New tires--Proxes as daily drivers??

Pitz

I still have Reverse
My Nitto Terra Grapplers are getting to the end of their life after 50K, so I'm going to have to replace them. I've been looking at the Toyo Proxes-- Anyone have them and use them for daily driving? Wear issues? Like em? Dislike?

I just had some Proxes STs put on my truck and really like how they ride on the street compaired to the Cooper Discovery SSTs I took off. I did have to go to a 18x9.5 wheel so I could get the size I wanted. Went with 305/60/18 because that was the smallest size under 20" wheel size that had a weight rating over 3000 lbs per tire for towing. I am very pleased with them as daily driver tires as well as on the track. I have only had them for a couple weeks and only made a couple passes so far.

I run the proxes st II's in a 305/50/20. They wear somewhat decent if you keep enough air in them and are great on traction. The only traction issues I have are powering through a corner in the rain wich is expected and 2wd lol.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll probably be getting them. Too bad there isn't much for competition in that size/type.

305/60/18
Looking to keep it around 32-33"

I'm running 305/45 22s(33") and have been pleased with treadwear. I don't sit there and burn them off but they have left numerous patches of rubber and seem to be wearing decent.

2008072309.jpg

They are a decent tire. Where before I would go sideways doing 40-50mph, now with the proxy's won't happen at that speed anymore. On highway they give a smoother ride and feel great. I am running 285/60/17 though, because I am lowering the truck in a few days after the front axle is done.

I'm running 305/45 22s(33") and have been pleased with treadwear. I don't sit there and burn them off but they have left numerous patches of rubber and seem to be wearing decent.

I really like the look of the 22's on the black rims- I may go with them next because the 305 60 18's are out of production. Right now I've got a line on some of the 18's that are left though--and I really can't justify getting the new rims yet.

They are a decent tire. Where before I would go sideways doing 40-50mph, now with the proxy's won't happen at that speed anymore. On highway they give a smoother ride and feel great. I am running 285/60/17 though, because I am lowering the truck in a few days after the front axle is done.

Sounds good- I'll be swapping my springs- 32" tires will just look silly with my lift in there!

I really like the look of the 22's on the black rims- I may go with them next because the 305 60 18's are out of production. Right now I've got a line on some of the 18's that are left though--and I really can't justify getting the new rims yet.

Crap, I should go buy another set and put them in storage.

Crap, I should go buy another set and put them in storage.
If they're a good tire, it might be worth it... I wonder if anyone will come out with a 32/33 street tire on an 18" rim any time soon....

PITZ, I heard somebody talking about the Kumho LT1 or LTZ lasting longer and giving better 60' times. I think it was UNBROKEN running them on his Ford/Cummins.

My next set of tires will be the Kumho since the price is the same or a little cheaper actually and they last longer. A little better 60' times.

Here are some Falken tires I have been looking at getting.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/285-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

PITZ, I heard somebody talking about the Kumho LT1 or LTZ lasting longer and giving better 60' times. I think it was UNBROKEN running them on his Ford/Cummins.

I'll have to check into them. I'm thinking about getting an extra set wheels stock 17's for racing. I'm really torn about putting smaller tires on. I think my truck looks/rides great with the 35's.....but that extra time in the 1/4 would be nice.

My Nitto Terra Grapplers are getting to the end of their life after 50K, so I'm going to have to replace them. I've been looking at the Toyo Proxes-- Anyone have them and use them for daily driving? Wear issues? Like em? Dislike?
----------------------------------
Pitz:

Like many of the other Members here, I am on my second set of the "Toyo Proxes ST" Tires on my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve and am very happy with them. On my last set, I got a little over 25,000 miles out of them but you have to keep them balanced and rotated to keep the wear even. They grip very well, work real good at the dragstrip and I feel that they also hold very well in the rain. I also "daily drive" the Toyos on my truck, however, I am not running quite as big a tire on my truck. I have the 275/70R/16's on my 96'.

Toyo recently came out with a little newer version of the "Toyo Proxes" Tire and it is referred to as the ST/2. The tread pattern on those is somewhat different than the older "V" type pattern on mine, but everyone I have talked to seems to like them.

Hope this has helped you some.

Good luck.

---------
John_P

Only thing with a smaller tire is that on Freeway runs, I run out of rpm's at 110mph

That's why I'm trying not to go too small. My 1/4 mile on the 35's ends up at about 114 right now. Can't go anything smaller than 31's.

are they a 8,10,12 ply... what is the lowest ply to run on a 3/4 dodge... all the tire shopes told to run a 10. ply.. no lower... so i was wondering what they could handle... can an 8 ply tire handle it.. on the front..

Not sure what ply they are, Oklahoma. I have heard that the old "ply" rules don't really stand up any more. Supposedly you just need to look at the weight rating and poundage. IE 3000lbs or load rang E.