newbie ?'s

2k5dmax

Hello to all,my name is josh.Just bought an 05 dmax, havent had it a week yet. from what ive read here, ppe tuner seems to be the "best" handheld imo. i wanna do a cold air intake, magnaflow exhaust,egr delete and some sort of tune. will i get a code if i do an egr delete without a tuner? can i do all mods except tuner without hurting trans? lastly if i get a ppe tuner and occasionally run it on the high setting with just doing a suncoast converter. this will be driven 3-5 times a week. towing a 2place snowmobile trailer and maybe a 36 foot enclosed race car trailer once in a while.thanks.

Let's see...

A PPE tuner is a good canned tuner, but custom EFI Live tuning is just that, custom. My experience running a PPE tune is they run hot (on the EGT's) and smokey.

Yes you will throw a code if you delete the egr without changing the parameters in the tune. Also you'll want to do a PCV reroute on the truck. There are devices available to fool the computer without changing the tuning.

Plain and simple you need to build the trans if you plan on adding more than ~80 horsepower.

ok thanks. that helps a quite a bit. can i get away with just doin a torque converter?

id also look into an aftermarket turbo mouth piece there not to pricy and they seem to help more than the cold air intake,the stock one is very restrictive...and i just put a tuner on my truck bone stock truck with 120hp superchips tuner and i limped the tranny in 2days lol

i have a s and b intake and elbow and a 5 inch magnaflow on the way,prolly run that for a while. gonna throw a suncoast converter at it with efi live in a couple months and c what happens. not gonna beat on it to much anyways. will not be doin any sled pulls or anything like that. just a daily,wanna keep it for a while, gonna try and make it last

sweet!! and my tranny seems to be ok but i was in5th gear crusin and gave her half throttle to pass a car and it limped it cleared the codes and its still fine thats been 2weeks ago 1st threw 3rd seen to take the tune well but 4th and 5th hate it lol

I'm surprised at what the stock tranny will hold. I had roughly 16 hooks and about a dozen drag strip passes before she finally gave up. Definitely look into an aftermarket mouth piece, or a factory lbz mouthpiece. When I first got mine, I made every attempt to open the engine up and allow it to breath easier. 3" intercooler pipes, down pipe, drivers side manifold (It's restrictive where it necks down around the steering shaft) exhaust and 3" y-bridge. I know some of this isn't necessary and doesn't always add power but anytime you can achieve better air flow it's easier on the engine. I would start by swapping the lil stuff out and save for a tranny. That way if you get efi live you will get the most out of the truck. Good luck........it's addicting.

As others have stated opening up your truck is about the best place to start. You could have saved a little coin and went with a mbrp 4" though. After seeing my truck respond to EFI live I will personally stand by what little things I've done. Any way, look into the LBZ mouthpiece Ive heard they work well with the S&B. Might as well do a PCV reroute while youre in there, downpipe is a pain to do but once you see the stocker youll appreciate it. EGR plate is pretty simple to do and your truck should run fine with it, hell I never even got a dash light just the 2 egr codes on my edge monitor. As for tuning, for the price of a PPE you could get efi live and just run dsp2 for way cheaper, maybe a small tune and then a good tow tune. No sense in building your transmission if you don't need it or plan on needing it built. Just my .02

well thanks i appreciate your 2cents. i got a 5in MF and a s&b intake and s&B inlet. i installed them today, pretty happy with it. def could could have spent less $ money. gonna run it for a while. then get a tune. buddy of mine has efi live and some GM licenses, so i will have him prolly get me dsp5, will be able to save a little there. prolly get a suncoast converter at the very least.

Converter is obviously a weak link but isn't going to save your clutches