New trans install advice

rbell

Hello Everyone,
Well I can hardly contain myself, the new Garmon Full Billet trans should be here in a day or so, I’m looking for some helpful advice on removing the old unit. Things like tools needed (sizes) and any other helpful hints to make the job go smooth. I’ve done of few swaps in the past but none on a HD truck. Thanks everyone…ROB

a big sledge hammer and a prybar to pull out the trans crossmember, it is a biotch, and make sure you have a trans jack.

Well I'm glad to hear I have one thing taken care of, the beer fridge is stocked...Good to go on the lift as well...

Yeah,transmission jack makes it a hole lot easier. Get some spray lube and spray between trans and transfer case. Mine was a pain in the a-- to get apart. I ended up giving a couple good hits on the flange with a big hammer and block of wood to jar it loose. Mine was seized together.

I've been spraying bolts and fittings all week in the hope that everything will come apart nicely. I guess we'll see Friday night, if all else fails I have BEER.

:Cheer:

i have done 5 auto swaps already and about 4 manual swaps. a 3 foot long 3/8's extension makes taking the bell housing bolts out easy

Thanks Bud, I'm just trying to get all my tools and fluid ready for the job. It will be great to have all the needed tools setting there ready to go. Fingers are crossed already...ROB

I'll have some pic's of the project, I'm sure it's been done in the past but I would like to do a thread to help others... I'll post everything once I ger her done..ROB

just make sure you take ur time when installing the new tran an get it right the first time trust me the rewards of the install is there

Taken my time for sure, even went and got permission from the boss (wife) to be out all night Friday if needed. I'm planning on getting started about 8:00am Friday, I'm pretty sure we'll be done before 9:00pm if all goes well.

Hoping I don't have to go that far, I've had mine out once before, it didn't fight me to much. Hope it doesn't this time either...Again, fingers crossed

Yep, got a few cans of brake clean and a big compressor. Are their any better ways of flushing the cooler?

we had my tranny out in 20 minutes, after it was built, it was back in, in 30 minutes and the truck was driving 30 minutes after that.