new designs. We will have dyno sheets in the following weeks on every camshaft we offer so that you can make an intelligent decision on each one for your application. These camshafts were designed on the latest software and ground on state of the art Landis CNC grinders and hold amazingly tight tolerances.

Here is a list of the new designs

178/208 .270"/.310" 105.5LSA
181/210 .290"/.320" 106.5LSA
188/220 .310"/.320" 107LSA
200/220 .340"/.360" 107LSA
207/220 .360"/.360" 107LSA
232/252 .369"/.369" 106LSA

Feel free to p.m. me if you have any in depth questions about these new designs.

Zach Hamilton

Oh the good old landis CNC Grinders. Spent many an hour working on those!

Would you mind giving a short description of the affects of each design like you do for the 181/210? ie- good for street, strip, sled pulling, slow spool until higher rpm......

No problem

181/210-
It was a proven design so we did not scrap it just tweaked on it a bit. Seat time was cut a few degrees on each lobe while high lift duration was added and we added .011" lift on the intake and .013" on the exhaust. This is a great cam for just about any application but it leans a little bit more in the performance catagory now. With the higher lift it is important that if run on a 24v that the highlift version of our 110#'s be used. They lower the rate over the nose a bit. Although not a must, it is recommended to run zinc if you run this cam

178/208.
Since the 181/210 leans a little more towards performance applications now we decided it was time to develop a camshaft that while performance minded, leans on the conservative side of the spectrum. It has .009 less lift on the intake than the old 181/210 at .270" and .003 more lift on the exhaust than the old 210 exhaust at .310". This cam will be more for people that tow and generally just daily drive and want the best bottom end, fuel economy, and least amount of stress on the valvetrain. Although I have not mentioned it to this point, we are also in the process of making a higher ratio 5th gear set to accompany this camshaft. We are hoping to see our samples in the next months, and look forward to fuel economy results from this combo. Since the fifth gear is so thin to start with, we are looking at different alloys to handle the stresses of the high torque applications in this gear set.

Stay tuned to for news on this project or shall I say program.

188/220

This cam was developed to give you the edge when racing and sledpulling in the 2.6 arena. It is made to drop in but because of its size it needs to be degreed in to check clearances and verify centerlines. If your head and/or block has been decked, you need to make sure extra room is given so you would need to retard it from a 99 degree intake centerline to a 100 or 101 degree. You must run zinc with this cam every oil change as well as our high lift 110#'s if run on a 24v.

200/220
We kept similar seat times as with the 188/220 but added a littl eon the intake. Lift was increase on the intake from .310" to .340" and the exhaust went from .320" to .360" drag racers and people in the 2.6 and smaller 2.8 trucks will love this cam. You will need to flycut your pistons .060" minimum to run this cam. You must run zinc with this cam every oil change as well as our high lift 110#'s if run on a 24v.

207/220 this cam uses the same centerlines and exhaust as the 200/220 but the intake has a much more duration above .200" lift at .360"/.360" this cam is VERY aggressive and requires 2 bottles of zinc and our high lift springs if used on a 24v. This cam ius designed for hard core pullers and drag racers in the 2.6", 2.8" classes that want to stay on top of their chargers. While it is agressive it is still a very efficient design. .080" fly cuts are required. Due to the pressures associated with this much lift, while not necessary, it would be cheap insurance to have your block fitted with cam bushings. I designed this cam specifically for people that spent extra time on their cylinder head porting. It will take advantage of trucks running individual runner intakes and heads that flow well around .600" lift

232/252

At .369"/.369" this cam is very aggressive and requires zinc in every oil change. It is not recommended for use in any 24v application due to the pressures associated with that much lift. 2.8-3.0 or any of the larger classes in pulling will benefit from the use of this cam. Cam bushings are cheap insurance for journal wear using this cam. .120" valve reliefs are needed to clear this cam. Although opinions vary on how to set-up larger pulling engines no additional compression lowering other than the .120" reliefs, will make a nice running truck that helps stay on top of the charger.

Again, I worked with the engineer that designed these cams for about three months on these designs. I think this lineup combined with all of the data needed to set them up and all of the accompanying dyno sheets will make a choosing any one of them a no brainer.

These designs feature the absolute lowest seat time possible for the profile while maintaining the maximum lift and duration at higher lifts for the amount of seat duration on each lobe.

A lot of time went into their developement and I am proud as can be to offer these cams to you.

If any additional information is needed feel free to ask.

On a side note, since we have these latest designs, if you have purchased a 188/225 or a 215/232 in the past we would love to upgrade you for free to one of these new cams. THe have a much better shape, nose angles, ramp rates and I believe will help give you that edge over other camshafts on the market.

We are waiting on our shipment of the Bigstick cores with the wider lobes and expecting them in December. If you have a p-pumped truck running over 4500 rpm you would be best served waiting on these cores for the large profiles. We have many trucks turning 6k with the bigstick cores and large profiles.

Zach Hamilton

Yes sir. Just had 5 Billets made for testing. The same guy that designed our cummins cams is doing the D-max lineup as we speak. We have 5 new test cams that we will be sending out in the next few weeks. Stay tuned on that as well.

Please be patient with Ryan and the return phone calls. I am working on the new duramax cams, redesigning our cummins cores, new 24v retainers, new nv4500 gears, new 12v cylinder heads, 7.3 and 6.0 cams next and I am building a theater as well as looking at building a new shop. We are a two man show and I am usually tinkering with new prototypes and Ryan is usually slammed with calls. Service is very important so we will be adding a new person to the crew in December or January to handle the volume these new products will bring.

Zach

That info was a great help. Very nice. I wanted to call you about your cams , but never had the time. You should post more stuff like that about you cams.

Zach thanks for getting me a new 181/210 so quickly to get the engine back together, thanks for everything....

I have a couple of questions, 1 do you have to run springs on the 178/208 and 2 what happened to the 183/215 IIRC?

After Geoff and I split I used a designer that came up with the 183/220 and the 188/225. THey worked good but our new grinder suggested I send those profiles to our new designer formerly of Crane Cams. After he went over them, got our rocker ratio, looked at the size tappets he saw a few areas we could improve on in performance and a couple areas to improve the angles in the nose area of the camshaft. I jumped at the chance to work with him and the new profiles are some of the best I have seen after looking at well over 70 different designs in the last few years.

Because I want our customers to have the best in their hands I have offered to trade anybody that has our 183/220, 188/225 or our 215/232 to one of our newest grinds. I think they will be happier these new cams since we were able to add a little bit of area under the curve, and optimize the nose shape. Like I said previously, I am proud as hell to have these cams in our lineup!

With our 178/208, it is not needed to run performance springs if you have a 24v, are under 45psi and are under 3500 rpm. For a 12v, I would do 60lbers minimum as the spring pressure is way to low for performance applications with the stock springs.

Zach Hamilton

Zach, how long would I have to trade in my 183/220? I bought/installed it 6/10. I'm not going to have time in the near future to do a cam swap on my '94.

Also I have been getting some people that want the biggest grinds we have for very small trucks. THis is a gross mis-matching of parts.

Duration is dictated by rpm while lift is dependant on how much head work you have done. .369" lift on a stock 12v head is not ideal. The head will not flow enough at the higher lifts to fully utilize the extreme lift. The rest of your valvetrain will under go a lot of stress with such a big cam for no real benefit. Also having a big duration cam on a truck that only sees 3500 rpm is a major mis-match as well. Higher duration camshafts make power at higher rpms for the most part. Having too short of duration at higher rpm will choke an engine down while having too much duration at lower rpm will not allow you to stay on top of the charger, make your truck laggy, and make a smoke show. It has the same effect as injectors that are too big and turbos that are too big.

Stay tuned as we will post up dyno graphs in the coming weeks to help you decide on the cam for your truck. I have seen far too many cams that are some bastardized oddball combos for trucks that really aren't matched well at all. Last month I had a large vendor that was sold a small towing cam for his puller turning almost 5,000rpm. It came out of the hole hard but choked down above 3,000 rpm. The vendor was told that this was the cam he needed and that he did not need to know any info. He tried changing many different parts of his combo, spent a LOT of money all to find out in the end, it was his cam. Don't be a dummy and pay ignorant people to help you loose!

Zach

Zach.
ZZFab is doing the head for my 6.7. Going to be installing larger valves(1.383 inch) and complete porting. I have 2 sets of pistons I can use. One set will come in right at 16.7 to 1 if i take .020 off the pistons and .020 off the deck. The other set would come out at the same compression ratio if I leave the block alone and cut valve reliefs in the pistons 37mm by 3mm deep. the head is going to flow in the 260 range. Max rpm is around 3800. Would I be better off to go with a 181/210 and no valve reliefs, something with more lift and use the valve reliefs, or just use the 181/210 with a higher ratio rocker and valve reliefs.
I'm more concerned with street manners than racing.

Ron

Last edited: