NHRDA adds National Points Championship to lineup

Way it reads you can win any and all divisions as long as you accumulate the most points in that class in each division. So div 4 points won do not go towards a div 2 total they would only go to a National championship. I would assume World Championship race points would only count to the National Points total. Not sure if that clears things up or not but sounded good in my head LOL.

question.

do people that race in multiple divisions only get divisional points when racing in their division? and the others go towards national points? or can 1 person be a champion in every division?

You get points for each division in which you race. In 2009 I won Sportsman in Divisions 1, 2, & 6. Last year I won Sportsman in Division 3 and was co-champion in Division 1 with Nathan Black, Michael Pliska, and Verlon Southwick. Look at the 2011 points on the NHRDA site and you will see other multi-divisional winners in other classes. National Championship points will be cumulative no matter what division(s) you race in.

Jim

Way it reads you can win any and all divisions as long as you accumulate the most points in that class in each division. So div 4 points won do not go towards a div 2 total they would only go to a National championship. I would assume World Championship race points would only count to the National Points total. Not sure if that clears things up or not but sounded good in my head LOL.

I think you are correct and, if double points are awarded at the World Championship race, the National Champion could actually be someone other than the World Champion winner for each class.

Jim

The scenerio where no runs are made due to inclement weather is explicitly covered in the points rules - no runs...no points. Guess you need to watch weather.com so you can make an informed decision. (Wish I knew how to spell lOl)

I'm sure glad you don't make decisions in the NHRDA, as you don't listen to racers. The NHRDA has been a great place for racers, I hope this continues and not in the direction of your mind set.

I'm sure glad you don't make decisions in the NHRDA, as you don't listen to racers. The NHRDA has been a great place for racers, I hope this continues and not in the direction of your mind set.

The NHRDA uses the NHRA as it's template - rules, classes, chassis certifications, and points. Get an NHRA rule book and read it.

The NHRDA uses the NHRA as it's template - rules, classes, chassis certifications, and points. Get an NHRA rule book and read it.

Nhra doesn't have to entice or beg people to come to their event, nhrda does.

While they use the NHRA as a template. I do believe Rob has a valid point. I do not recall the NHRA not running a race if it gets rained out it is rescheduled. They also have huge corporate sponsors as well as race teams with tons of sponsors, money and backing as this is their full time jobs. I do not know of any teams in the NHRDA who have that kind of backing. It would make for a valid point of adding a default points score just for showing up. I mean lets get real here the whole idea of this is to get more teams to more races is it not?

Hmmm, maybe I should change my way of thinking about points. I've made every race except 2 since 2006 in Divisions 1, 2, & 6 on a Social Security budget. Could have used those show up points in the Championship totals.

Not to sound demeaning or belittling your accomplishments but travel and maintenance expenses are a bit different between running SD and SM from the Pro class's....

Just saying it is one thing to drive your daily driver to the track swap tires and run a class vs pulling a trailer and keeping up repairs and maintenance on a truck in a heads up class and expect to be competitive.

heres something i didnt really get about how the points work, especially now with a national points series. If someone is from one division youd think they could only win that division. any races from other divisions would just count as national points.

from the nhra site:

At the time a driver enters a Divisional event for the first time of the season, it is required that said driver declare which of the seven NHRA Divisions is to be his home Division. That Division will become his home Division for the season. Contestants are not permitted to be listed in more than one Division in the same category

We tried to award points for show up in our earlier years and it didnt work out very well.

Here is example we had event at Mission Raceway years ago that got rained out at 9am we left the track about 11am and then i got a call from competitor that claimed he was at the track at 11.30 am to get his tech card but of course no one was still at the track. It was a tough spot because you dont want competitors that were at the track to get mad at someone that supposedly show up late and on the flip side dont want to call someone a liar.

So that is why we developed our rain out rule it has been the same for 5 years and has worked very well. This way we have a tower record from qualifying and proof of what competitors were at the track

I do believe that we here at the NHRDA do try to do what is best for all competitors and the growth of our sport and thank you for your input and hope we keep moving our sport forward in a very positive manner both as an organization and as competitors.

heres something i didnt really get about how the points work, especially now with a national points series. If someone is from one division youd think they could only win that division. any races from other divisions would just count as national points.

from the nhra site:

At the time a driver enters a Divisional event for the first time of the season, it is required that said driver declare which of the seven NHRA Divisions is to be his home Division. That Division will become his home Division for the season. Contestants are not permitted to be listed in more than one Division in the same category

What you scared Rob going to win the single race you won for your Div Champ? :shake:

Not to sound demeaning or belittling your accomplishments but travel and maintenance expenses are a bit different between running SD and SM from the Pro class's....

Just saying it is one thing to drive your daily driver to the track swap tires and run a class vs pulling a trailer and keeping up repairs and maintenance on a truck in a heads up class and expect to be competitive.

Thank you for your comments. I don't know your name but would probably recognize it. I would love to run SD but can't afford the cost to get to that point to be competitive. That being said I don't begrudge anyone who is able to financially compete in the faster classes. I do everything I can to promote the NHRDA. I was stopped by the Montana State Patrol on my way to Billings last year. I spent 20 minutes explaining what we are all about and that any of their fellow officers interested in diesel motorsports should attend the event. Fortunately, I didn't get a ticket. I believe it is the responsibility of all of us to promote the NHRDA and each of the events we have on the calendar. I think Randy has done an exceptional job of providing a level playing field for all of us. I know first hand how many hours he dedicates to making the NHRDA the organization that it has become today. Nothing will ever be completely acceptable to everyone. For my part I accept the direction that Randy has laid out for us and will do whatever I can to promote his vision. The only thing I could wish for is an exemption from RED lights.

Jim

Thank you for your comments. I don't know your name but would probably recognize it. I would love to run SD but can't afford the cost to get to that point to be competitive. That being said I don't begrudge anyone who is able to financially compete in the faster classes. I do everything I can to promote the NHRDA. I was stopped by the Montana State Patrol on my way to Billings last year. I spent 20 minutes explaining what we are all about and that any of their fellow officers interested in diesel motorsports should attend the event. Fortunately, I didn't get a ticket. I believe it is the responsibility of all of us to promote the NHRDA and each of the events we have on the calendar. I think Randy has done an exceptional job of providing a level playing field for all of us. I know first hand how many hours he dedicates to making the NHRDA the organization that it has become today. Nothing will ever be completely acceptable to everyone. For my part I accept the direction that Randy has laid out for us and will do whatever I can to promote his vision. The only thing I could wish for is an exemption from RED lights.

Jim

I agree!

Doubt you know my name as I am pretty much a no body. My wife made more rounds than I did this year in SM and winning the jackpot race at Ennis. I hope to have her running SD this year.

Jake Snowden

P.S. if I was smart I would have stuck with SM and SD... Now I am just broke haha

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are getting quick. Photos and points after only a couple days! Very cool.

Awesome that pics and points are up less than a week out from the race. Hope you are able to keep this up thoughout the season.

Verlon is going to be tough to beat for Division 2 champion if he comes to Redding, and there are not that many trucks in Super Diesel. 23 trucks makes for a good point total if you win or finish high. Nice job on getting the pictures and points up so quick. Great start to the racing season.

Last edited:
Damn, I forgot you don't drop any races in national points, so I need to get this dang truck done soon! Will probably fly in to race a couple of races in Sportsman to try and get my point total going there!

So how was this resolved will there be double points awarded at the World Championships in Texas in Oct or not? Great idea for sure. Make the races much more interesting.

Back