New "Hold my Beer" Gov. Springs

Sounds like he insisted on fly cut pistons because the valves can hit, Its not a 5k springs more like 6k? then I dropped his call a few more time and instead of bothering him more on the phone I will get with him some other time. Maybe pick his brain at the next event?

Well keep us updated. Will these springs work equally well on 160 pumps vs 215 pumps?

Smokem said:
Edit, I'll wait to comment. What RPM do you think the automotive P7100 can produce?
1 billion RPM. :hehe: I'm curious too... does the violent accumulation of RPM cause the valves to be intimate with the pistons?

brandon.

Guys, these springs would allow more than 5k rpm should a driveline part fail. If the engine didn't have the valvetrain and/or valve to piston clearance, contact between valves and pistons would result. Jeff's kit contains new retainers and springs. To my knowledge, Jeff doesn't intend to sell them outside of his shop for the above reason.

I actually don't run them in my truck for this reason as well. I have 60lb springs but factory pistons. I don't want to risk engine damage if I were to break something and over rev it.

soooo........ us with "factory" engine internals can NOT run this spring set-up????

I was really really thinking of doing these springs but I dont want to risk engine damage while running them.

so whats the verdict.

Lance

well...Jeff's already mad at me for "letting the cat out O the bag" on these springs, as it really was his intent to only sell these with an install, for a number of reasons..... so I prob. should not add this to the thread, but, my truck has stock 160 pump, pistons & original valve springs with 250k miles on them, & it works Awesome.
He did say something about, If I broke an input shaft, I would crash valves.... so I installed a Billet, shot peened input shaft, & a steel 4 pinnion front planet that same day.
So I guess what it boils down to is, if you want a cheap couple of extra HP, buy something else. If you are serious about Hauling ass with a Cummins....Go see Jeff. He'll tell you if your ready for these...or not.
Thats one of the best things about Garmons Diesel performance... as well as being the undisputed Cummins King....Jeff WILL warn you when your about to screw the chicken ;-)

The king (Elvis?) speaks here:
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7380

Last edited:
DavidTD said:
Guys, these springs would allow more than 5k rpm should a driveline part fail. If the engine didn't have the valvetrain and/or valve to piston clearance, contact between valves and pistons would result. Jeff's kit contains new retainers and springs. To my knowledge, Jeff doesn't intend to sell them outside of his shop for the above reason.

I actually don't run them in my truck for this reason as well. I have 60lb springs but factory pistons. I don't want to risk engine damage if I were to break something and over rev it.

So are you saying if you got your pistons fly cut you would be able to run these springs safetly? or do you need all new pistons?

I haven't had any issues running them with my stock valve springs, but a set of performance valve springs would be good insurance.

I was lucky enough to get a set of these and man are they nice. cant say thanks enough to The Jeff Garmon.