New designs.

LOVEIN the sounds of some of these cuts. While I have ran MANY crane cams and hate to hear the Closing of the doors for them, one companies misfourtune is anothers gold mine. I do have a question, I am nearing the point by years end that a camshaft is going to be the next item on my list and have tried to find the duartion on a Stock 6.7 CAM.

I am on the road and don't have my notes in front of me but I think it is 159/19x .235"/.298"

thanks Zach one more Question for ya. Have you guys looked at or entertained the thoughts of a specific grind for the 6.7's larger displacement (13.5% larger). Being that it is creating higher drive pressure ratio's as well as "quicker spooling". I am getting ready to hang a B/W 475 under the stock VGT. A LOT of guys are interested in doing the same. I am sure you know the 6.7 has a higher DP ratio and "issue" when left unchecked and was curious as to how that could be captured and benefited by a CAM cut designed for it specifically.

thanks Zach one more Question for ya. Have you guys looked at or entertained the thoughts of a specific grind for the 6.7's larger displacement (13.5% larger). Being that it is creating higher drive pressure ratio's as well as "quicker spooling". I am getting ready to hang a B/W 475 under the stock VGT. A LOT of guys are interested in doing the same. I am sure you know the 6.7 has a higher DP ratio and "issue" when left unchecked and was curious as to how that could be captured and benefited by a CAM cut designed for it specifically.

There are a few things you can do to fix that. On all of my 6.7l builds I use a 40mm or 45mm gate from majestic turbo in waco. THere are a lot of good wastegate companies but they seem to have the highest flowing ones with the smallest foot print. This will allow dp to stay in check regardless of the cam or turbo used. I could retard the exhaust but that would lose performance and not gain a lot in the way of lowering drive pressure. If we get a cam that moves more air into the engine more has to come out. I think this speaks volumes(pun intended) about having a path for the excess exhaust gas by sizing your turbo correctly and having an external gate.

As far as what can a cam do, although I can put a larger intake with more duration it will reduce the bottom end of the engine and kind of negate the benefits of a 6.7l. In my opinion I would run a 181/210 for a street/strip truck or a 188/220 for a hot build just like the 5.9l since the rpm is the similar. The duration and the intended rpm use go hand in hand regardless of the small difference in displacement. We recently bumped up the duration on the 181/210 over .100" lift and added some lift. THe 181/210 is more than capable of handling airflow on a street driven 6.7l as that is what I run in mine.

The place that I think more people need to address with 6.7l builds is the head and valves. Due to the larger bore a larger valve can be used which will increase flow a great deal on both the intake and the exhaust. Add porting, a cam and an external gate and you are ready for some major airflow and power.

Last edited:
Your preaching to the choir with the External Waste gates bud. I'm the Owner of Black Ops Diesel (a small but growing fast). I was one of the first to start making a Bolt on Wastegate kit for the 6.7's and am now working on a twin kit that will be Double Gated to keep the VGT in its map. Thanks for the info on the Cam's very anxious to get one put in the truck.

Good luck to ya Zach glad to see everything is falling into place for you guys!

rbmedic, maybe I should have put that in another way. For a daily driver, I don't want to go more aggressive in terms of more lift with the 181/210 as it makes for sharp nose angles and reduces longevity. A 188/220 will flow more air for sure, but because of the bump in duration it looses a touch of efficiency. Running the 181/210 will be the best cam for you on the street. Since the 6.7l and 5.9l have the same size valves, this is the easiest/most logical place to start in terms of more flow. As far as gates, didn't know I was preaching to the choir....bud, didn't mean to offend you. Goodluck with your wastegate sales.

Thanks BTP, Want to do some cam trading?

Yes, but it takes almost 4 hours of setup @100 dollars an hour, and I just got all of my blanks cut, so it will be December before we cut a new lot. P.M. me your cell and I can talk some specifics with you.

Zach

:hehe: no offense here Zach at all, I am sure as you know we have beat the whole drive pressure issue to death on the 6.7.

Thanks fir the good wishes, things have been going great now if i can just find a few more hours in the day, but im sure your familar with that also

Zach, I am interested to hear what your thoughts would be for a all out race 6.7. Big twins, presently head is not too done, but will be when cash is available. (bigger valves etc) 4000 rpm. this engine is only for drag racing

Thanks

send me a p.m. with your number and I will give you a shout tomorrow.
I have just the cam for you. Designed it with a 6.7l race engine in mind.

Zach

That 178/208 is looking good...I need to lurk around until I sale happens.

-Dustin-

I got one of the 181 210s on the way hopefully it can help this pig of a Turbo get moving. Great customer service so far.