NHRDA adds National Points Championship to lineup

NHRDA

The NHRDA is adding yet another challenge to our Diesel Drag Racing competitors during the 2012 MBRP Diesel Drag Race Series.

This year the NHRDA will be adding a National Championship points system to our lineup and will crown 6 National Champions at the World Finals in Ennis Texas on October 13th 2012.

National Championship Points Rules-
All NHRDA sanctioned events will be awarded and count towards 2012 NHRDA National Championship.

Points earned:
10 championship points awarded for making one round of qualifying.
30 championship points will be awarded for a first round loss.
40 championship points will be awarded for a first round win and 10 points for subsequent round wins.
10 Bonus points will be awarded to each event winner.

For complete info on all rules and classes go http://www.nhrda.com/Rules.htm

So there will be a world finals champion and a national points champion for each class?

So what are you saying, will there still be Rgional Campions or will that go away and there be only National Points champions or both?

I like it, it's a little more like modern NHRA racing. While the winner of the World Finals will be a prestigious title (since all of the big name competitors will be present), but it will take consistent performances to win the overall points championship. Crap, I'd better get my Pro Stock truck done so I can earn some points with it!

I see in the rules that if a rain out, there will be no points awarded. I'd think that if teams traveled to an event, there should be some form of points awarded. Even if it was on tech card purchases or something. This is a way to support the teams that travel.

I also think the points for a win should be higher than 10 points which is the same as a standard round win.

World Finals double points will add to that event for sure and keep trucks entered and competing if they are out ahead by a decent margin before the finals.

Last edited:
I see in the rules that if a rain out, there will be no points awarded. I'd think that if teams traveled to an event, there should be some form of points awarded. Even if it was on tech card purchases or something. This is a way to support the teams that travel.

I also think the points for a win should be higher than 10 points which is the same as a standard round win.

World Finals double points will add to that event for sure and keep trucks entered and competing if they are out ahead by a decent margin before the finals.

^^^^ what he said^^^^

^^^ agree! It does look like the winner gets another 10 points on top of the final round win, which does reward the overall winner.

Rob,
If a race is called due to inclement weather, 10 qualifying points WILL be awarded to each competitor that makes a qualifying pass for each class that completes a round of qualifying. If an event is cancelled at Firebird due to weather do the racers that drive from Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Oregon, and Washington get any points for travel? I know that Pacific Raceways here in Kent will reschedule the event if possible but no points will be awarded if the event is cancelled.

An NHRDA event win is worth 20 points, 10 points for the round win and 10 bonus points for the event win. That is 20 points more than anyone else gets.

Jim

I didn't mention Firebird. If there is a rain out when there are no runs, then what Jim. If you are OK traveling to an event and not get any points, that is fine, I'd rather see travel rewarded to help this sport grow if an event is rained out.

Twenty points sounds better, but still not enough IMHO. But I see it from your point of view, red lighting doesn't win events, so you don't want to reward the winners too much. LOL.

thats a great idea with all the traveling we are doing this season i might be able to pull some good points for the national points championship!!

i do also agree with Rob that if there is a rainout event then the people that traveled and showed up should still get some points.

i always liked the fact dhra had that. that motivated me to travel and go. good call.

The scenerio where no runs are made due to inclement weather is explicitly covered in the points rules - no runs...no points. I used Firebird as an example.

Red lights and bad weather are a part of racing. If I red light I put my street tires on, watch some racing, and go home. If the event is rained out mother nature just saved me 45 minutes of hard (for me) labor. In either case I go home. There are no guarantees in racing except you have to make the event in order to accumulate points. Guess you need to watch weather.com so you can make an informed decision. (Wish I knew how to spell lOl)

Last edited:
Why would you have a "World Champion" if you never leave the US?

question.

do people that race in multiple divisions only get divisional points when racing in their division? and the others go towards national points? or can 1 person be a champion in every division?

Back