nhra water relocation

Aftermarket axle shafts are required per NHRA and IHRA rule books. I can't speak to the other organizations, but I do know that this is a rule that is very often overlooked, and because of that it deserves a second look by the rules committees to see if there should be a written exception. Requiring a 13 second 1 ton 4x4 to buy a full set of axles is the definition of ridiculous. Any authority overlooking certain rules invalidates all their rules and creates liability for themselves and the entity the rules were written for.

#racegreen

This is the rule I fought and was given leeway on this rule for our full floating stock axle design. It went up to NHRA division tech official. The rules can be discussed if there is a basis that makes sense.

I've been fortunate to not be hassled over that particular one, but I would have done the same thing as you if I had been. I'll probably run the radiator location rule up the chain at our local track and see how far I get.

Properly rated stuff is available. Just costs money.

It not so much as what speed or E.T. , but what class. If you race at divisional or as John Robinson does at national events, there is very little tolerance.

The rules have reasons, some for safety, so for other reasons. I know the aftermarket axle rule doesn't seem to make much sense, but If you have ever had a axle come shooting across the track at you, it kinda changes your mind. That is why the full floating axle rule exists by the way. If the flange on the end of the axle breaks, there is nothing to keep the axle in the housing. It has nothing to do with loosing traction on one wheel.

I have no idea on the water relocation rule. You can email the division tech inspector though. If you explain the question, and back up your stance with fact, they can/will bring it up to the NHRA rules committee.

Paul

This is the route I took. Inquired to my division tech director about the issue. It came down to the type of hose/connectors to the engine and securing method. Also having rear glass to keep the driver compartment separate to the radiator. Just like most of the rules, it is set up mostly for cars. The driver being in the same cabin is the big issue.

Last edited:
I remember years ago the rulebook said just flat out, "no IRS cars below 11.00".....then vipers and supras started running 9s and 8s privately, and then pretty soon vipers and vettes could go quicker than that off the showroom floor with tires and a driver. Now I can't find that rule anywhere.

The cooling thing just needs to be amended or have non stock core support vehicles be listed as falling under dragster rules.

I remember years ago the rulebook said just flat out, "no IRS cars below 11.00".....then vipers and supras started running 9s and 8s privately, and then pretty soon vipers and vettes could go quicker than that off the showroom floor with tires and a driver. Now I can't find that rule anywhere.

The cooling thing just needs to be amended or have non stock core support vehicles be listed as falling under dragster rules.

It should just say that you can't have the radiator inside the cab.

I was told by an nhra inspector that the aftermarket axle rule does not apply to full floating axles for you aren't going to lose a wheel if you violently break one. Then again that statement is no where in the rule book

Back