New Tires, Suggestions?

countryman2672

I have a set of toyo m/t 285/75r17, 34x11.50r17. They wore kind of crappy and I only got 20,000 miles out of them and they really shouldn't even be on the road as it is. I had balancing beads in them and they're supposed to never need re balancing. I kept them at acceptable pressures and checked to make sure there was 100% tread contact. I'd like to get a set of Mud Terrains like the Toyos or Trail Grapplers but I want more than 20,000 miles and barely having any tread left. Tires Ive considered are Nitto trails and terras, toyo a/t and m/t, and the Hankook ATM in 35x12.50r18 or 325/65r18. Anyone with experience with these tires and sizes, itd really help if I could get some feedback. Im also worried about a D rated tire seeing as I to tow, not a lot but 12k a few times a year. They need to be good in snow and on ice as well. Mud is a plus but they dont have to be great seeing as my truck is 7600lbs I dont wheel in serious mud. Thanks!

Last edited:
that's odd - every set of toyo m/t's I've had balanced great, rode awesome, and got 50,000 miles +/- a few.

If you want something good in the snow and ice STFA from nitto terra grapplers. I've had a couple of sets and they suck on anything but dry pavement. They look good, that's about it.

I've heard good things about the baja atz's....

Nitto
second set 285 75/17 work great ride real nice -look good. First set went 42,000 K
2005 Ford PSD 135K on truck

I have a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers on my truck. When I bought the truck the had 3-4,000 miles on them. I put around 7 or 8,000 more and they still look brand new. I love them, they are one of the best tires I have had.

I just bought the nitto trails and I'm really liking them. I don't have anything to add about them tho only 350 miles on them.

I had the bfg at before these and really liked those tires. Were amazing on ice and snow and lasted me about 48-50k miles.

I've got mickey Thompson atzs I like them I can't comment on wear yet though. They haven't got but a thousand or so miles on em so far.

Ryan

I have toyo open country at's on my work truck and really like the tires but they have 20k miles on them and the back tires are pretty much shot. They were rotated regularly and are worn evenly. Tire Discounters said they will warranty them so I am also looking for a good AT tire that will last 50k miles.

I have the good year dura tracs they seem really nice not many miles on them yet though so cant give much input on longevity

Anyone towing at all and if so load d or e? I prefer E but my old FCIIs were D and did fine. Anyone else have comments on ice and snow?

Nitto trails did pretty good in the snow. Although it only snowed once here last year. They are load E and tow well.

If you only got 20k on the toyos then you are doing something wrong. And you should definitely be running load range E on the truck in your sig.

I wouldnt worry about load range D vs E seeing how that doesnt mean they have more or less rubber in them, look at what the max load is in pounds

I am currently running 285/70/17s in a rough m/t load range D, max load is 3195 lbs run as a single, and dont have any problem with them towing 20k

The hankooks are awesome and they will last 50,000. I have a customer that drives at least 50% gravel and got 40,000 out of a set.

If you only got 20k on the toyos then you are doing something wrong. And you should definitely be running load range E on the truck in your sig.

The tires are on a bone stock '05 F250. Theyve been rotated regularly and run at 60psi their whole life. Truck has never hauled heavy. I dont know what I could be doing wrong considering the tires are worn perfectly even.

I have had 3 sets of bfg a/t's and have all had close to or a little over 50,000 on them, I have also had 2 sets of cooper stt's and have got around 40 to 43,000 out of them and they kind of look like the toyo mt's but for the money I like my toyo's better, I think they look better and less road noise. just my .02

I run BFG KM'2s on my truck. There at 35k miles and still 35-40% tread and that pulling between 14k-25k lbs almost everyday. Plus you can get them in that size E rated. They have been the longest lasting tires I have ever run but the do require more rotations due to tread design. Well that and being on a F-350 with a coil front end.

The only thing I don't like about the KM2's are that there are no sipes in the tread.Alot of guys that I know that run KM2'S say they suck in the winter.On my Jeep I run General Grabber AT2 and they kick ass in the snow but I like a more aggressive tread on my diesels. On my 06 I run Toyo M/T's and I rotate them every 5000 miles but the truck hardly gets driven(23k).I might try Goodyear Duratracs on my 12v alot of guys seem to like them but not sure if you'll be able to get 50k out of them.

Tire siping is available from certain distributors, some swear by siped mt's for snow/ice.
The tools really aren't bad to purchase either.

Last edited: