New noise coming from air intake and exhaust

I'm with Rich on this one. My 12 valve is making the exact type of noise but I can barely drive it. I'm pulling the head next weekend and getting it magnafluxed if the valves and pistons check out.

magnafluxed....as in?

so after a 10hr drive, i pull the oil cap off and i see a bit of "steam"... not like a locomotive or anything, but i can see it...

OK here's an easy test! Pull the injectors out get a hose that fits snug in the hole and attach to a blow gun. Pressurize each cylinder and listen..........!
Have a friend by the tail pipe and your ear by the oil fill. This will tell you which cylinder is toast!

Sounds like a burned valve to me.

x2 put your hand about a eighth inch away from the exhaust and if its pulled toward the exhaust when it makes the noise you got a bad exhaust valve. Thats on gassers anyway......

Last edited:
x2 put your hand about a eighth inch away from the exhaust and if its pulled toward the exhaust when it makes the noise you got a bad exhaust valve. Thats on gassers anyway......
tried that and it just keeps pushing my hand away. so i dont think its the valves. i started it up this morning and let it warm up and i now see smoke coming out of breather tube under truck and smoke coming out of oil filler cap.

Look....stop running the truck before you melt it completly down.
It's not gonna fix itself....like I said....pull the head and SEE what's going on.
It only takes a couple of hours.

i had that exact lub lub lub sound, it was noticeable in the exhaust and very noticeable ate the intake. turned out to be a bent pushrod, causing a valve to not open fully.

check the valve lash, if you have one thats way off, check the pushrod, spin it, if its not bent, then it could be a valve seat that dropped down. just sounds like a valve issue to me.

In my opinion the only thing that will make that noise is compression coming up against a valve that is not open when it should be. So posible causes are, Bent push rod, broken rockerarm, or head gasket blown between two cylinders. You said that valve adjustment was good. I'm betting on head gasket between cylinders, especially if noise is noticed in intake and exhaust.