new from Texas (5+ years ago)

I was also looking for your input which is why I posted it here lol.

I haven't made up my mind which one I'm going to get or when. It's hard...

If I'm dancing, it's entertaining. For me anyway. :hehe:

I am sure it is entertaining for anyone around! :hehe:

I was also looking for your input which is why I posted it here lol.

I haven't made up my mind which one I'm going to get or when. It's hard...

Well I am more than happy to help as much as I can! I know someone in this thread who owns a GD, hopefully he can offer some insight!

I love Belle and I love bloodhounds. Belle is an atypical bloodhound for sure. She is WAY more timid than all others (for obvious reasons), she is not so great at tracking and is less "disobedient" than most. I don't consider her a good example of a typical bloodhound lol.
They are a handful and a half and most people think they are disobedient. The aren't, they're just so stuck on tracking that they ignore you to do what they are bred to do. They are SO good with little dogs (Belle is VERY good with Nacho and was awesome with Taco) and she is great with kids. I think she is more aware of her size than most big dogs, and I think bloodhounds are much better suited as a family dog.

If I'm dancing, it's entertaining. For me anyway. :hehe:

My wife says that when I drink and dance I look like the gopher from Caddy Shack. :hehe: What does a Snedge look like while dancing under the influence?

I am sure it is entertaining for anyone around! :hehe:

Well I am more than happy to help as much as I can! I know someone in this thread who owns a GD, hopefully he can offer some insight!

I love Belle and I love bloodhounds. Belle is an atypical bloodhound for sure. She is WAY more timid than all others (for obvious reasons), she is not so great at tracking and is less "disobedient" than most. I don't consider her a good example of a typical bloodhound lol.
They are a handful and a half and most people think they are disobedient. The aren't, they're just so stuck on tracking that they ignore you to do what they are bred to do. They are SO good with little dogs (Belle is VERY good with Nacho and was awesome with Taco) and she is great with kids. I think she is more aware of her size than most big dogs, and I think bloodhounds are much better suited as a family dog.

I felt mine was very good as well. However I have heard that greatdanes are great from several people, they love people etc but ya never know I guess. No hard facts from people I can trust.

My wife says that when I drink and dance I look like the gopher from Caddy Shack. :hehe: What does a Snedge look like while dancing under the influence?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I seriously can't stop laughing!!!!!!!

I felt mine was very good as well. However I have heard that Great Danes are great from several people, they love people etc but ya never know I guess. No hard facts from people I can trust.

I have met some really awesome Great Danes, and some nasty ones. I have never met a mean bloodhound hahaha. I would LOVE a Great Dane one day, and I think it's all about the lineage and pattern of behavior from that set of parents etc.

A very good friend of mine got a Great Dane to raise with her son when he was a bit older, and the GD came from a GREAT line. Great temperaments etc. But he started snapping at the little boy (5) out of nowhere; Brody (the boy) knew not to pick on the dog etc, and was very well behaved. They had to give Havoc away as a result. Most GDs I know/knew were in homes with older kids (12+ years old) or no kids.

Yea... They wouldn't really be with kids much. When they are it would be just visiting and such.

Yea... They wouldn't really be with kids much. When they are it would be just visiting and such.

I'd say you'd be fine either way. Very similar life spans, just different behaviors. In my honest opinion, you'd be better off with a bloodhound ONLY because you had one before. I think you know more of what to expect as such but that is in NO WAY saying they are "better" than Great Danes.

I'd say you'd be fine either way. Very similar life spans, just different behaviors. In my honest opinion, you'd be better off with a bloodhound ONLY because you had one before. I think you know more of what to expect as such but that is in NO WAY saying they are "better" than Great Danes.

Maybe I should stick to boxers lol... That might be my smartest thing.

Maybe I should stick to boxers lol... That might be my smartest thing.

HAHAHA it sounds like it may be your best bet! A lot of people get large dogs and don't realize how much is involved in training, feeding and exercising them.

I love my boxer even though she is a complete tard, or she usually chooses to act like one.

Fancy is actually very intelligent... I think she just has blonde moments or something.

Fancy is actually very intelligent... I think she just has blonde moments or something.

Multiple blond moments maybe? Sounds like you're doing just fine with the Boxers!

Fun fact: did you know that in French, "blonde" is a feminine adjective; it describes a woman with blond hair?

Great Danes are wonderful dogs. I've never owned a bloodhound or a boxer before but I have been around both. The reason I like Great Danes are because they are very loyal and loving. They have unique personalities. They don't drool like bloodhounds. They don't need to be exercised that much for their size and actually do just as well in smaller houses/apartments as they do in larger ones.

The cons of a GD are they have short life spans of around eight years. If they are exercised too much or too hard when they are growing (up to age three) they can develop long bone issues and/or joint issues. They sometimes have sensative digestive systems too. There are a lot of myths on what make a good GD and how you nedd to feed them...etc.

If you can find the truth or have a vet you trust and you buy from a breeder that isn't concerned with their GDs being the biggest..etc they make wonderful dogs.

BRE, Have you considered a Doberman at all? I have one and they're great dogs, very very smart, and they sure like to play.....all the time. LOL

or just a regular hound? Blood hounds are cool, but they're pretty big.

My next dog will be husky, aus sheppard, a mix of those, or another blue tick.

Thank you to our resident GD guy, I was wondering when you'd show up! :thankyou2:

BRE, Have you considered a Doberman at all? I have one and they're great dogs, very very smart, and they sure like to play.....all the time. LOL

My granny had Dobermans when I was growing up. I LOVED those dogs!

or just a regular hound? Blood hounds are cool, but they're pretty big.

My next dog will be husky, aus sheppard, a mix of those, or another blue tick.

Mike WTF is a "regular" hound?! LOL Redbone? Bluetick? Bassett? Black and tan? Beagle? Basenji? Viszla? Wolfhound? You get my point...

Bloodhounds are awesome, but they are very large. They drool excessively and have that hound smell. I still love 'em!

No one ever answered my question.

Dancing_gopher.gif

Back